Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

requirement for phone number

feedback on new requirement for phone number: you won't accept my phone number so I will not be able to rejoin, even though I would like to. Instead I suggest that you use Google authenticator, a much more secure way to do 2 factor authentication. I also don't use social media since it is so abusive of my personal info and is severely lacking in security.

I guess I don't get the need for this much security--nothing on AARP that is very private anyway.  My bank is easier!!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

If people don't like Google Authenticator, there are a lot of authenticator programs out there. Amazon has one. Aegis is another one.

0 Kudos

I wish I could "like" this more than once. I've brought this up to AARP on several occasions over the past year at least, but they can't seem to understand that not all members have a "real" North American phone number, and they won't accept wireline or VoIP numbers. It's ridiculous to require a phone number for security anyway; phone numbers are hardly secure, as you point out. 

Community Concierge

@c84428m You've come to the right place. We're always looking for ways to improve your online security. If you use My Account on aarp.org or AARP Rewards, you will be prompted to secure your account by verifying your phone number. By sending a verification code directly to you, we're able to provide an extra level of security and ensure you're in control of your account. Are you receiving an error message when you try to enter your phone #? What exactly is happening when you attempt to complete this step?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Janelle

Please familiarize yourself with SIM swapping. https://us.norton.com/blog/mobile/sim-swap-fraud

Thank you!

Linda

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I don't know about the original poster, Janelle, but I have a landline through a voip. I can't do texts. Your system will not accept my phone number as valid when input.

Community Concierge

@MaryH549666 I understand, Mary. If you are unable to use an alternate phone #, I can create an escalation for further assistance from our team to get your account verified. If you'd like me to escalate for you, please send me a private message with your email address and the phone # you're trying to use to verify your account. Here are the steps to send a private message on this site: How to Send a Private Message

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP