Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Tiresome commercials by celebrities

Bronze Conversationalist

Tiresome commercials by celebrities

How much do they get paid for that B.S. about getting money back on your S.S. check ?

Free eyeglasses-dental care, etc.?

My husband called one of the 800 numbers, was told he 'could get $50.00 added to his check each month'-no explanation as to how this is done.

He called another 800 number only to hear he'd be connected to a local phone number-which he never was.

Another call to a third number resulted in the person not 'having any answers'.

Rip-off.

Sandee2
Regular Social Butterfly

I wrote (I think 3 years ago) I am sick to death of these ads; they run ad nauseum every day on every channel; so sad they seem to think trying to sucker in the seniors is worth millions in advertising dollars...

I have, in fact, chosen to avoid any advertised company, and, btw, sent back every advertising piece received from United Healthcare (put everything into the sase they include and send back; their "dime" or whatever the cost of postage is today). Hopefully, they'll get the message I already sent years ago to stop sending me anything! It irks me they abuse the environment via their unsolicited mailings!

#StaySafe

#WearAMask

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

The Medicare Part B premium give back that “JJ Kid Dyn-O-mite” and Hollywood Joe Willie are marketing is not an official Medicare program. It’s just an added enticement that some private insurance Medicare Advantage plans, Part C, offer in some zip codes if you enroll in that plan.  These private insurers can adjust their fees associated with their plans once a year.

That’s all I can offer. I have nothing constructive to say about any Medicare Advantage plans. 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ReTiReD51 wrote:

The Medicare Part B premium give back that “JJ Kid Dyn-O-mite” and Hollywood Joe Willie are marketing is not an official Medicare program. It’s just an added enticement that some private insurance Medicare Advantage plans, Part C, offer in some zip codes if you enroll in that plan.  These private insurers can adjust their fees associated with their plans once a year.

Actually, they are just seeing if a beneficiary qualifies for one of the Medicare Savings Programs that pays for (all or part) of the Part B premiums (see my previous post).  Tha's what they mean about adding back to "the Social Security" check.

You would be surprised how many people don't know programs like this exist, if they qualify - income or income & resource wise.  Medicare nor the applicable state don't really publicize it readily.  So for this part of these celeb spills, they are just using what is already there as their "hook" - and the way MA plans are growing, where available, evidently it is working.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@GailL1  I wasn’t really sure of the details of how the premium reduction worked, but I did read a disclaimer that said
…..“You must also not be accepting government assistance that pays part of the Part B premium already”.

From “already” in that statement I guessed they were somehow going to help you with getting a partial or full premium payback going through the Medicare savings program, but I wasn’t certain.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ss11943859 wrote:

How much do they get paid for that B.S. about getting money back on your S.S. check ?

Free eyeglasses-dental care, etc.?

They are only selling what is already there for beneficiaries that qualify - by income or income and resources; usually plan or state specific.  Or for specific chronic conditions in some Medicare Advantage plans.

You have to understand what they are selling and how it might apply to you.  Many Medicare beneficiaries don't know, not even the low income ones.  

I am listing some of them and giving links for people who read this to do their own research.

Medicare.gov - Medicare Savings Program

You can read them in detail at the link - I am only covering what they pay for if one is eligible.

1.  The Qualified Medicare Beneficiary Program (QMB):  The Program helps pay for:

Part A premiums, Part B premiums, and deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments for services and items Medicare covers.

2.  The Specified Low-Income Beneficiary Program (SLBP):  The SLMB Program is a state program that helps pay Part B (only) premiums for people who have Part A and limited income and resources.  

3.  The Qualified Individual Program (QI):    The QI Program is a state program that helps pay Part B (only) premiums for people who have Part A and limited income and resources. You must apply every year for QI benefits. QI applications are granted on a first-come, first-served basis, with priority given to people who got QI benefits the previous year. (You can't get QI benefits if you qualify for Medicaid).

4.  The Qualified Disabled and Working Individual Program (QDWI)

If you qualify for the QMB program, SLMB, or QI program, you automatically qualify to get Extra Help paying for Medicare drug coverage.  Extra Help is a program that helps pay drug costs for people with limited income and resources.  This program helps pay for your Medicare drug coverage, such as plan premiums, deductibles, and costs when you fill your prescriptions, called copays or coinsurance.  

For quailified beneficiaries, they may pay less or pay nothing for their Med D plan premium and yearly deductible (an amount one has to pay before the plan starts to pay.)

Copays & coinsurance: In 2021, drug costs are no more than:

• $3.70 for each generic drug
  • $9.20 for each brand-name covered drug

ALL the above programs are available to Medicare beneficiaries who qualify for them no matter if they are getting their Medicare benefits through the Traditional program or a Medicare Advantage plan.  These are separate from the Medicare/Medicaid dual eligible program - which is for REALLY low income beneficiaries.

As to those extra benefits you referenced - vision, hearing, dental and even MORE -

These are specific Medicare Advantage plans or Prescription Drug Plans that offer these special benefits which Traditional Medicare does not cover.  They started a few years ago and Medicare has approved their addition to Medicare Advantage plans that want to include them.  The benefits run the ramut -  This AARP recent article describes some of these special benefits:

AARP.org - 10/08/2021 - New Medicare Benefits Available for People With Chronic Conditions

from the link ~

Since 2019, some Medicare Advantage plans have offered extra health-related benefits — coverage of over-the-counter medications, in-home support services, nutrition counseling and transportation to medical appointments — to people with chronic conditions. Last year the benefits expanded to include nonmedical services, such as meal delivery, transportation to the grocery store and even pest control.

So these celebs are only getting you to call and the MA reps are supposed to see if you qualify for any of the above.  

Medicare Advantage insurers are paid by Medicare to service the beneficiaries that sign up for their plans - The are supposed to be paid what is the average beneficiary cost in the area which they service - a benchmark.  So you see why they want to sign up as many beneficiaries as they can - and they are succeeding.

Those "special" benefits of dental, vision and hearing in MA plans are a good Hook (you know what I mean, right?).  Are these type of special coverages a good value ??????  I'd kick some tires.

KHN / WEBMD 10/27/2021 - Medicare Plans’ ‘Free’ Dental, Vision, Hearing Benefits Come at a Cost

It is a lot more complicated than this - but tried to make this explanation as simple as possible.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

These "come-ons" are semi-scams. I have Medicare Advantage through my former employer. I have gotten repeated warnings from my former employer regarding these "come-ons", their dishonesty, and how they could affect my present Medicare Advantge Plan.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Right on ! So confusing trying to find the right plan for ones needs. Have to be so careful.

Sandee2
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP