Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 481 of 679

@ShelleyG149812 wrote:

I strongly agree with you.  Wellness coaches are a waste of time.  I am a Parkinson's patient who relied on the Silver Sneakers classes to help with balance and strength issues.  There are 1+million Parkinson's patients that could benefit from Silver Sneakers.  A regular gym membership does nothing for me but increase the chance that I could become injured if I don't use the equiptment correctly. Unfortunately, there is no instruction at the gyms on how to use the equiptment without hurting yourself.  In addition AARP's recommendation of the YMCA is a complete joke since non exist where I live.  The gym I was using for Silver Sneakers is only a mile from my home.  So my premiums have increased and my benefits have decreased.  I think next year when my AARP membership comes due for my husband and  myself I will probably not renew.  I don't see any real benefits to membership. 

Sorry to here about the parkinsons.  I know that must be rough.

I believe our insurance with UHC is contingent on our membership in AARP.  A group plan?? 

So I think you need to verify this and find out what it means if you cancel outside the open enrollment.  Could UHC cancel you at the expiration of your AARP membership?  Would you be without insurance until the next open enrolment?   Or does this circumstance allow you to enroll when you drop AARP.  Etc. etc. etc..

I think you can cancel your membership and get back the remainder of your dues, which would let you change now, which is what I might do even if I loose the dues.

Ron

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 482 of 679

Look into Rock Steady Boxing. It is a program created for Parkinson's patients, I have used it and it really works, they have affiliates all over the country.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 483 of 679

I strongly agree with you.  Wellness coaches are a waste of time.  I am a Parkinson's patient who relied on the Silver Sneakers classes to help with balance and strength issues.  There are 1+million Parkinson's patients that could benefit from Silver Sneakers.  A regular gym membership does nothing for me but increase the chance that I could become injured if I don't use the equiptment correctly. Unfortunately, there is no instruction at the gyms on how to use the equiptment without hurting yourself.  In addition AARP's recommendation of the YMCA is a complete joke since non exist where I live.  The gym I was using for Silver Sneakers is only a mile from my home.  So my premiums have increased and my benefits have decreased.  I think next year when my AARP membership comes due for my husband and  myself I will probably not renew.  I don't see any real benefits to membership. 

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 484 of 679

Kathy,

THANK you for the reminder about the various ways that premiums are calculated. When looking for different plans one must keep in mind the effects of a premium's component factors as we progress in age.

Kind regards,

Liz

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 485 of 679

I don't know that much about it.  I am in California and called our agent and she reviewed scenarios with me, just looking through what the age-based companies were charging this year at each age versus what I am currently paying UHC.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 486 of 679

@KathyC708800

Do those Medigap private insurers rate all their plans the same way nation-wide?  Or do they perhaps do it based on the state where they are selling the policy?

I was under the impression that some states limit how the insurers can do it to one option - like community rated.  That would certainly make a beneficiaries comparison easier between insurers.

I don't know - I am asking.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 487 of 679

I think the problem with switching to another provider is you have to be very careful and look at the long-term implications.  Blue Shield and Anthem use age-attained rating so the cost goes up every year for your age, in addition to general increases.  UHC uses community-based so your age doesn't count.  So be sure to look at the rates for 10 years out or so and make sure you don't save a bit now and pay for it later - that's what my situation looked like.  Of course, I supposed UHC could also decide to change that down the road.  

Apparently any of us with Plan F will have to be careful down the road too because as new people are not enrolled in it, the average particpant age will just keep getting older and older so it will probably become too costly.  We will probably move to the G Plan now -  it actually appears to be priced as a better bargain.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 488 of 679

@ls63763447 wrote:

Thanks. I get it now. So AARP should come up with their own Fitness Program, and make available for FREE to Medigap customers.

The current program for 2019 just is not appealing and I won’t participate.  I don’t want to pay an added fee per month for a gym membership. and I don’t want to sit in front of a computer by myself to exercise. The fee I consider a hidden increase in the premium and the Healthyyourway.com website is a waste.  

I can join our local Senior Center for $10 a year. They have exercise classes and other activities but no pool. 

Perhaps AARP can just go up on the membership cost for everybody so that they can "give" this extra benefit to those that want it - Ha, HA. (being sarcastic)  AARP already has information available to members - there are videos, articles written for all age groups (50+). 

I did read that Tivity Health (parent company to the Silver Sneakers(R) program) was coming up with a program called Flip50 which AARP members (50+) could participate in at a discount.

PRNewswire August 02, 2018 - Tivity Health Announces flip50 Healthy Lifestyle Program Available to A...

Nothing is actually ever "FREE" -somebody pays -  if this sort of health and fitness is important or needed to a person to keep them healthy / healthier as they increase in age - PRICELESS, perhaps the budget needs to be adjusted.  Medigap policies aren't really cheap, measuring them based on what they are required (legislated) to cover.  Low income seniors don't have Medigap plans - if they are very low,low income seniors they have Medicare/Medicaid and there are no "free" health and fitness gym programs available to them.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 489 of 679

Your correct I just looked into changing from AARP UHC to Anthem Blue Cross

with the same coverage.  I will be saving close to $500 by making the switch and I will be able to have silver sneakers.

Thanks for the info!!

Seniors helping seniors

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 490 of 679

Your correct I just looked into changing from aarp uhc to anthem blue cross

with the same coverage.  I will be saving close to $500 by making the switch and I will be able to have silver sneakers.

Thanks for the info!!

Seniors helping seniors

Kudos
Views