Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 601 of 625

I received notice that United Health Care Insurance Company will no longer offer the Silver Sneakers Program in Ohio.

I am on a limited income and this was a valuable benefit that I used weekly! You offer a YMCA discounted membership at a discount of 50% in its place-this will cut into my meager income.

So now you can increase your stock dividend. and your executive compensation with the additional income that this cost saving will provide the company.

Your form letter begins “As you known, at UnitedHealth care, we are committed to providing you with a wide variety of health and well services “. You do have a commitment but the commitment is not to my health but to greater profits!

Keith A. Mann

1175 Calla Road East, A123

Poland, Ohio 44514

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 602 of 625

I am also disappointed that Silver Sneakers is being dropped by AARP's recommended medicare provider.  I am currrent lookng for other medicare providers that support the Siler Sneakers proogram

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 603 of 625

I was extremely disappointed today when I received the letter from AARP stating that effective January 1, 2019, they will be dropping Silver Sneaker. The Silver Sneaker program is one of the best programs to promote exercise and wellness for senior in existence. By dropping this program they are sentencing an untold number of seniors to a death sentence of inactivity. It looks like AARP and United Healthcare want to start their own program from what I read into the letter and force fitness companies to join their network. Smart, get your members to do the dirty work for you lazy folks. It is all about greed! Doesn't make any difference if it is the Democrats, Republicans, or now AARP. So much for the AARP representing all seniors, that is just a marketing line filled with BS. Guess I might be looking for another health insurer for next year. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 604 of 625

i have skin in the game...working for 47 years paid full Social Security and full insurance premium.  I pay both a premium for AARP and a medicare premium and deductible.  That is quite a lot of money.

I will chose my yoga program or Pilates and then they can pay half.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 605 of 625

Well I do not like your other so called opiunm...it is not all that here where i live in Cleveland Ohio...The place i was going.to for 3 yrs...does not except it and the other places are in need of repairs and they are dirty.....bathrooms for... I am a senior and i really dont want to travel to the other side of town..I really miss the place i was going to..its really ashame we can not choose...in my area we have more silver sneakers acceptance then optimum.....

Rosemarie Kuebler...Sept 4 2018

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 606 of 625

UHC/AARP doesn't offer Silver Sneakers to their medigap customers in Washington state ( told that in a phone call to the company ).  The Optum deal does cover my local gyms but pays 50%, not the entire cost.  In some ways this makes sense as you're more likely to use it with some "skin in the game."

Burnhaven
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 607 of 625
Went into silver sneakers web site and was told i no longer have my silver sneakers.....I am very anger with all their bull .....no sneakers no hearing aids no compression socking for for my legs ..no shoes....and who knows what else. I am a diabetic and these things I need....guess i will have look for new Insurance
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 608 of 625

@MaryL1957 wrote:
I was told the facility which is my community recreation center would take Optum Fitness and I would continue getting my classes for free. I previously had Silver Sneakers. However, when I went to get my card I was told the facility will take Optum but I am no longer able to go to my classes (Silver Sneaker classes) for free. I was totally mislead when I signed up and that makes me very upset.

Here is the November 2017 announcement on the Optum Fitness Advantage program available to individual Medicare Advantage members in some states.

Star Tribune 11.06.2017'- UnitedHealth Group enters senior fitness market race.

Things "told" sometimes get miscommunicated especially since this is a very new progra

To double check what you have been told, put your location into the Optum Fitness Advantage participating fitness participants and see which facilities come up.  

That location should offer the things covered in the agreement which they have with United Health Group.  From the press release, it says:

In Minnesota, UnitedHealthcare doesn't currently sell Medicare Advantage plans, so the news won't impact subscribers here. The new Optum program gives Medicare Advantage customers in states like Arizona and Texas access to a large network of participating fitness centers.

"Plan participants will have access to the same services, privileges, classes and programs as the fitness centers' standard members, including waiver of all enrollment fees," UnitedHealthcare said Monday in a statement announcing the program.

This is exactly what the agreement says to participating facilities.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gfit-omas/public/files/2/Gym_Informational_Flyer.pdf

There is also a place on the Optum Fitness Advantage website where you can ask them to solicite a particular facility to enroll in the program.

Perhaps the class which you want isn't part of the standard membership .

If that is the case, and this class was something specific to your previous Silver Sneakers plan and since there is now more competition in this senior fitness program, before you switch back to another Medicare Advantage plan still offering 

the Silver Sneakers program, you should make sure that their plan hasn't changed too.

These fitness programs are an extra benefit - not one that is mandated by Medicare - so they can change, modify, stop at will unless it is specifically covered in the ANNUAL Medicare Advantage plans benefit description disclosure and then it is only an annual benefit.

If this is an important part of the coverage you desire in a Medicare health plan, check it out at the annual open enrollment.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 609 of 625
I was told the facility which is my community recreation center would take Optum Fitness and I would continue getting my classes for free. I previously had Silver Sneakers. However, when I went to get my card I was told the facility will take Optum but I am no longer able to go to my classes (Silver Sneaker classes) for free. I was totally mislead when I signed up and that makes me very upset.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 610 of 625

@MaryL1957

This sort of benefit for either of the programs limits their coverage to "Participating facilities".  

Have you determined which facilities take the Optum Fitness Advantage program in your area?  Most likely the facilities differ between the two programs.

Optum Fitness Advantage

This website will allow you to find a participating facility.

BTW, Optum Fitness, OptumRX, AARP United Healthcare Medicare Advantage, AARP Medicare Supplemental plans, any United Healthcare plan are ALL part of the United Health Group - they are just subsidiaries of the same overall business.

AARP just partners with this group, as well as others, to offer benefits to their Members and AARP does get money for this relationship.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views