Reply
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
18675
Views

Re: Will Medicare Pay for Shingrix?

18,675 Views
Message 51 of 55

@BarbaraShearer52wrote:

I think it should be covered along with other important immunizations in Medicare Part B.  We have Humana Part d and the cost is going to be $320 to receive both shots.  I don’t know how many people will be able to afford this.  In the end, the cost of immunizing people against shingles will be less for Medicare if it is covered. 


We may all want it to be covered by Part B but in order to keep down cost associated with Part B, it isn't.  Of course, those eligible low income seniors may get extra help for Medicare Part D.

 

Part B Medicare is paid for by premium payments from beneficiaries which represents about 25% of the programs cost, the other 75% of the cost of Part B Medicare is paid for out of taxpayers money from the General Fund.

 

The ONLY preventative care vaccines or immunizations covered by Medicare Part B are:

1.  Influenza: once per flu season 
2.  Pneumococcal: once per lifetime with high-risk booster after 5 years - covers both types of vaccines to cover as many varieties as possible
3.  Hepatitis B: for persons at intermediate- to high-risk

4.  TDaP  

 

These are the ones which have coverage when given in a doctor's office.

The others are covered by Medicare Part D and for coverage are given by a state licensed pharmacist.

 

Yes, this is done this way in order to save the government money one way or another - and Part B premium cost for beneficiaries.

 

In the overall coverage length, this is not an expensive vaccine especially since it doesn't have to be given every year.

 

Extra Help with Part D Medicare is available for those  beneficiaries with low income.

 

 


* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
18675
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
0
Kudos
17990
Views

Re: Will Medicare Pay for Shingrix?

17,990 Views
Message 52 of 55

I think it should be covered along with other important immunizations in Medicare Part B.  We have Humana Part d and the cost is going to be $320 to receive both shots.  I don’t know how many people will be able to afford this.  In the end, the cost of immunizing people against shingles will be less for Medicare if it is covered. 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
17990
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
19247
Views

Re: Will Medicare Pay for Shingrix?

19,247 Views
Message 53 of 55

@jimarleywrote:

Will Medicare pay for the new Shingles Shot---Shingrix?


As with the old one - it should be covered by your Medicare Part D plan, NOT Part B.

GoodRx gives an estimate of the cost depending upon which stage a person might be in in their Part D coverage and which plan/insurer they have. 

GoodRx - Shingrix Medicare Coverage

 

 


* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
19247
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
0
Kudos
17847
Views

Re: Will Medicare Pay for Shingrix?

17,847 Views
Message 54 of 55
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
17847
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
0
Kudos
17493
Views
54
Replies

Will Medicare Pay for Shingrix?

17,493 Views
Message 55 of 55

Will Medicare pay for the new Shingles Shot---Shingrix?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
17493
Views
54
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors