How can you keep your personal information safe from online scammers on the dark web? Find out on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Under 65 Medicare Supplement in SC

Message 1 of 2

It really doesn't have anything to do with AARP or UHC - it has more to do with Medicare and the state where you live.  

You can can buy a Medigap policy in SC but under their own plan - the South Carolina Health Insurance Pool.

Most likely it is done this way in South Carolina to hold down the premiums for those over 65 - 

You have to determine if the SCHIP Medigap plan is beneficial to you since the premiums are high based on its coverage and your out of pocket medical expenses.

That is why many disabled people do pick up a Medicare Advantage plan, until they turn 65, then you can go back to traditional Medicare and buy any Medigap policy you want during the guaranteed issue period and you cannot be rated for any health condition.

Federal law doesn't require insurance companies to sell Medigap policies to people under 65. If you're under 65, you might not be able to buy the Medigap policy you want, or any Medigap policy, until you turn 65. However, some states require Medigap insurance companies to sell you a Medigap policy, even if you're under 65. If you're able to buy one, it may cost you more.

Medicare.gov - When Can I Buy A Medigap Policy - Under 65

South Carolina has two guaranteed issue Medigap policies for persons under the age of 65 and on Medicare due to disability. The coverage is through the South Carolina Health Insurance Pool (SCHIP).

The plans and costs for all ages, as of January 1, 2018, are as follows:

Plan A - $932.75 monthly

Plan C - $1,185.38 monthly

For additional information on SCHIP, please call 803-788-0222 or 800-868-2500, ext. 46401. You will reach a BlueCross BlueShield representa ve but please know that SCHIP is not a BlueCross BlueShield of SC policy. SCHIP is a state program administered by BlueCross BlueShield of SC. You will get a Medigap open enrollment period when you reach age 65 and you will be able to buy any Medigap policy sold in the state.

South Carolina DOI - 2018 Medicare Supplement Insurance Shoppers Guide - See Page 9

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Under 65 Medicare Supplement in SC

Message 2 of 2

I am 60 and retired due to disability. Why won't the AARP recommended insurance company sell me a Medicare Supplement Plan? I have been covered by Medicare A & B since 2015. 

I feel as as if I'm being cheated of a benefit of being a member. Other companies have offered to sell Advantage plans, but my physicians and hospital, the Medical University of SC does not take Advantage plans.

I feel as if AARP should mandate that United sell traditional Medicare Supplement Plans to its members under the age or 65, after all they accept our membership fees.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies