Have questions about your Medicare options? AARP's Medicare Resource Center can help.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why do I have to pay 20% of A & B as I do not have and cannot afford a supplemental insuranc

Message 1 of 2

@valwop2wrote:

Why do I have to pay 20% of A & B as I do not have and cannot afford a supplemental insurance

Under Medicare, a beneficiary has to pay the yearly deductible for Part A and Part B and Medicare ONLY pays 80% of the Medicare price for a specific service under Part A and Part B or a stated price for other services - the beneficiary pays the rest.

If you are very low income, there are some HELP programs but you must qualify for them.

Medicare.gov - Your Medicare Cost

The reason people who elect traditional Medicare pick up a Supplemental policy (Medigap) is that it helps them pay their part of the cost.  Since Medicare has NO total out of pocket limit, sometimes the beneficiaries part can get quite costly depending upon the nature and frequency of the services.

If you are past your initial enrollment period for Medicare you might not be able to qualify for a Supplemental policy (Medigap) anyway, at least not at the introductory price where the insurance company is prohibited from considering your health and possible underwriting; possibly a higher premium and/or a period of time when they may not cover certain health related care coverage.

You can read all about Medigap coverage on the Medicare site.

Medicare.gov - What's Medicare Supplemental Insurance (Medigap)?

There are several different plans.

I hope I have answered your question.  I assume you also have a Medicare Part D plan for your Prescription Drug Coverage.

The Medicare.gov website is very informative and so is the booklet that you should receive yearly called "Medicare and You".

MY SIGNATURE: "It’s Always something" - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Why do I have to pay 20% of A & B as I do not have and cannot afford a supplemental insurance

Message 2 of 2

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies