Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Unwanted email subscriptions--how to REALLY stop them?

Contributor

Unwanted email subscriptions--how to REALLY stop them?

Hi!

My spouse and I have been AARP members for a long time and we never subscribed to any of AARP's email lists. Recently, after reading an article in the AARP Bulletin, I decided to subscribe to the Fraud Watch newsletter. When I subscribed to that, AARP also pushed the Member Benefits Update, so I agreed to subscribe to it, too. 

Since then, I've been receiving a bunch of AARP emails on other topics:

• Guide to Medicare
  • AARP Driver Safety (3x!)
  • Some sort of online Coronavirus update

I've had to unsubscribe to each one of these individually, even though I never subscribed to them.

I contacted Member Support via chat and complained, but I'm still receiving all the unwanted emails.

What exactly do I have to do to stop receiving everything except the items I want to receive? Do I have to revert to not receiving anything in order to prevent this?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Community Concierge

@mk1693 @db64398535  You can edit which newsletters you receive here: https://help.aarp.org/s/article/update-which-aarp-email-newsletters-i-receive Any changes you make will take up to 10 business days to fully process due to pre-generated content. I'm always here to help if you need anything!

Contributor

Thanks, but that was the firs thing I did.

Right now, according to that page, I'm subscribed to two items, but it seems that AARP keeps inventing new items and auto-subscribing me to them.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@mk1693 Got it. The changes made to your emails can take up to 10 business days to fully process. Since these changes were completed between 4/15 and 4/26, you may be receiving emails that were pre-generated and no longer apply. You can also opt out of specific newsletters by clicking the "Unsubscribe" option found at the bottom of each email. 

0 Kudos

I agree, I am experiencing the same issue!! Annoying, I received four this morning for supposedly being down to two!!  Do we have to Unsubscribe to ALL??

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hello, there.

For me, I rely on going to 'My Settings'>Subscriptions & Notifications, deleting unwanted subscriptions (select all or just clicking a few and delete), then, over to the last tab>Notification Settings, and although I do not have mine turned off, you can tick any notifications (push, email, real-time, and/or mobile) to turn them 'Off.' That's how I would do it. Seems like you know your stuff pretty well, I might add. 

On another note, recently I deleted some unwanted subs, and now I do not receive any notifications via email, only anything I've posted that gets a kudo. I really don't know why. I'm also subbed to a few newsletters, and I don't get those either. This has occurred only recently. 

Hope you can get it worked out! 🙂

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP