Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What happens if your Medigap Insurance policy (G) goes bankrupt or insolvent?

Periodic Contributor

What happens if your Medigap Insurance policy (G) goes bankrupt or insolvent?

Can you then pick another plan G or are you subject to existing conditions, etc.? We have pretty much decided on Original medicare with plan G and a drug plan D. (Even though we have no health problems at present). 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@VivianR375175 wrote:

Can you then pick another plan G or are you subject to existing conditions, etc.? We have pretty much decided on Original medicare with plan G and a drug plan D. (Even though we have no health problems at present). 

Are you asking because this has happened to you or are you just doing some potential planning?

You do not buy Medicare coverage of any sort as "WE" - They are ALL individual-type plans and this makes it better so that each can plan for their own health coverage based on their specifics.

This answers your heading question but as far as Medigap coverage goes - various state laws may also give some other protections.

From Medicare.gov -

Your Medigap insurance company goes bankrupt and you lose your coverage, or your Medigap policy cove...

You have the right to buy

Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L that’s sold by any insurance company in your state

You can/must apply for a Medigap policy

no later than 63 calendar days from the date your coverage ends.

This is covered under Medicare.gov - Guaranteed Issue Rights or Medigap Protections -

Guaranteed issue rights (also called "Medigap protections") are rights you have in certain situations when insurance companies must offer you certain Medigap policies. In these situations, an insurance company:

• Must sell you a Medigap policy
  • Must cover all your pre-existing health conditions
  • Can't charge you more for a Medigap policy because of past or present health problems

Read more at the links above -

I do not think they have added to the list of these Medigap plans offered in your situation (see above) but I guess you can always ask them but there is a time limit (see above).

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Periodic Contributor

I read this article but it does list plan F (which I can't even get in 2020) and DOESN'T list G which I will be taking.  The "WE" is my husband and I who will both be taking the same plans at the same time this summer. We do plan to take the same plan as we are both healthy but know as we age we will need good coverage. Maybe the above article is just outdated and the same will apply for plan G if it goes bankrupt or insolvent with a particular company? We have a friend who has had MULTIPLE surgeries, drugs, a stroke, etc. even rehab in a nursing home twice for extended periods and never paid a dime. She is advocating her insurance company and we are very tempted to go with them but it is a lesser-known company (to us, anyway). We worry about it's longivity?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@VivianR375175 

Thinking about longivity, also consider the premium growth from year to year. 

Remember based on the rating method of the Medigap plan insurer, the healthcare inflation rate and pool of beneficiaries,  your premiums will escalate through the years. 

Medicare.gov - Cost of Medigap policies

Your state law as to how easy, how hard or even if you can change Medigap plans is also something to consider if premiums begin to escalate too much.

The Plan F - High Deductible -  is still available.  Compare the coverage and the current premium of this plan to the others because in the long run (over your lifetime) if you can afford the (at the most) $ 2300 per year deductible and most likely not all at the same time - it is a good value. 

Plan G is also fine - don't worry about the insurer leaving the market for some reason, you would have guaranteed issue right in that situation and any of the others covered under the Medigap Guaranteed Issue Rights.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP