WATCH VIDEO: Friday's Iowa presidential candidate forum. Appearing are Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: The high cost of drugs!!

Message 31 of 55

Wasn't this year but last year,UnitedMedical went from 30 dollars total for the month to 300+ a month. What's up with that Aarp ? You promote them as your leading provider , yet they certainly seemed to take advantage of the situation from 2013 to 2014 ! 

I know medicare sets the base rate ,but a 100% increase is too much Aarp . Aren't you looking out for your members ? If I were you I'd be questioning that amount of increase , particularly when it coinsided with the release/startup of the ACA .

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 55
The drug companies say they have to charge high prices to support their R and D, but the truth is that they spend more on direct-to-the-public advertising on TV than they spend on R and D.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 55

It is interesting to note that the Veteran's Administration does negotiate with the drug companies and enjoy much lower costs that the rest of the public.  I take Crestor.  The med for 90 days costs more then $500 at retail, my Medicare RX copay is $135. 

I have purchased meds in Canada on and off for many years.  It turns out that in Canada the patents do not last as long or are eliminated under the Canadian medical system so that the costs actually go lower.  On top of that Canada forces generics on to the market sooner.  I just paid less than my copay for a 90 day prescription of Crestor as a generic from Canada. 

The percentage of revenue devoted to research by the drug companies is very small relative to costs which include large marketing expenditures.  It is time for the U. S. System to get a clue.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 55

The drug companies seem to justify the high costs by the amount of money it takes for research and bringing a drug to market.  However, there appear to be no standards or guidelines for these costs so that the public can see if they are justified or just being ripped off.  I hate to suggest but it looks like government regulation is the only solution.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 55

He is probably a few hundred dollars a month too high for medicaid, after working his whole life.

Government needs the money for the non-english, non working people to get their meds for free so they can continue to live on and be a drain on the rest of us.  Makes sense--N O T

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 55

So, your in the medical field, I take it?

Don't know any fry cooks, but they

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 55

As a tax payor, you paid for their R and D with your tax dollars.

Then, they have the nerve to charge us OUTLANDISH PRICES.

Something has to be done about this.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 55

I miss it.

I have this to say.

After working more than 50 years and paying my taxes, I now in my "golden years" have to pay for my husband's insulin (he also worked and paid taxes for more than 50 years) and when we hit the "donut hole" insulin costs us bout $250 a month.

When I see people who have never worked a day in their lives come in with the medicaid cards and walk out with their insulin for free, it really bothers me.  The fact that some of them have not even bothered to learn to speak English so they could possibly go to work is absolutely a sin.

Cut these people off and give the benefit to the people who worked and supported our country with our tax money.  They are a drain on the people of this country.

Ironic to think that my tax money goes to buy their medicine when they are much younger than me and could be working to pay for the elderly to get their medication.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 55

Obtaining drugs from Canada may be the wise thing to do.  Just this year one particular drug I am taking took a jump from $24.00 for a three month supply to $120.00 for the same amount.  I called my drug prescription plan (United Healthcare through AARP) and wrote two letters requesting an explanation.  None could be given !!  Not even a reply to my inquiries.   Pretty sad !!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 55

It is ironic that both Canada and Mexico see the identical medications produced by the same manufacurers for 90% less than in the USA.  Obamacare if you dare or not wise enough to read the fine, fine print!!

Example:My wife takes Ambien which we have been getting from Costco for $22.00 for 45 tablets last month and this month the same RX is $229.40.

Kudos
Views