Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

United Health Care

I'm appalled at United Health Care for wanting to charge people for their Emergency Room visits if they deemed it isn't necessary.  Luckily I never bought into UHC for my insurance.  This is backed by AARP I believe & I will not renew my membership with aarp if they continue to support & recommend United Health Care to seniors.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am feeling very discouraged with United Health Care. I was literally lied to by the representative! I signed up with them for both myself and my mother. Her card came in with the wrong doctors name on it, when I called the reply was that her doctor doesn't take this insurance so they gave her a new doctor! When I signed up for her, I was told so many lies, the first being that her doctor was on the list and there would be no problems. Today, another new card was sent to her with another new doctor on it. I am sorry, but this is not only abuse, it's a horrible thing to do to a 96 year old with dementia. They also abuse by text and emails. I am actually calling the insurance commissioner as well as my state reps. I am appalled that AARP supports a company like this! 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I assume you have looked at the UHC Medicare provider list?

What is the name of her plan?  Never heard of a Medicare or Medicare Advantage plan that put a specific doctor on her Medicare or Medicare Advantage card.  

I bet she may be within a Medicare subgroup of ACO (Accountable Care Organizations) - where her care is coordinated - 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

I think my point was WHY would AARP back United Health Care when they have done the things in my previous post.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@RobinW469757 wrote

I think my point was WHY would AARP back United Health Care when they have done the things in my previous post.

AARP doesn't "back" them - AARP just gets a royalty payment from them for the use of the "AARP" registered name.

Read the disclosure:

DISCLOSURES

AARP commercial member benefits are provided by third parties, not by AARP or its affiliates. Providers pay a royalty fee to AARP for the use of its intellectual property. These fees are used for the general purposes of AARP. Some provider offers are subject to change and may have restrictions.

https://www.aarp.org/benefits/all-offers-a-z/ 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you for that. I was under a different impression. I am now rethinking my membership as AARP is not what I thought it was. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Plus the name / logo AARP(R) has a lot of recognition in the over 55 crowd and specifically the 65 and over crowd.  Sets them apart from the other insurers and a bunch of other type benefits too - I see how you thought it was like a seal of approval.  But it isn't - but maybe it should be 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@guido95 don't get your knickers in a bunch. UHC has backed off.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/10/health/united-health-insurance-emergency-care.html

Bark less. Wag more.
Honored Social Butterfly

@somarco  - your NYT article says . . . . 

"In the face of growing opposition from hospital and doctors groups, UnitedHealthcare said on Thursday it would delay a plan to stop paying for emergency room visits that it deemed nonurgent, at least until the pandemic has ended."

Other insurers seem to be trying to initiate it - when the pandemic eases more, I think they will all begin to scrutinized ER care and diagnosis since there are plenty Urgent Care facilities now available to pick up those things that are definitely not life-threating.  In fact, for many conditions that show up in the ER during regular business hours, a call or visit to one's doctor could even fit the bill.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP