Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Under 65, disabled on Medicare how do we get secondary insurance

Message 1 of 2

dk3884 wrote:

My spouse and I are both permanently disabled.i have been on Medicare for a while with Kaiser Sr advantage. She will be medicare eligible in May. We are planning on moving, how do we go about finding secondary insurance that won't cost arm and a leg since we aren't 65 yet? (We are 57) We're trying to figure out where we can afford to live, it's to expensive where we are now.

I assume you are talking about Medigap coverage (supplemental insurance) when you say "secondary insurance".  

For your spouse:

Medicare.gov says this:

Medicare.gov - When Can I Buy Medigap?

Federal law doesn't require insurance companies to sell Medigap policies to people under 65. If you're under 65, you might not be able to buy the Medigap policy you want, or any Medigap policy, until you turn 65. However, some states require Medigap insurance companies to sell you a Medigap policy, even if you're under 65. If you're able to buy one, it may cost you more.

This private insurance site has a list of states which they say offers Medigap to those less than 65.  I have no idea if this is correct or even current but it may give you a place to start your search by contacting the state via the SHIP in that state.

However, be advised that in certain states there may not be any picking and choosing because they may only require one Medigap plan to be offered to those under 65.

ehealth Medicare.com - Can I get a Medicare Supplement if I am under 65?

To contact a State Health Insurance Assistance Program in each state, the easiest way is to find the contact info here by state selection.

Medicare.gov - Contact Information

Now for your options -

I assume that Kaiser  Senior Advantage is a Medicare Advantage plan and that is how you have chosen to get your Medicare benefits as opposed to original Medicare.  I assume that you picked a Medicare Advantage plan instead of original Medicare when you 1st became eligible for Medicare because you could not get a Medigap (supplemental) plan in your state since you were less than 65.

You are gonna have to make sure that you can get guaranteed issue rights before you can change from a Medicare Advantage plan to Original Medicare with the (guaranteed issue) option to buy a Medigap plan.  A move to a different state should do it but make sure of your situation and that of your spouse.

Medicare.gov - (Medigap Protections) Guaranteed Issue Rights

An an example of a guaranteed issue right from the above link -

You have a guaranteed issue right (which means an insurance company can’t refuse to sell you a Medigap policy) in these situations:

NOTE:  THIS IS ONLY ONE EXAMPLE FROM THE ABOVE LINK -

You're in a Medicare Advantage Plan, and your plan is leaving Medicare or stops giving care in your area, or you move out of the plan's service area.

• You have the right to buy Medigap Plan A, B, C, F, K, or L that’s sold by any insurance company in your state.
  • You only have this right if you switch to Original Medicare rather than joining another Medicare Advantage Plan.
  • You can/must apply for a Medigap policy
  • As early as 60 days before the date your coverage will end  No later than 63 calendar days after your coverage ends   Medigap coverage can’t start until your Medicare Advantage Plan coverage ends.

Once you narrow down your selection of state and area, it might be beneficial to double check all of this with the SHIP rep in the state or even an independent Medigap agent - in fact, Inwould check both just to make sure they are both giving you the same answers.

Now as to a Medigap policy that is reasonably priced - This is how Medigap policies can be priced - be sure to expand the selection of other cost at the bottom of the page.  Being under 65 may also open up special pricing depending on the state.

Medicare.gov - Cost of Medigap Policies

Good Luck with your moving plans -

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Under 65, disabled on Medicare how do we get secondary insurance

Message 2 of 2

My spouse and I are both permanently disabled.i have been on Medicare for a while with Kaiser Sr advantage. She will be medicare eligible in May. We are planning on moving, how do we go about finding secondary insurance that won't cost arm and a leg since we aren't 65 yet? (We are 57) We're trying to figure out where we can afford to live, it's to expensive where we are now.

Report Inappropriate Content
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors