Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Renewal w/ Wrong Gift & NO response

Did anyone renew their membership & receive the $10.00 Amazon GC as promised? I did the useless chat & when I was finally connected to an actual person, I needed to leave. Of course I have rec'd NO CONTACT since. I'll probably have to waste time trying to contact someone by phone to see if anyone actually knows what I am talking about, much less resolve my problem. It's ridiculous that the only way to have someone see it is through this forum rather than an actual email address. Thankfully I know to screenshot the offer---but again, no alternative than this. I've linked the offer here as I can't send a personal email as again, NO ONE has contacted me & it's been over 24 hrs. I contacted them as the WRONG gift is attached to my membership, and I did not want them to 1} waste the postage to send it to me as I live in HI, and 2} to keep it for someone else that actually wants it. I don't want the membership, so am now considering it to be a donation thing rather than something that I am actually a memebr of as I don't care anymore. AARP Renewal +GC.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Periodic Contributor

Thank You for relating your experience! I finally called, & both the CS rep & I were both shocked when I got in so quickly {I never did receive that call back  when I had tried to get in 2 hrs prior & left a message}. KARIN was very polite & understanding of the issue.  We left on the note that she would get back to me after the Rewards dept got back to her. I rec'd an email from her on that day, and 3 days later, I FINALLY rec'd the $10 Amazon GC. Honestly, I've done surveys for 5 minutes & rec'd the Amazon immediately afterwards. This was such an ordeal, I'm worried when I will actually need AARP for something. Ironically, even though a couple of friends & family belong to AARP, no one has actually used any of their services: it's just something to have as, prior to this futile renewal process, we all believed AARP was something good. AARP's Better Business Bureau's profile states otherwise. Here's hoping that AARP will strive for better communication & actual integrity in their future dealings!

View solution in original post

Contributor

I just renewed with same offer in my account on login.  I, too did not receive the promised Amazon gift card in the time frame outlined (48 hours).  My offer was in my account this past week (so after the expiration on your offer as listed).

Community Concierge

@ThomasY337607 I was able to review your account and I see that you did redeem the $10 Amazon gift card offer! We created an escalation for further assistance with your gift card on July 5, you can expect to hear back from our escalations team within 3-5 business days. Also, be sure to check your spam folders in case the email landed there. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Now seven business days since customer service told me it would be remedied in 3-5. Still no Amazon gift card.

Community Concierge

@ThomasY337607 Thank you for letting me know. I'm so sorry you have not received that gift card yet. I have created a new escalation to the next tier. I know this can be frustrating, but please allow another 3-5 business days for resolution. Thank you so much for your understanding. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've talked to customer service 4 times and have still not received the $10 Amazon gift card. First call, I received a case/escalation number and a promise that I will be contacted within 3-5 business days. After no response on the 6th business day, I called and the rep I spoke with said sometimes it takes more than 5 business days. Third call, I called membership and they said I had to talk with rewards. Fourth call took the longest and was extremely patronizing when they checked seemingly every email that AARP sent out "just to make sure." Their headset was also causing an echo during the call that they acknowledged but refused to fix, which made the call extra frustrating. I asked if there were any notes for the case number I originally got, and they told me it was closed but with no notes. I have screenshots of my renewal, the campaign ID number, and the charge on my credit card to prove I completed the renewal with this promotion. The rep said I was not alone in not getting the Amazon gift card and that there was a glitch on the website. I waited on the phone patiently for him to resolve the issue, but then eventually the call just went silent. The call wasn't disconnected, I wasn't told at all I was placed on hold, I repeated "hello?" multiple times, and after additional minutes of silence, had no choice but to hang up with no resolution, again. I don't think it's too much to ask that when an organization offers a promotion and the customer takes them up on it that the organization follows through with what was promised. What I didn't ask for was this horrible run-around, wasting my time and with no resolution in sight.

Community Concierge

@AC72356 I'm so sorry for all of the frustration this has caused. I was able to review your account, and I see that you're the secondary member. When you processed this renewal offer, the gift card was sent to the primary member's email address as the complimentary membership gifts are sent to the primary member by default. Please check Lam's email account for the $10 Amazon Gift Card email that was sent on June 30. Be sure to also check the spam folders. I'm always here if you need anything further!

0 Kudos
Contributor

There was no $10 Amazon Gift Card email sent to either of our accounts on June 30th. The only email received regarding the renewal on June 30th is an email with the subject line:

Thank you for renewing your AARP membership

There was no gift card in that email. If there was, I wouldn't still be asking for it. And of course we've already checked the spam folders. If you feel that an email was sent with the gift card, can you tell me what the subject line is because we've both looked at the Aarp emails sent since June 30th. In fact, your rep, during that fourth phone call I previously mentioned also looked at emails sent, and they didn't see it either. I don't know how many times I have to explain that it's not "user error" at this point.

Community Concierge

@AC72356 Thank you for letting me know that you've had an opportunity to check both email accounts for the gift card. I was able to escalate this to our next level of support to have this addressed. Please allow up to 3-5 business days for a resolution. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hope that this is resolved w/ minimal activity from you---Good Luck!!!!

{Obviously I don't trust AARP as they lack integrity--again, as shown multiple times in their BBB profile. And: I now see that I have a pkg out for delivery today. I mentioned many many times that I do NOT want that cheap-looking set as I wanted to save them the shipping to HI. Wasteful w/ their money because AARP does not listen

Conversationalist

This happened to me also. I called customer service and was told I would receive my promo in 24 to 48 hrs. Did not happen and their response of renewing thru the original email is also bogus. It disappeared from my email. I am very disappointed in AARP as they are supposed to be looking out for us seniors. Thanks for the screen shot-I wasn't smart enough to do so. Good luck to both of us

Periodic Contributor

As I have rec'd NO further communication addressing this issue, I was going to do that horrible time-wasting exercise of calling them---but now I won't as your reply definitely makes my thought of it being time-wasting a reality. VERY DECEPTIVE & lacking integrity----things which I had previously not attributed to AARP & its practices. I'll have to compose one of those time-consuming but necessary letter to the Better Business Bureau. Those don't actually do anything but at least it will be out there for other people to see. And wow---prior to this, I had no need to visit their BBB site. AARP has many angry people there. It does not have an accredited BBB profile. I might want to call for another reason now: to cancel my membership. Very disappointing.

Conversationalist

Me again-This time I must apologize to AARP and you. I received my gift card in my email today (not in the time frame customer service had stated, but it did come.) I hope you will consider calling customer service as it evidently helped me to do so. Good luck, my friend!

Periodic Contributor

Thank You for relating your experience! I finally called, & both the CS rep & I were both shocked when I got in so quickly {I never did receive that call back  when I had tried to get in 2 hrs prior & left a message}. KARIN was very polite & understanding of the issue.  We left on the note that she would get back to me after the Rewards dept got back to her. I rec'd an email from her on that day, and 3 days later, I FINALLY rec'd the $10 Amazon GC. Honestly, I've done surveys for 5 minutes & rec'd the Amazon immediately afterwards. This was such an ordeal, I'm worried when I will actually need AARP for something. Ironically, even though a couple of friends & family belong to AARP, no one has actually used any of their services: it's just something to have as, prior to this futile renewal process, we all believed AARP was something good. AARP's Better Business Bureau's profile states otherwise. Here's hoping that AARP will strive for better communication & actual integrity in their future dealings!

Conversationalist

Yeaaa!! Thank goodness! Thanks for letting me know.

Community Concierge

I'm here to help! This special renewal offer can only be processed online or from the email you received, until June 13, 2022. Once you accept the offer, a confirmation email providing the digital gift card will be sent within 24-48 hours. I verified your recent renewal and I see it's not the right offer but I don't have a link. I recommend renewing again from the special offer or email, then reach out so we can verify it and adjust your membership by refunding the first $12. Thanks!

Periodic Contributor

Is your reply the end of this now DECEPTIVE offer? Looking forward to a satisfactory resolution. Thank you.

Periodic Contributor

The offer was on your page, w/ NO details about it being INVITE ONLY.  The red RENEW NOW button worked for me---I was able to RENEW from that Button----so the $10 Amazon GC offer should be valid. Also: Please DO NOT send that 3 pc travel thing. I do not need a cheaply made set & am trying to save you the cost of postage. Wonder how many messages it will take before I actually receive the advertised/as promised $10 Amazon GC. Thank you for your assistance.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP