Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Hartford Insurance Saying "You're Not an AARP Member" (because I'm not 50)

Contributor

Hartford Insurance Saying "You're Not an AARP Member" (because I'm not 50)

Firstly, hello. This is my first post here.

I was thrilled to learn I can save a good chunk of change as an AARP member by switching my car insurance to The Hartford. So, I followed the link here on the AARP site that sent me to the Hartford to take advantage of this benefit.

FYI, I'm only 48 (this'll become relevant in a minute)

On The Hartford's site I went through the whole quote process and then, right at the end, got a message saying "Sorry, you have to be 50 to be an AARP member."

And that was the end of it. I couldn't go any further and certainly couldn't sign up for car insurance.

What gives? Anyone else (who's not yet 50) run into something like this? Should I call AARP? Call The Hartford? Both?

Community Concierge

Good afternoon, @UXDUDE 

I apologize for the inconvenience! To purchase a policy with the AARP Auto insurance program from Hartford, you must be at least 50 years old.

I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing AARP about your concern.

I just received an invitation and signed up today. I wont be 50 for another week or so. I would definitely reach out to The Hartford, first. I think its strange that they would determine if you are eligible for AARP Membership.... Especially since you can provide a membership #. If you dont get anywhere with them, I would reach out to AARP and ask them to provide direction. Good luck! 

Contributor

It's definitely odd. At no point during the quote process did they ask for my AARP number, just my birthday. And, based on that, they decided there's no way I could be an AARP member.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP