WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Two Questions re: health insurance for French long-stay visa

Message 1 of 3

You know, it had not occurred to me to ping a Senator or Congressman. And the regional Chief of Staff for one of my Senators owes me a favor. So I think I'll try that route.

Thanks!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Two Questions re: health insurance for French long-stay visa

Message 2 of 3

So weird.  Is it in the insurance policy contract?   If it is, would that be sufficient?  

Have you contacted your Senator or Congress person?   They can often help in these situations.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Two Questions re: health insurance for French long-stay visa

Message 3 of 3

My wife and I would like to live in France for a few years before finally settling down. The requirements for a long-stay visa (over 90 days) include a letter from a health insurance provider stating that we have a policy that covers up to $40,000 in expenses, as well as medical repatriation.

I am a retired U.S. Naval officer, and Tricare for Life covers my wife and me for all these things. Unfortunately, neither the U.S. government nor Tricare will issue a letter stating such (and the French consulate is a stickler about the letter). So on the surface of it, we need to buy some health insurance.

My first question is whether anyone else is a military retiree who did something similar and figured out a way to get the French to acknowledge that Tricare for Life does indeed cover the requirement.

My second question is whether anyone else ended up buying health insurance to cover a long-stay visa in France, and if so, what company did you use?

Thanks!

Kudos
Views
Replies