Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Why choose Medigap plan G instead of Medicare Advantage?

Periodic Contributor

Why choose Medigap plan G instead of Medicare Advantage?

I’m trying to justify signing my husband and I up for the much more expensive Medigap plan. We both turn 65 in a few months. We’re both in good health, and not on any meds, no diagnosis, etc. If we take Medigap instead of Medicare Advantage if will cost us over $3,000 more/year. This won’t even cover dental or vision checkups - so I assume we’ll pay several hundred more/year for that. I can see that paying now for Medigap will limit our ability to travel. (UHC Medicare Advantage PPO plans have coverage for this!)

Is Medigap a plan for the wealthy? Our annual income is going to be about $60,000/year between Social Security and IRA withdrawals.

Kudos
Views
Replies
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I believe you already asked this question on 4/12/23 and several people responded with good answers:

Medigap Plan G vs Medicare Advantage 

It sounds like you are struggling with the cost.  You have to decide which plan will give you the most peace of mind for a price you are willing to pay. 

Medical insurance is expensive, no matter what your income level. Those who have higher incomes (the so-called "wealthy") have to pay a monthly increase in Plan B and Plan D premiums called IRMAA.  They have to pay that extra cost whether they get Medicare Advantage or Medigap.  Based on your stated income, you probably won't have to pay the extra IRMAA.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP