Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

A lot of my AARP Rewards points suddenly expired recently...seemingly without notice...

A lot of my AARP Rewards points suddenly expired recently...seemingly without notice...

Hello,

I've been gradually accruing AARP Rewards points, which I suspected would be sufficient activity (as happens with other Websites) to keep those points in my account.

Unfortunately, and seemingly without notice (as I saw none that was sent to me), nearly 3,800 of those points "expired" recently and were removed from my account.

Why is points accrual not sufficient to indicate activity in my account, thus preserving the points that are there?

Why was, apparently, no notice sent to me to warn me that so many points were about to expire?

Can those points please be put back?

Please let me know, and thanks again,

Bram Weiser

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@bramweiser Hi Bram! AARP Rewards points expire one year after you earn them on the first day of the following month. For example, any unredeemed points earned in January 2022 expire on February 1, 2023. Check your monthly Reward statement email for upcoming points expiration reminders. Unfortunately, we are unable to issue refunds for expired points. I invite you to view your current AARP Rewards points that recently expired or will be expiring soon here: When will my Rewards points expire?

0 Kudos

I had no idea that I had accrued so many points and also very disappointed they were removed. It seems that if you have such a poliicy there should be a notification system of pending expiration. The whole point is to encourage more participation not make people angry- right?

I too have all of my reward points missing. I looked at the drop down windows expired, purchases, redeemed and they all show no activity.  What’s happened to all of my rewards?

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi there, I looked up your Rewards Profile and if you scroll all the way down on that page, it will show you the date your points expired, 4-1-23 and how many. If I can help with anything else, let me know!

0 Kudos

Thank you, @AARPJodeeR .

Yes, thanks...my earlier concern was that the expiration happened seemingly without notice (such as an email to me as a "warning") was what originally sparked my wanting to create this thread.  (FYI, I since discovered that my premise was wrong, that AARP DID inform me beforehand but I didn't notice it.  Sorry about that.)

Nonetheless, as I wrote here earlier, it seems "Member Unfriendly" for AARP's Rewards Program to not(!) consider accrual of points as an "activity" that'd reset the clock that was ticking toward expiration.  As I also wrote, a reset like that is part of other programs (such as some frequent flier ones), so it wouldn't be THAT novel to see it here in AARP as well.

I strongly(!) encourage AARP and the Rewards Program organizers and staff to implement a policy change such as that one soon.

Thanks again,

Bram Weiser

I had the same experience and just discovered expired points - my incentive points for signing up and agreeing to auto renewing - all expired only 4-8 weeks ago. And customer rep said they cannot reinstate points. I'm retired and thought my days of having to watch project timelines were over (!) but seriously 13 months is too short of a time . And I have had the app and get the email bulletins so why not have reminders/notices about points expiring. All this has done is give a bad taste about AARP service. And the Travel person I also called just directed me to the website to explore myself - no 'service' at all.  Come On AARP -- imrpove the friendly service for us seniors ! I just reviewed your 990 and surely it would be a small drop in the bucket to extend the points program to make happier members who would keep scrolling and exploring and shopping using the gift cards and other  sponsor/advertiser services. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hi. If you haven't visited in awhile, but had accrued points, Janelle explains how points can expire here:

AARPJanelleM 
Community Concierge
‎04-10-2023 03:01 PM

AARP Rewards points expire one year after you earn them on the first day of the following month. For example, any unredeemed points earned in January 2022 expire on February 1, 2023. Check your monthly Reward statement email for upcoming points expiration reminders.

Unfortunately, we are unable to issue refunds for expired points. I invite you to view your current AARP Rewards points that recently expired or will be expiring soon here: When will my Rewards points expire?

🙂

Thanks, @AARPJanelleM .

As I wrote earlier, the idea that accruing points isn't, itself, an "activity" that would reset that clock is a Member-Unfriendly feature of this program that should be changed promptly, please.  Other programs, like those for frequent fliers, say, do this, so why can't AARP?

Thanks again,

Bram Weiser

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

These are the  AARP Program Rules ---click here --->  Program Details and Rules, The AARP Rewards Playbook

---  Points Expiration: Unused points expire 12 months after they are earned, in monthly batches on a rolling basis. Be sure to use them before time is up. To see your points expiration status, go to your Transaction history and filter for expired points, or click here.

😐  Personal Note: I do receive various Official AARP Web News Letters, Notifications from AARP and from the Forums' postings, and at the beginning of each month I get an Official 'AARP Rewards Account Summary' of the past month - which shows points earned, spent and of any 'expiring points or expired points' etc.

Thanks, @KellytheBelly and @OneDayMatisyahu .

It's just unfortunate, therefore, that AARP chooses to not count accruing more points as an "activity" that'd reset that 12-month clock (not unlike how, say, some frequent-flier programs work).  Instead, this policy is unfriendly to its Members and should be changed.

Thanks again,

Bram Weiser

Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPJanelleM  Could you please help Bram? Thank you! Happy Easter! 🐥

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP