Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

re: A Couple of My Favorites

Message 11 of 16
In Response to post:

Hi!  Since I am in the Chicagoland area I might be able to find the film.  It will probably depend on how much effort I'll put into it!

I do agree that it will take quite a bit to make movie theatres disappear, especially since so much money  these huge complexes with all the things that they offer.  I once had a client who managed a theatre, and he said that they never made money on the ticket price, the profit was all in the concession stand.  Now that there are so many video games and other attractions for the kids, some of them might want to stay all day!  I know it can get quite expensive when I take my granddaughters, as they want everything they see!  No worries, I am pretty good at putting my foot down! LOL

'Sophie's Choice' is on my list of best books ever read, and I found the movie to be enthralling, even if it didn't have quite the same impact.  I, too, like to read the book before I see the film.  I was almost enraged by the liberties taken in the filming of "The Horse Whisperer", especially the ending.  It was hard to view it just as the movie it was.  My friend who saw it with me loved it and saw nothing wrong at all, but then she hadn't read the book.

Maggie

I forgot to mention:  You have granddaughters. I've been wanting one, but my son has said his family is complete now with 3 boys. I love them all, but I'm a little jealous.

Will you be taking your granddaughters to see the movie "Kitt Kitteridge, American Girl ".  I'm going to want to see that one.

I have a collection of Shirley Temple movies. One of my foster kids, from a few years ago just loved them, and watched one after another. She was 15 or 16, so I was surprised, I guess, to see that she enjoyed them so much.

D

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16
In Response to post:

Hi!  Since I am in the Chicagoland area I might be able to find the film.  It will probably depend on how much effort I'll put into it!

I do agree that it will take quite a bit to make movie theatres disappear, especially since so much money  these huge complexes with all the things that they offer.  I once had a client who managed a theatre, and he said that they never made money on the ticket price, the profit was all in the concession stand.  Now that there are so many video games and other attractions for the kids, some of them might want to stay all day!  I know it can get quite expensive when I take my granddaughters, as they want everything they see!  No worries, I am pretty good at putting my foot down! LOL

'Sophie's Choice' is on my list of best books ever read, and I found the movie to be enthralling, even if it didn't have quite the same impact.  I, too, like to read the book before I see the film.  I was almost enraged by the liberties taken in the filming of "The Horse Whisperer", especially the ending.  It was hard to view it just as the movie it was.  My friend who saw it with me loved it and saw nothing wrong at all, but then she hadn't read the book.

Maggie

Hi   Maggie,

"Sophie's Choice" is a book you sort of move into and live, along with the characters.  I don't imagine any movie could capture the impact.  To do so, it would have had to be 6 hours long, minimum.

Oh absolutely.  They really messed up with the ending for the movie "The Horse Whisperer".  I loved that book and have only seen the movie once, but read the book 2 or 3 times.  I had it on tape, then loaned it out, and never got it back again. I may just have to look for it to reread.

When I was up north last summer my son, daughter-in-law and the 3 grandsons all went to see the newest Harry Potter. It can be a very expensive trip for all 6 of us. Since I live so far away, I usually try to treat to different things when I go up there. Anyway, it was a good movie, but there was a man a few rows behind us that sounded as if he was trying to hawk up a loogie about every 3 minutes. Yuk. 

Time for me to go to bed. It's past my bedtime.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16
In Response to post:

Hi Maggie,

You may have a tough time finding "Last of the Blond Bombshells" at a video store, and may need to look on-line.  At least, in a town as small as where I live, that would be necessary.

I doubt that anything is going to cause the demise of the theatres. There are just those who really enjoy the big screen experience.  I'm not one of them though. I think I've only been in one perhaps 2 or maybe 3 times in the past 10 years. I do like rewind, pause, and volumn control that comes with a DVD viewing at home. 

I just recently bought "Out of Africa" and "Sophia's Choice" on DVD.  I spend almost a week reading the book, "Sophie's Choice", and felt like I had to see it. I'm glad I read the book first. It made so much of the story clearer for me.

I'm sure I will have to own "Mamma Mia".   Meryl Streep is terrific.

Maggie

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16
In Response to post:

I also loved "Second Hand Lions", and Michael Caine and Robert Duvall are a couple of my favorite actors.  I will certainly look for "The Last of the Blonde Bombshells" at my video store.

I agree with you that the DVD extra features bring more enjoyment of the film, but sometimes wonder if all of that is going to bring even higher ticket prices and the eventual demise of the big screen theatres.  There is still something wonderful about seeing a film, especially a very scenic one, on the big screen.  "Out of Africa" with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford comes to mind.

Can't wait to see "Mamma Mia" in the future, although it seems to me that the small screen would not hurt the impact of this film.  Meryl Streep once again demonstrates her incredible ability to take on so many different characters.  Does anyone know if the vocals are hers?  She did her own vocals in "Prairie Home Companion" and was really quite good.

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

You may have a tough time finding "Last of the Blond Bombshells" at a video store, and may need to look on-line.  At least, in a town as small as where I live, that would be necessary.

I doubt that anything is going to cause the demise of the theatres. There are just those who really enjoy the big screen experience.  I'm not one of them though. I think I've only been in one perhaps 2 or maybe 3 times in the past 10 years. I do like rewind, pause, and volumn control that comes with a DVD viewing at home. 

I just recently bought "Out of Africa" and "Sophia's Choice" on DVD.  I spend almost a week reading the book, "Sophie's Choice", and felt like I had to see it. I'm glad I read the book first. It made so much of the story clearer for me.

I'm sure I will have to own "Mamma Mia".   Meryl Streep is terrific.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16
In Response to A Couple of My Favorites
:

Hi,

I love movies too, and especially ones that are for grown ups.
Not that I don't enjoy many of the "kids" movies. I just
don't like the violent, or stupid, over done sexploytation things that
seem to be written by naughty nine year olds.

Since many of you like Judi Dench, as do I, you
should also see another one of my favorites of hers. "The Last of
the Blonde Bombshells" stars Judi Dench and Ian Holm, with
Olympia Dukakis, Leslie Caron and Cleo Laine. I think it's from year

Another favorite is "Secondhand Lions" with Michael
Caine, Robert Duvall, and Haley Joel Osment. 

I love the extra features in the DVD's. Learning about the making of
the movies, and seeing some of the actual Windmill girls, in
"Mrs. Henderson Presents", has become a big part of my enjoyment. 

I also loved "Second Hand Lions", and Michael Caine and Robert Duvall are a couple of my favorite actors.  I will certainly look for "The Last of the Blonde Bombshells" at my video store.

I agree with you that the DVD extra features bring more enjoyment of the film, but sometimes wonder if all of that is going to bring even higher ticket prices and the eventual demise of the big screen theatres.  There is still something wonderful about seeing a film, especially a very scenic one, on the big screen.  "Out of Africa" with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford comes to mind.

Can't wait to see "Mamma Mia" in the future, although it seems to me that the small screen would not hurt the impact of this film.  Meryl Streep once again demonstrates her incredible ability to take on so many different characters.  Does anyone know if the vocals are hers?  She did her own vocals in "Prairie Home Companion" and was really quite good.

Maggie

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

A Couple of My Favorites

Message 16 of 16

Hi,

I love movies too, and especially ones that are for grown ups.
Not that I don't enjoy many of the "kids" movies. I just
don't like the violent, or stupid, over done sexploytation things that
seem to be written by naughty nine year olds.

Since many of you like Judi Dench, as do I, you
should also see another one of my favorites of hers. "The Last of
the Blonde Bombshells" stars Judi Dench and Ian Holm, with
Olympia Dukakis, Leslie Caron and Cleo Laine. I think it's from year

Another favorite is "Secondhand Lions" with Michael
Caine, Robert Duvall, and Haley Joel Osment. 

I love the extra features in the DVD's. Learning about the making of
the movies, and seeing some of the actual Windmill girls, in
"Mrs. Henderson Presents", has become a big part of my enjoyment. 

Kudos
Views
Replies