Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Membership renewal discounts?

If you can offer the public membership at $9 per year for 5 years, why can't you offer members a membership renewal for 5 years at $9 per year, even if it is a limited time offer? This only seems fair.

If your rationale is to build your membership numbers, then consider the rationale of MAINTAINING your membership numbers by not angering those of us who paid $12 per year!

By doing making the offer only for non-members, you force those who must pinch their pennies to let their memberships expire and watch for the next opportunity to join at a discounted price.

This strategy has never made sense. It hurts as much as helps. Cash-strapped members can feel ripped off. That's not good for AARP.

Community Concierge

@rd7 Thank you for being a valued part of our family! All of our special membership offers are available to new members wishing to join as well as existing members who wish to renew. If you'd like to take advantage of this special offer of 5 years for $45 which amounts to just $9 per year, you can process your renewal here: [link removed- offer has ended]

I had AARP membership at one time. Then saw an offer to renew as mine expired long again. But on the bottom it says "Once your order is processed, 1 Year will be added to your term currently expiring June 33, 2022." Does that mean you will retroactively apply my payment starting with the date my membership expired? If so that's pretty shady. If I pay for a one year membership today, it should start today. 

I was going to rejoin for the discounts but honestly the more I read these forums the more unenthused I am about rejoining.  For example the whole pricing structure of charging loyal seniors full price on renewals, and then offering "deals" to random folks that are considerably less. Cheap useless gifts. Endless pieces of renewal mail. Shame on me for considering it again to say a few bucks. 

Community Concierge

@EduardoS895743 I apologize for any confusion this has caused, Eduardo. You are right- when you renew your membership, it will start on the date of the renewal. The renewal will not be backdated to your previous membership expiration date. If you choose to renew your membership today, the new term will start today. I'm always here to help if you have any questions along the way!

HI; When I follow the link, it says the $9 a year is for the first year only, and says the 5 year cost is $63, not the $45 you quoted

• Pay just $16 $12 today - 25% off your first year of Automatic Renewal  

This comes across a little like bait and switch .. can you help please 

Community Concierge

@p4792w I was actually able to locate a new offer with the same special pricing! Try this link: https://appsec.aarp.org/mem/join?campaignid=UBWSFBWD1

Periodic Contributor

Very glad to hear it, but perhaps your "Join Now" button should say "Join/Renew"? It seems I'm not the only one who took it to mean first time joiners only. Not even your promo copy is clear about that. Just a suggestion from an old advertising person. I did renew with the discount, by the way.

Community Concierge

@rd7 I appreciate you sticking with us! I have taken note of your feedback and will share it with the appropriate team. I'm always here to help!

Trusted Social Butterfly

My current membership runs until 2025.  If I renew now does that mean it extends to 2030 for $45.00?

And would the additional household member only last till 2026 or would it extend to 2030 as well?

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Retired Community Manager

@EricC28201 Yes, this would add an additional 5 years to your current expiration date so you'd be paid up till 2030.

0 Kudos

Has this offer expired? I have been a member for a VERY long time and have also volunteered with Tax Aide for many years. The cost of membership is becoming prohibitive, especially in these difficult times.  When I follow your link, the cost for 4 years is now $63.00.  I am seriously considering letting my membership lapse.

Community Concierge

@cs29854125 Wow, I sure appreciate your long time membership and participation in our volunteer programs! The standard rate of membership is $63 for the 5 year term, however we occasionally have discounted offers to join or renew. The online promotion of $45 for 5 years has ended, but please give us a call so we can see what offers may be available to you over the phone: 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277). We look forward to speaking with you further! 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP