Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The high cost of drugs!!

Message 49 of 55
Which also brings up the last point which was made in the 60 minute story -
What value do you put on a medicine if it only has been documented to add a few months to a cancer patients life ? That is also an important part of the discussion on the cost of these types of medications depending upon the stage and the progression.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 51 of 55

"...Seems the drug companies rip us off with pricing....".

I am no fan of the drug industry, but you do realize that you are paying for R&D on these drugs which costs the company millions. 

On the other hand, we know the meds are not as expensive outside the U.S. I been using a pharmacy in Canada for some time now.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 55

I was behind an older fellow at Wallgreen's.  He had three prescriptions.  Was told cost was $1,200.  He protested.  Seems he hit the donut hole.  He asked pharmacist what drugs he could do without since he could only afford one of the three.  Pharmacist told his to consult his physician and referred him to senior services for advice.  When I asked the Pharmacist what do people do when they can't afford their medicines?  She said "they die."   Lipitor was $480 per 90 day presciption.  When they went generic it was $10 per 90 day prescription.   Lipitor then came out with a $12 per 90 day prescrpition. Same happened with Plavix.  Seems the drug companies rip us off with pricing.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 55

I've recently had medical tests & a procedure, and seeing the amounts billed to the insurance company, I'm blown away by all the big numbers. I would like to know how they calculate those items .. why should it cost $700 for an ultrasound, or $4,500 for biopsies of several tissue samples?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

The high cost of drugs!!

Message 55 of 55

Did anyone catch the 60 Minutes special about the cost of cancer drugs?  If that doesn't get people flaming mad what will?  Discuss your thoughts here.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies