Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What's the point of the AARP?

No, seriously? I've been giving you money for membership only to be slammed with being asked for money for membership and there is a 75/25 ratio of ads/info. 

What actual things do you do for people over 50? 

Accountability and clarity never enter the conversation. 

I get that you lobby in DC. 

What else? 

And your biggest articles are written by UNDER 50 so that also sends a message that is counter to your mission. 

Does anyone get anything valuable out of this organization? 

Yes. I paid $12 for a membership, I get $10 off each month of my AT&T bill. So that is a no-brainer. I recently got a receipt at Walgreens with a code for another year's membership for free. So that makes my membership $6 a year. So now my Walgreens is now linked so I expect more savings. Do some research and you will see how much it will help you.

0 Kudos
Contributor

i love the  articles about health and food and  discounts on places i use is nice as well . for me i joined because im getting older and lots of the articles help me deal with getting older like my eating habits how to make sure my money is safe . for me aarp is worth every dime and more because they do look out for us older folks

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@khCocoCakes I appreciate your membership! AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, social welfare organization with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families — such as health care, employment and income security, and protection from financial abuse.

AARP’s affiliated charity, The AARP Foundation, works to win back opportunity for struggling Americans 50+ by being a force for change on the most serious issues they face today: housing, hunger, income and isolation.

In addition to these programs, AARP offers its members access to a wide range of benefits. I invite you to explore all of the membership benefits on our site here: https://www.aarp.org/learnaboutbenefits 

We advocate for those 50+ on issues such as age discrimination, family caregiver support, retirement savings, including social security and affordable housing just to name a few. To learn more about the policies we fight for visit: https://policybook.aarp.org/

We can also adjust those mailings for you. When you have a moment, please give us a call so we can update your mailing preferences:1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277).  I'm always here to help, please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything! 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The homepage gives several reasons, benefits if you are interested.  AARP.org

One must be a member to have an AARP United Healthcare Medicare Supplemental Plan - NOT Medicare Advantage.

I've been on this board since 2008, posting information with links on things this age group should know or may find interesting, answering questions, sometimes asking them on various subjects, reporting infractions especially from people that come here to solicit and they get by the mods.  I have never been a member; don't use any listed benefits.    So it is an individual choice.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna

I received a discount in my wireless service activation fee!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP