Have questions about your Medicare options? AARP's Medicare Resource Center can help.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: United Healthcare 2018 Rates

Message 1 of 8

UHC is community rated.

As a new issue you are given a 30% discount on your premium. This is called a teaser rate, all insurance companies do the same for new 65 year-olds signing up. Then every year for the next 10 years your premium rises 3% each year until you are at the full premium. Also your premium will rise each year a percentage because health care cost increase. So you’ll get a 3% plus what they determine healthcare costs in the community have increased 3%? 5%? 7%?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

It's important to know how your Medicare Supplement carrier rates their policy premiums when you enroll in a plan. There's three different ways a carrier can rate the premium:

1. Community Rated
  2. Issue Age Rated
  3. Attained Age Rated

From what I understand, UHC has Issue Age rated Medigap plans. So in this case your premiums probably went up due to medical inflation. But I agree with Gail1, it's best to contact your carrier to see why it's gone up.

Melissa Kay
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

I agree with another commentor. You might ber (correctly or not) subject to IRMA. Be sure to check on that. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

@jg53545303 wrote:

I just got 2018 premium notices from UnitedHealthcare for my 2018 AARP Medicare supplemental coverage and Part D supplemental coverage. My premiums have increased 35 percent and 45 percent respectively -- even though I made no claims at all this year.

Thanks for nothing, AARP.

Medicare Supplemental coverage (Medigap) doesn't work that way -

Medical inflation affects your Medigap premium along with however you policy is rated.

Medicare.gov - Cost of Medigap Policies

Your Part D monthly premiums vary by the plan - and if you are a higher income senior, the IRMMA applies (Income Related Medicare Monthly Adjustment). 

AARP Medical Resource Center 08/03/2017 - Medicare Drug Premiums Expected to Dip in 2018

But like I said, premiums vary by the plan - meds covered, how they are covered, deductible or not -

Your best option is to contact the insurer and ask why - because my above comments are generalities and so are the links provided to tell you just a bit about them and how prices could vary.

MY SIGNATURE: "It’s Always something" - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

I just got 2018 premium notices from UnitedHealthcare for my 2018 AARP Medicare supplemental coverage and Part D supplemental coverage. My premiums have increased 35 percent and 45 percent respectively -- even though I made no claims at all this year.

Thanks for nothing, AARP.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

I ha ve been conta cting UHC frequently to ask about 2018 rates. I am always told to swait. I have not heard anything about the 75% incfrease you mention. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

Medigap plans (Medicare supplemental plans) are affected by medical inflation but only as far as Medicare A&B are affected.   Righr now that is mostly in pharmaceuticals and that encompasses Part D - prescription drug coverage for the most part.

Medigap policies are priced in a variety of ways -

Medicare.gov - Cost of Medigap policies

You should check to see which way your policy is priced.  Unless you changed policies, it should be the same way as when you signed up.

Remember Medigap or Medicare Supplemental policy is not complete health insurance, it is ONLY supplemental to Medicare. 

MY SIGNATURE: "It’s Always something" - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

United Healthcare 2018 Rates

Message 8 of 8

I read somewhere recently that United healthcare had gone to the State of Florida recently and requested an increase in rates for 2018 of 75%. Ive been trying to find this story ever since.

However, i am interested if anyone knows or has heard this too, and whether it impacts the AARP Medicare Supplement Plans, or is it just for "whole insurance".

Kudos
Views
Replies