Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Why doesn't Medicare pay for Walk In Bathtubs and what tub is the best?

Message 11 of 36
In Response to Re: Why doesn't Medicare pay for Walk In Bathtubs and what tub is the best?:
In Response to Re: Why doesn't Medicare pay for Walk In Bathtubs and what tub is the best? : I just had a Safe Step salesperson give me an estimate today, 11/01/12. Although he did mention that the only two tub choices available could be tax deductable he did not tell me about any rebates available. The cost of the tub is around the cost of a new car.  A 30% discount brings it down a few thousand dollars. I wish they would offer tubs without all the bells and whistles, such as aromatherapy and color lights in the tub.  I'd love a more simple walk in tub.  Is there on available?
Posted by zsasu

Well, I am forever disturbed by how much these things cost.  You know a walk in tub certainly does not cost the same as a new car, even installed. These companys/salespeople are making huge profits. If you were my neighbor we could talk about buying a tub, at the big box store,  and I would install it for free. I'm no contractor but these projects are not rocket science either. Plus, a building inspector would have to check it out to make sure everything was up to code. I am so tired of being ripped off. Usually thes things are installed in a day or two. How do you feel paying thousands to someone for a couple of days work. Everyone has to get their cut! !@#$%^&*()+ 
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 36
In Response to Re: Why doesn't Medicare pay for Walk In Bathtubs and what tub is the best?:
In Response to Re: Why doesn't Medicare pay for Walk In Bathtubs and what tub is the best? : Yah Gail needs to read the  ADA guidelines on reasonable accomodation.  I do not know if they are living in their own home or renting or in housing but the American's with Disabilities Act came along to ensure that seniors have the thinks they need to make their life worthwhile.  And yes some of that is paid for by Medicare while some is not.  But they have worked and put into Medicare for years they should be able to have some quality of life after they retire.
Posted by chrissyinct

You should understand the law and the guidelines.

A Guide to Disability Rights Laws from ADA.gov

"The Fair Housing Act requires owners of housing facilities to make reasonable exceptions in their policies and operations to afford people with disabilities equal housing opportunities. For example, a landlord with a "no pets" policy may be required to grant an exception to this rule and allow an individual who is blind to keep a guide dog in the residence. The Fair Housing Act also requires landlords to allow tenants with disabilities to make reasonable access-related modifications to their private living space, as well as to common use spaces. (The landlord is not required to pay for the changes.) The Act further requires that new multifamily housing with four or more units be designed and built to allow access for persons with disabilities. This includes accessible common use areas, doors that are wide enough for wheelchairs, kitchens and bathrooms that allow a person using a wheelchair to maneuver, and other adaptable features within the units."

Even under the Home & Community Living initiative by the ACA where Medicaid  eligible elderly and disabled are helped to stay out of a nursing home, there is no provision for changing a living environment for a walkin bathtub.
Health Law Spurs State Shift in Long-Term Care

Again, we all need to understand what health care is and what it is not
* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 36
  Yeah Gail, we all know how you feel. You told us in an earlier post that, If a senior or disabled person is struggling, its their own fault, for not working hard enough and smart enough . Sorry, but  we all dont have a lucrative business like your husband's to live off of and maybe we're not as smart as you and your husband, but that doesn't mean we didn't work just as hard.  Maybe a little compassion for those struggling, who have been hit by hard times, to no fault of their own, would be nice. Anyone's life could change in a heart beat. Response to Re: Why doesn't Medicare pay for Walk In Bathtubs and what tub is the best? :
Posted by mandm84

Yah Gail needs to read the  ADA guidelines on reasonable accomodation.  I do not know if they are living in their own home or renting or in housing but the American's with Disabilities Act came along to ensure that seniors have the thinks they need to make their life worthwhile.  And yes some of that is paid for by Medicare while some is not.  But they have worked and put into Medicare for years they should be able to have some quality of life after they retire.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 36
@tbanks204

What a selfish and greedy person you are.  I'm not sure why you think that you would have to pay for any of their needs.  They have worked and paid for their benefits their entire lives.  And this sounds very much like a medical necessity, he wasn’t asking for about a spa.  I suffered heart failure a few years ago and am now too weak to get in and out out of the tub and as a result I took a fall and now suffer with chronic pain.because i’m too sick to have the surgery I need to repair the damage caused by the fall.

Now medicare has to pay for someone to assist me with my daily needs.  It seems to me it would have been a lot cheaper to cover the walk in tub and a lot less painful for me.
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 36
Below is a link that compares walk in tubs. I would love to have one when move to a smaller place but the cost will probably stop me from pursuing that option.
 Chris

http://www.walkinbathtubcomparisons.com/
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 36
In Response to Re: Why doesn't Medicare pay for Walk In Bathtubs and what tub is the best? : I just had a Safe Step salesperson give me an estimate today, 11/01/12. Although he did mention that the only two tub choices available could be tax deductable he did not tell me about any rebates available. The cost of the tub is around the cost of a new car.  A 30% discount brings it down a few thousand dollars. I wish they would offer tubs without all the bells and whistles, such as aromatherapy and color lights in the tub.  I'd love a more simple walk in tub.  Is there on available?
Posted by zsasu

There are other companies out there that offer lower cost walk in bathtubs that dont require you to take all the bells and whistles such as Bathe Safe Walk In Bathtubs.  They offer much more affordable tubs with no gimmicks.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 36
While that may be true, Gail, you could have said it in a much nicer way instead of being rude and sarcastic.  We are all looking for answers to many problems that we are now being faced with - whether for ourselves or our parents.  The answer is to share as much information  and resources as possible.

There are alternatives to your wife's problems which would be tax deductible. Her problem is linked to health only if she falls and sustains injury - but changes to your home more in-tune to her disability could prevent any injury.  Would you want Medicare to pay for lowering counters for those disabled in a wheel chair? What about a ramp to help them get inside or out? Door widening? What about special equipt cars allowing them to drive? My mother needed a walker several years back, I got her one with a seat and wheels that she pushes.  It has become part of her person and she cannot go anywhere without it.  Medicare did not pay for it. Medicare does not pay for hearing aides either and my mother hears nothing without them in both ears - with added volume of a pocket talker - Medicare does not pay for glasses to see either. See if you can find a contractor to look over the shower  - then put a bath chair inside the stall for her to sit upon while bathing. I don't think anybody has ever died from not having a shower or bath inside an enclosure.  Heck, my grandmother never had a bathroom and she made 90 with no falls. I am sorry to be so hard hearted but we need to all start realizing what is health care and what is not !
Posted by GailL1

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 36
MEDICARE SHOULD HELP PAY FOR ITEMS NEEDED FOR HEALTH, UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, AND WITH LIMITATIONS, SUCH AS: 1. A DOCTOR CERTIFIES THE NEED, AND PROVIDES A PRESCRIPTION. 2. A COPAY IS REQUIRED, AND A PERCENTAGE OF THE TOTAL IS PROVIDED DEPENDING ON INCOME. 3. A LIMIT ON SUCH PAYMENTS WITHIN A TIME LIMIT IS SET. PLUS ANY OTHER NECESSARY AND REASONABLE TERMS IS SPECIFIED. IF GOVERNMENT CAN SUBSIDIZE BANKS, CORPORATIONS, ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, ETC. IT CAN CERTAINLY FIND THE MEANS TO HELP IT'S AGING CITIZENS NEEDS.  IT HAS ALREADY CUT MANY ITEMS IT PROVIDED IN THE PAST 60 YEARS, AND HAD ITS COFFERS RAIDED MANY TIMES. A CIVILIZATION THAT DOES NOT TAKE CARE OF ITS ELDERLY, YET HAS FUNDS TO MEDDLE WITH ARMED FORCE ALL OVER THE WORLD, AND WHOSE LEADERS GENEROUSLY PROVIDE CARE FOR THEMSELVES, DOES NOT DESERVE TO EXIST.  LET US DESERVE TO BE PROUD AMERICANS.
Posted by mvcombs0surfbest

Here is what Medicare pays under Durable Medical Equipment (DME)  So I guess the main question in dispute with some of the views here and Medicare is whether getting old, with all of what that covers is a sickness or an injury and whether some of these daily living aids would be considered a "medical reason".

There are numerous ways for a person to have or get a bath.  But I guess if you could find a DME supplier who is enrolled with Medicare and they carry the walk-in bathtubs, get an Rx from the doctor and you might have a shot - course, I would guess that Medicare would investigate this as questionable.

Medicare.com says this about the Wal-In tubs:  "Medicare does not cover walk-in tubs because they are not considered Durable Medical Equipment (DME). Walk-in tubs are a "convenience" rather than a "medical necessity." Plus, anyone can use these special tubs, so they are not just for Medicare beneficiaries or adults with special needs." (read the whole page at the link)

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers durable medical equipment (DME) that your doctor prescribes for use in your home. Only your doctor can prescribe medical equipment for you. DME meets these criteria:

• Durable (long-lasting)
  • Used for a medical reason
  • Not usually useful to someone who isn't sick or injured
  • Used in your home

In certain circumstances, the DME that Medicare covers includes, but isn't limited to:

(Read the whole page at the link)

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 36
MEDICARE SHOULD HELP PAY FOR ITEMS NEEDED FOR HEALTH, UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, AND WITH LIMITATIONS, SUCH AS:
1. A DOCTOR CERTIFIES THE NEED, AND PROVIDES A PRESCRIPTION.
2. A COPAY IS REQUIRED, AND A PERCENTAGE OF THE TOTAL IS PROVIDED DEPENDING ON INCOME.
3. A LIMIT ON SUCH PAYMENTS WITHIN A TIME LIMIT IS SET.
PLUS ANY OTHER NECESSARY AND REASONABLE TERMS IS SPECIFIED.

IF GOVERNMENT CAN SUBSIDIZE BANKS, CORPORATIONS, ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, ETC. IT CAN CERTAINLY FIND THE MEANS TO HELP IT'S AGING CITIZENS NEEDS.  IT HAS ALREADY CUT MANY ITEMS IT PROVIDED IN THE PAST 60 YEARS, AND HAD ITS COFFERS RAIDED MANY TIMES.

A CIVILIZATION THAT DOES NOT TAKE CARE OF ITS ELDERLY, YET HAS FUNDS TO MEDDLE WITH ARMED FORCE ALL OVER THE WORLD, AND WHOSE LEADERS GENEROUSLY PROVIDE CARE FOR THEMSELVES, DOES NOT DESERVE TO EXIST.  LET US DESERVE TO BE PROUD AMERICANS.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 36
MEDICARE SHOULD HELP PAY FOR ITEMS NEEDED FOR HEALTH, UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, AND WITH LIMITATIONS, SUCH AS:
1. A DOCTOR CERTIFIES THE NEED, AND PROVIDES A PRESCRIPTION.
2. A COPAY IS REQUIRED, AND A PERCENTAGE OF THE TOTAL IS PROVIDED DEPENDING ON INCOME.
3. A LIMIT ON SUCH PAYMENTS WITHIN A TIME LIMIT IS SET.
PLUS ANY OTHER NECESSARY AND REASONABLE TERMS IS SPECIFIED.

IF GOVERNMENT CAN SUBSIDIZE BANKS, CORPORATIONS, ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, ETC. IT CAN CERTAINLY FIND THE MEANS TO HELP IT'S AGING CITIZENS NEEDS.  IT HAS ALREADY CUT MANY ITEMS IT PROVIDED IN THE PAST 60 YEARS, AND HAD ITS COFFERS RAIDED MANY TIMES.

A CIVILIZATION THAT DOES NOT TAKE CARE OF ITS ELDERLY, YET HAS FUNDS TO MEDDLE WITH ARMED FORCE ALL OVER THE WORLD, AND WHOSE LEADERS GENEROUSLY PROVIDE CARE FOR THEMSELVES, DOES NOT DESERVE TO EXIST.  LET US DESERVE TO BE PROUD AMERICANS.
Kudos
Views