Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

requirement for phone number

feedback on new requirement for phone number: you won't accept my phone number so I will not be able to rejoin, even though I would like to. Instead I suggest that you use Google authenticator, a much more secure way to do 2 factor authentication. I also don't use social media since it is so abusive of my personal info and is severely lacking in security.

Contributor

I ran into this for the first time today and clicked "not now" when logging in. But if AARP requires 2FA and will not accept Google Voice Numbers (I use that because I can have the same number on all of my devices), I will end up not renewing my membership either.

Community Concierge

@lbohanon I can help with this! The error message, "Phone number not eligible," will populate during the AARP verification process when the phone number entered is a Voice Over IP (VOIP) number, which is not supported. If possible, please enter a different phone number. If you don't have another phone number available, we can create an exception request for you. Please send us a private message to have this processed. Here is an article that will show you how to activate Private messages: https://aarp.info/47hWcl7. I look forward to hearing back from you!  - Janelle M.

Contributor

It took me a while to find this. The article should clarify that you first need to click on "Community" in the upper right in order to find My Settings.
However, there is no Private Messenger tab that I can see -- just Preference Options, Display, Linear Layout, Threaded Layout, Home Page, Privacy, and Kudos.

Honored Social Butterfly

@jh9492 

Click on Preferences

Your Preference Options appear in a row

The Private Messenger option is in this row

Click on Private Messenger and you will have to turn it on and decide some other things as your choices.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you. But FWIW,  I think this is obviously a case of AARP ignoring a segment of the membership. Why does AARP NEED a phone number!? As others have pointed out that is not super secure, and besides my AARP account does not contain critical information. My bank does not require 2FA! My suspicion is that this is just a way for AARP to send us more marketing.

I just renewed for one year only (I could still hit "not now" on the phone number). Once that option no longer exists, I am going to let my membership of over 20 years lapse. Please listen to your members.

Community Concierge

I will be happy to provide you with information on phone number verification. When you add your phone number as a verified phone number on our site, it will only be used to verify your identity and won't be shared or used for any other purpose. We require your phone number so we can make sure that your account remains secure. I am happy to leave note of your feedback, thank you - Caleb G.

0 Kudos

I guess I don't get the need for this much security--nothing on AARP that is very private anyway.  My bank is easier!!!

Periodic Contributor

If people don't like Google Authenticator, there are a lot of authenticator programs out there. Amazon has one. Aegis is another one.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I wish I could "like" this more than once. I've brought this up to AARP on several occasions over the past year at least, but they can't seem to understand that not all members have a "real" North American phone number, and they won't accept wireline or VoIP numbers. It's ridiculous to require a phone number for security anyway; phone numbers are hardly secure, as you point out. 

Community Concierge

@c84428m You've come to the right place. We're always looking for ways to improve your online security. If you use My Account on aarp.org or AARP Rewards, you will be prompted to secure your account by verifying your phone number. By sending a verification code directly to you, we're able to provide an extra level of security and ensure you're in control of your account. Are you receiving an error message when you try to enter your phone #? What exactly is happening when you attempt to complete this step?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Janelle

Please familiarize yourself with SIM swapping. https://us.norton.com/blog/mobile/sim-swap-fraud

Thank you!

Linda

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I don't know about the original poster, Janelle, but I have a landline through a voip. I can't do texts. Your system will not accept my phone number as valid when input.

Community Concierge

@MaryH549666 I understand, Mary. If you are unable to use an alternate phone #, I can create an escalation for further assistance from our team to get your account verified. If you'd like me to escalate for you, please send me a private message with your email address and the phone # you're trying to use to verify your account. Here are the steps to send a private message on this site: How to Send a Private Message

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP