From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 611 of 651

@johnamymc wrote:

Seniors: 

So Silver Sneakers is being eliminated- wow! Subtle change to Medigap plans. Hope you see it as it is- somewhere government funding has been cut. Sooooo logical place to cut- programs that only some Seniors use. Please vote in November- #Sneaky Paul Ryan!

Medicare, Medigap nor the government has anything to do with Silver Sneakers.

It was an EXTRA benefit added on by UHC to entice beneficiaries to pick their plan.

They still have a health and wellness plan - not Silver Sneakers and it comes with only a discount to participating gyms.

Same thing with AARP - they are developing a plan called Flip50 with Trivity Health, the parent company of Silver Sneakers.  Again. It is not free but a discount off the normal rate of $44 a month.  It covers the demographics of AARP - meaning the over 50 crowd.  It also covers more - health, wellness, nutrition - I made a separate thread about it if you want to check out the links which I provided.

Again, I am cautioning those talking about changing Medigap (Medicare supplemental ) plans to just make sure that you don't get involved in medical underwriting or pre-existing condition time limit exclusions or much higher premiums depending upon how the Medigap insurer determines their premiums.

Just don't cancel your current Medigap (Medicare supplemental) plan until you know you have a new one at the terms that are acceptable to you. 

A couple of good links on canceling or switching Medigap (supplemental) plans

https://www.medicare.gov/supplements-other-insurance/when-can-i-buy-medigap/guaranteed-issue-rights

https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-qa-tool/cancel-medigap-can-i-reenroll-at-open-enrollment/

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 612 of 651

We will also be switching to another medigap plan provider.  It seems to me that keepiing seniors healthy by providing Silver Sneakers would be in the best interests of UHC.  I take Silver Sneakers/Senior Fitness classes at my local gym 5 days a week and enjoy being able to take classes at another particpating facility when we travel.  With the new so-called "benefit" we will lose the portability of Silver Sneakers and the abiilty to just show our cards to take classes or use the gym when we are away from home.  Now we'll have to join each club, maybe pay an enrollment fee and a membership fee.. 

At least half of the people I take classes with now will have to drop out of our gym unless they also swich to another provider.  Many of my gym buddies are on fixed incomes with very tight budgets and will not be able to afford the gym membership fees. A discount will not help them.

Very disappointing decision UHC!!  It so obvious that they are are a for-profit company and that profits come before people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 613 of 651

Seniors: 

So Silver Sneakers is being eliminated- wow! Subtle change to Medigap plans. Hope you see it as it is- somewhere government funding has been cut. Sooooo logical place to cut- programs that only some Seniors use. Please vote in November- #Sneaky Paul Ryan!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 614 of 651

I’m getting ready to enroll.  No UHC for me.  UHC makes obscene money.  AARP should drop their endorsement for the UHC supplemental plans.  I love the YMCA.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 615 of 651

My wife and I received the notice today that the AARP Supplement Plan will drop Silver Sneakers. Accordingly, we will drop the AARP Supplement Plan and we will both drop out of AARP.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 616 of 651

This is totally disgusting.  I attend the Silver Sneakers classes at our local pool 3 times a week along with about 30 others.  We are trying to stay healthy but  it seems you would rather pay for medical care than for programs to keep us healthy. On top of everything else, you raised  our premiums. The seniors cannot afford to pay pool fees.  Big Corporate has won again.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 617 of 651

I will at least take a look at the plans that continue to offer Silver Sneakers.

The proposed replaced plan put forward by United Healthcare is not even close to the Silver Sneakers plan. First you need to pay 50% assuming your Y or gym participates; also the number of gyms you can go to is more limited.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 618 of 651

For those wanting to change Medgap coverage please also read : https://medicare.com/medicare-supplement/switching-medigap-policies/ . Use a Licensed Health Insurance Broker in your state to make the changes.!!!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 619 of 651

I think this also reduces the value of belonging to AARP.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 620 of 651
Sorry this didn't attach when I responded.
Go to this website to find which medicare insurance that offers Silver Sneakers: https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans
Again, looks like this is for 2018. Hope it updates for 2019.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season