Re: Early Renewal Notices

I still have 4 years until 2025 expiration. Is AARP trying to fool seniors in paying over & over for their membership? I thought they were protecting seniors. I constantly get notices to renew. I have even called to complain, they don't stop!

0 Kudos

Same issue, plus the cardboard membership card. From mail that used to be accepted, now bounced from a "do-not-reply" mail address.

Taken a while to respond.

I received my “permanent” card. A piece of cheap cardboard. Works well in a very high humidity place like Miami.  Cardboard. And you people have the guts to ask for donations? Can you honestly justify not supplying a real card, the cost of which is nominal? You people screw around, asking members to renew 6 months or more before renewal date, then you send CARDBOARD?

Pretty trashy. Second class all the way.

Below; a copy of my response sent in September, 2020, for the first notice of my 2021 JUNE expiration:

Then don’t you think it a bit trashy to send a notice for renewal in June or July of 2020, requesting response by 8/16/2020? Particularly since I was then unable to review my account because of incompetence on the website builders part, with my logon credentials unchanged from years of use, as well as the amazingly insulting sign-in process where one has to pick out things like bridges and cars in lousy photos, requiring zooming control for those with monitors set for something other than for people with poor vision and need to set their monitors at high magnification.

Organizations such as yours where renewals are requested months and years in advance, particularly when they refuse to post the user expiration date on the face of the renewal, should have closer Federal regulation to eliminate misrepresentation.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@nj167774  Let's look into this. When you have a moment, please give us a call: 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) so we can investigate those mailings. Also, please keep in mind that any mailings addressed to "Valued Member" are mass mailings that go to all households and they are not specifically directed to you.

0 Kudos

I have called to complain about this very thing, every year. Your organization knows very well about this. I used to do mass mailings for a small company and I was able to customize selection by customer status or demographics. Maybe it is time to place complaints about this elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I negotiate all my subscriptions from xm radio, to the newspaper, to Time Magazine, to AARP membership.

I get at least 50% to 75% off the regular rate for XM, 50% off my newspaper, got 3 years of Time for $30, and, best of all, got five years of AARP for $31, not the $16 a year ($80 for five years) they try to charge you.

It pays to negotiate your subscriptions, especially if you are on a fixed income.

0 Kudos