AARP Urges Congress to Prevent $25 Billion in Medicare Cuts. Read the Letter

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Why did you choose a Medicare Advantage Plan over Original Medicare?

Message 1 of 31

byrondennis wrote:

Do you mean you have public Part C Medicare Advantage because you can't get a private Medigap supplement?

That is what you are literally saying in your "very simple answer to this question." And that would make sense because there is no pre-condition denial possible on public Part C.

But maybe that is not what you mean.

• Your other comments said (or strongly implied) that you had no type of extra Medicare insurance other than Original Medicare Parts A and B and that that was why you had high medical expensies (some of which you have been able to deduct on Schedule A to Form 1040).
  • If you do have Part C, it makes the multiple messages you have posted about deducting medical deductions even stranger, especially if it has an integrated drug plan? (Don't try to explain here; you should not put so much personal information on a public commenting board. Go to the local senior center and see if the Medicare and tax volunteers can help.)

Look ByronDennis,  I don't prepare my taxes, MY tax accountant is the one that prepares our taxes, I simply provide the information that I think he needs.  and he does my taxes for the past 20 years. I am sure that he follows the law and  we have never been audited. Therefore, I feel quite secure in what he does.
I really and honestly don't understand what you are trying to say. so perhaps there is some  mis  communication in what I am saying and what you are saying. I have always been very honest in my taxes. and please you are now implying that my tax accountant is doing something illegal. 
Please, do not assume what obviously you don't know.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 31

rker321 wrote:

A  very simple answer to this question. Because I do not qualify for a Supplemental because I have macular degeneration and that is considered a pre condition.

Do you mean you have public Part C Medicare Advantage because you can't get a private Medigap supplement?

That is what you are literally saying in your "very simple answer to this question." And that would make sense because there is no pre-condition denial possible on public Part C.

But maybe that is not what you mean.

• Your other comments said (or strongly implied) that you had no type of extra Medicare insurance other than Original Medicare Parts A and B and that that was why you had high medical expensies (some of which you have been able to deduct on Schedule A to Form 1040).
  • If you do have Part C, it makes the multiple messages you have posted about deducting medical deductions even stranger, especially if it has an integrated drug plan? (Don't try to explain here; you should not put so much personal information on a public commenting board. Go to the local senior center and see if the Medicare and tax volunteers can help.)
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 31

A  very simple answer to this question. Because I do not qualify for a Supplemental because I have macular degeneration and that is considered a pre condition.

We should all have the knowledge as to what makes you or anyone  qualify for a supplemental. Sometimes I feel that is a guarded secret. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 31

GailL1 wrote:

Yes, byrondennis, you do live in a state with more liberal rules and evidently coverage too.

How is the more liberal SPAP paid for ?  And does your state have a balanced budget amendment?  Does the income level for SPAP fluctuate up and down as state revenues rise and fall in difficult economic periods?

Many people seem satisfied with certain insurers HMO plans - in certain areas of Florida, I think there would be senior riots if something happened to their HMO.

A friend of mine in South Florida told me that her HMO was everything from a social club, match making service, stay fit with various excercise programs to their regular healthcare.  She has even been to dances sponsored by the HMO provider.  Guess they are taking holistic medicine to heart -'treating mind, body and soul.

1. The money that funds the Massachusetts SPAP that is above and beyond Social Security Extra Help/LIS is a line item in the state budget. The income level has not been lowered in the 10 years I have been involved but it is just a law (see point 2) and could be lowered. it has gone up every year that the SS Extra Help numbers have changed and in proportion to those changes. We had a SPAP long before Part D and SS Extra Help and it worked more like SS Extra Help does now (in other words, when the Feds started funding low income people's drugs, the state took that money it had been spending and moved up the income scale). Our program is not just related to people on Medicare.

2. Massachusetts does not have a "balanced budget amendment." A mandate that Massachusetts have a budget is part of the Massachusetts constitution written by John Adams in 1780, about 7 years before the American constitution was written and very much a precursor (although ours had a "bill of rights" from the beginning and it was 1791 before the U.S. Constituion had one). Admas would be horrified by any thought that the mandated budget would not be balanced but just to be sure the Legislature has made it a law. If revenues are running low, the Governor can cut spending on his or her (there has only ever been one 'her' thanks to Mitt Romney) own authority. And a supplemental budget cannot be passed halfway through a year without the Governor showing where the money is going to come from

3. Our HMO and our doctors' practice are descendants of the true HMOs of the 1980s (or Kaiser in the 1940s). No "insurance company" involved initially but when the doctor's took a bath on the concept in the 1990s they spit the administrative part off into a separate non-profit charity (their practice is also a non-profit charity) and started accepting other insurances (and the insurance part starting "insuring" people that did not go to their practice). The two are now totally divorced but both non profit charities. Neither holds dances.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 31

Yes, byrondennis, you do live in a state with more liberal rules and evidently coverage too.

How is the more liberal SPAP paid for ?  And does your state have a balanced budget amendment?  Does the income level for SPAP fluctuate up and down as state revenues rise and fall in difficult economic periods?

Many people seem satisfied with certain insurers HMO plans - in certain areas of Florida, I think there would be senior riots if something happened to their HMO.

A friend of mine in South Florida told me that her HMO was everything from a social club, match making service, stay fit with various excercise programs to their regular healthcare.  She has even been to dances sponsored by the HMO provider.  Guess they are taking holistic medicine to heart -'treating mind, body and soul.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 31

GailL1 wrote:

And do you know the difference?

Have you always had a Medicare Advantage plan or did you switch to a Medicare Advantage plan from Original Medicare, if so, generally why?

I chose Original Medicare because my Other Health Insurance (OHI) only works with the original program.

1. My favored provider accepts a public Part C health plan sponsored by a non-profit charity run by the grandson of Franklin and Eleanoar Roosevel (although if my favored provider accepted a public Part C plan sponsored by a for-profit organization run by Attilla the Hun I would probably still have chosen it if items 2-5 were true)

2. My favored provider was (and is) part of a large network of top quality physicians (one of which was one of my sons) with multiple offices all over the county in which I live

3. If my favored provider's network cannot handle my medical needs, under the terms of the Part C policy I have (it's a fairly flexible HMO) I get referred to equally top quality physicians in a nearby major city that is condidered to be the best place in the world in which to get medical care

4. I (and my wife -- but see Note 1) have saved approximately $45,000 so far over the years we have been on Medicare as opposed to having a private Medigap plan and Part D instead (see Note 2)

5. Where we live (this is not true in every state), my wife or I or both of us could easily drop public Part C and return to traditional fee for service Medicare with no underwriting or switch among Part C plans almost at any time (see Note 3) no questions asked.

(Just as aside to the commenter who doesn't read or write English very well: There is no advice in this comment. I am simply answering the question in Chrono Comment 1.)

Note 1: Medicare is individual insurance. It is only coincidence that that same Part C policy works equally well for both of us. We check every year to make sure that is still true.

Note 2: The amount we save is based partially on the fact that all insurance -- including private Medigap insurance -- is very expensive where we live; probably not coincidentially, while we have easy access to the best medical care in the world, we also have the most expensive medical care in the world

Note 3: Our state has a very liberal (accepts middle class seniors with no asset test) State  Pharmcacy Assistance Program (SPAP), which in turn gives the person on the SPAP the right to switch plans one time a year in addition to during the annual election period. Not every state allows seniors in its SPAPs nor has liberal admittance rules but every person that gets in an SPAP anywhere in the country has the right to switch plans one time a year in addition to during the annual election period.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 31

@ReTiReD51 - Good comments, I agree. Folks should do their homework and research as much as possible on their own; make a list of questions, and then seek guidance. Use as many resources as are available or needed, get all of the questions answered, and make an informed decision. 

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 31

These forums are great in helping others understand some basic information and terminology about Medicare. And I believe that’s why AARP wants you to share. People should know some basic knowledge before they talk with a “local expert”. If they don’t you spend an hour out of a two hour appointment having to explain Medicare basics to someone.

I think everyone knows to take any information about Medicare on any forum with as many grains of salt as you feel confident about. Shame on anyone who doesn’t take the time to verify facts with a second opinion or visiting Medicare.gov.

@GailL1 is no second-banana to any poster on here when it comes to Medicare knowledge. She and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum and the sun will go dark before we ever agree on politics. But when it comes to Medicare rules she gives accurate information on the subject.

I know volunteer SHIIP state counselors who have a hard time keeping up with her when they verify her information. She’s experienced with Medicare and knowledgeable no question in my mind.  

@john258you are correct to scrutinize anything someone says about Medicare’s rules. But just don’t cry wolf point out the discrepancies. I know I will.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 31

GailL1 wrote:

john258

Could you point out any "advice" given in this thread - other that you advising people to seek out local experts.  

Is giving links to Medicare.gov, giving advice?

I am not going back over all your posts to pick out what was advice giving as you would only say it was not. There is no way you will ever stop advice giving as  you were one of the main reason's I got to posting in here some years ago. You will not even start to tell people to see a local expert after you give them advice or information as you call it. As you tell me you are the expert and By that I assume you mean they need no one else.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 31

john258

Could you point out any "advice" given in this thread - other that you advising people to seek out local experts.  

Is giving links to Medicare.gov, giving advice?