Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Spouse Discount

I turned 65 and have been on medicare for almost 1 year. I chose the Medicare AARP/ United Healthcare suppliment plan G. My wife will turn 65 in September. Is there any discount if she also signs up for the same plan or does she have to get her own seperate plan?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The reason I thought they might be inclined to do that is many other companies offer the Medicare suppliment plans. My email is flooded with them already for her. When I did mine AARP had the best price and other people I know that have it are satisfied with the company. We will most likley be going with them for her as well. I was just checking if there was a different price if both are on it.

Thanks for the replies. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@te1271 wrote:

The reason I thought they might be inclined to do that is many other companies offer the Medicare suppliment plans. My email is flooded with them already for her. When I did mine AARP had the best price and other people I know that have it are satisfied with the company. We will most likley be going with them for her as well. I was just checking if there was a different price if both are on it.

Thanks for the replies. 

Medicare.gov - Cost of Medigap policies

Each insurance company decides how it will set the price, or Premium, for its Medigap policies. It’s important to ask how an insurance company prices its policies. The way they set the price affects how much you pay now and in the future.

Medigap policies can be priced or "rated" in 3 ways:

If you both are going with the same Medicare GAP plan and it is an AARP/UHC supplemental plan, it is most likely "community-rated" but you will have to verify that with your agent or state insurance dept.

See # 4 at this Medicare.gov link -

Medicare.gov - What's Medicare Supplement Insurance (MEDIGAP)

4.  A Medigap policy only covers one person. If you and your spouse both want Medigap coverage, you'll each have to buy separate policies.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplements-other-insurance/whats-medicare-supplement-insurance-medigap/med...

Insurance companies may charge different premiums for the same exact policy. As you shop for a policy, be sure you're comparing the same policy. For example, compare Plan A from one company with Plan A from another company.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@te1271 wrote:

I turned 65 and have been on medicare for almost 1 year. I chose the Medicare AARP/ United Healthcare suppliment plan G. My wife will turn 65 in September. Is there any discount if she also signs up for the same plan or does she have to get her own seperate plan?

ALL Medicare plans - Advantage plans and Traditional Medicare -  are always individual plans - there are NO discounts based on a family unit. 

Every person's health is different - especially those on Medicare.  They may go to different doctors, their medications is different.  There maybe different health needs.  For these reasons, even those within a family need to pick the best plan for themselves based on their health needs.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks. We have already decided she is getting the exact same plan I am already signed up for. I was hoping that since we both will be using the same AARP/ United Health Care plan G for our suppliment coverage they might offer something like a spousal discount.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just make sure when picking your Part D Prescription Drug Coverage plans that you base it on the meds that each of you are taking, if any, rather than going with the same plan and then review your respective choices yearly based on any changes to the plan or the meds during the open enrollment period for drug coverage.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks. We are both lucky enough to not be on any medication so we can't make the choice based on that. I was also lucky enough to have retirement medical coverage from my company that even though it stops when you turn 65 it still covered your spouce until they turned 65 if later than you. The downside to that is they covered all medications so we never had to think about choosing a drug plan. For me it was the hardest part of choosing Medicare plans. A and B were pretty much automatic and it really came down to F or G for supplimantal. Plan D on the other hand really makes you look deep into the chrystal ball to figure that one out.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP