Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How to OPT OUT of AARP sharing and selling my information?

Regular Contributor

How to OPT OUT of AARP sharing and selling my information?

I have been searching and cannot find where to opt out of AARP sharing/selling my personal information

Contributor

In short, it's not possible.  It would take a class action law suit to remedy this.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Just tried the link I believed to be opting out, and the first choice was to submit a request to find out where my information has been sent. I tried, but the submit button doesn't work. (Firefox, Mac.)

Yeah, I know... try another browser, fill out lots of paperwork. Where do I send the bill for my time?

0 Kudos
Contributor

This has been going on for years. AARP treats members like a revenue stream. Making us have to "opt-out" is sleazy at best. We should have the option to opt-in if we want to have who-knows-who communicate with us or use our personal data in any manner.

Since everything is electronic, how long does it take AARP to share our information once we've signed up? Try milliseconds. By the time you opt-out the damage is done. Get this, everyone they sell / share our personal information with can turn around and sell it to yet someone else!!! 

Regardless what AARP says, they do not audit the third party's systems to make sure they have complied with the privacy tenets and not shared our information. It's not practical...they have to TRUST them to follow the guidelines...right!

You can't trust AARP !

I agree. I am really regretting my membership. If they don't reply soon and opt me out, I will be ending my membership. The spam has increased exponentially and I don't have the time to manage it. I wish I could charge THEM for the negative impact on my quality of life.  The benefits are few, the hassles are many.

Contributor

I am very shocked by the content of this thread. I recently retired and joined AARP in what I thought was a positive step. within a week, I am getting unsolicited marketing calls, which I never used to get. Then I discover this thread, and learn that AARP sells our data to any number of agencies, sees like whoever wants to buy it. How is this representing the interests of members and helping safeguard the elderly? It just seems like a shameful way to make a quick buck by exploiting the very people you claim to be looking to serve and protect in their old age. 

Thank you BrentMa for your many postings on this thread. I only wish I had read two weeks ago!

Contributor

Same here, and after I log off AARP I have to clean my computer. They load too many cooking and who knows what else. Slow my computer down. I probably will not renew my subscription when it lapses I don't benefit one iota being a member. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

The "Your Privacy Choices" link does not work, Says site cannot be reached.

It is obvious they make it difficult to opt out hoping you will tire and give up.  Despicable.

No easy way to send and Email either, it is always "donotreply...."

Community Concierge

@PaulA476247 Hi Paul! Please try this direct link to access Your Privacy Choices: https://help.aarp.org/s/ccpa-request-page

Also, you can find all of our contact options on our help site here: https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp

This seemed to work for me, but I suppose time will tell. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Ya that privacy choices link doesn't work as it says either.  It says "To exercise your Right to Opt Out of Sale or Sharing, please click the โ€œSubmit a Requestโ€ button below."

When you fill out the info and submit it tells you that your COMMUNICATION choices have been updated, not your opt out of sale or sharing.

When you call customer service they say they opted you out of sale or sharing and you get en email telling you that your communication preferences have been updated.

REALLY DECEPTIVE COMPANY.  Cancelling my membership.

0 Kudos
Contributor

That link along with all the links I received with my new cards today, doesn't work.  All reply with "We canโ€™t log you in because of an authentication error."

So what is a valid link to opt out of marketing choices?

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@cprendon The links are valid and working properly. What exactly are you doing on the site when you get that authentication error? It sounds like you're experiencing an issue with logging into our site. Please provide me with more info and I will do my best to assist! 

Regular Contributor

IIts the sale of member information without the original opportunity to opt out.  It's a racket and once its out there its out there.  Wouldn't be surprised if at some point AARP gets slapped with a class action.  

But then again it has....... AARP class action alleges company shares digital users' identities, video preferences with Facebook ...

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

ok it's not just email, it phone calls also.  I can't believe I was stupid enough to sign up again.  I finally blocked all the emails down to a min and now it's started up again .....Sigh

Bronze Conversationalist

From the Official AARP main page go the bottom of page and look for 'Site Map'

Ad Choices ----->  Evidon

( at far right of 'Social Media and Advertising' box - see the  "  >  " this is a clickable menu )

Our Privacy Policy, Your Privacy  ------->  Our Privacy Policy, Your Privacy Rights (aarp.org)

Your Privacy Choices  ------> ccpa-request-page (aarp.org)

Most companies/ organizations will have a 'Site Map' on the bottom of page - good place to find out........?

๐Ÿ˜Ž   Good luck on your crusade............... ๐Ÿ˜

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You obviously haven't read what I stated.  Doesn't matter what is in the privacy policy.  Has more to do with the AARP mission.  What they stand for.  It isn't billed as a for profit agency that sells their members information.  It is supposedly an organization that provides for their members that unfortunately also includes members that are aging with some being ripe for the picking of scammers etc. 

Sometimes when older folks are abused it takes complaining to congress and legislation enacted across the board to protect aging members.  By the time people realize their information is for sale the horse is out of the barn. 

Periodic Contributor

If anyone would like to get in touch with someone that can help, that is merely one of a few ways to get to his actual phone number. Thus, PI in Computers and such ๐Ÿ™‚ Take Care you guys ๐Ÿ™‚ Goodnight

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

lol.. okay.. i'm just letting peoplek know how they saved me! i hope anyone that is in a common situation finds what helps them out ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Get the Feds and attorney

0 Kudos
Contributor

The problem is that after AARP shares (sells) your information, there are dozens of "partners" who have it.  Those companies will resell it.  Within weeks, you're known to hundreds, if not thousands, of vendors, and you'll end up on many master lists.  When you get onto the junk lists (i.e. male enhancement, life insurance, auto warranty), the spam goes up even higher.   At that point, asking AARP (or any of the others) to not communicate and not sell your information isn't going to help much.   You're already in the "system."

Regular Contributor

Yes that is true.  They **bleep** out your information without offering the opportunity for you to opt out in an easy manner.  Pretty much like a for profit that takes advantage of people who do business with it.  I also aware of criminal elements who purchase mail lists of elderly in the hope that they can take advantage of elderly who are no longer mentally aware.  The old folk list is much better pool for them to fish in than just general mailings.  I would hope that this selling of information by AARP doesnt connect them to criminal rings who buy up their lists and information.  But then again they make money sharing our information.

Regular Contributor

I guess to say something like prostitute your information with a common word in the websters dictionary is bleeped out.  Do we need to establish our own community forum for aarp if it's going to be censored for aarps benefit with no profane word used?

Periodic Contributor

I just keep speaking out and attorneys, police and feds and all connections I have will take care of them

Feds are now involved in my AARP case

i hired a PI too

Hope my Posts Help Someone

Seems we ALL have the same feelings and issues.  I am deluged with mail, which I can put in recycle and not bring in house (I store my bin by the outside door), but the emails are by the dozens every day.  AND NO ONE from AARP, the ENTITY AARP will every replyl, is available or even chats are closed, texts don't accept your log in, which you just got in with.   HELP I want OUT.  Consider this a ONE TIME YEAR a DONATION but NEVER AGAIN will I go near AARP.

Sorry that RFD-TV often has people on its talk shows from AARP -- THEY EVEN SPOUT stuff not on here.

Community Concierge

@LillyP141132 Hi Lilly, you can adjust which newsletters you receive here: How To Update My AARP Email Newsletters Subscriptions If you'd like me to unsubscribe you from all AARP emails, just let me know and I can take care of that for you. Are you receiving mailings that you would like me to stop? Just let me know what type of mail you're receiving and I can also process that. I look forward to hearing back from you!

Contributor

Can you assure me that my contact addresses are not 'sold' or 'distributed'?  I am angry at this point, as unsolicited emails have skyrocketed!  I do not mind emails specifically from AARP, but I DO NOT want unsolicited 'partner' email or phone calls.  Can you clarify Janelle?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@WilliamE64772 Hey William! When you provide your email address, you are automatically opted in for AARP email newsletters only. These can be adjusted here: How To Update My AARP Email Newsletters Subscriptions We encourage you to review the Privacy Policy itself to answer any questions you may have about how we handle your personal info. If you're receiving suspicious emails, please be sure to report as spam to protect yourself.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The information has already been sold off by AARP who sells our information out to make money for their organization that we have paid money to be a member in.  It's already out there now.  Quite the scam.  I used to think differently about AARP

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP