Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 31 of 622

I did - changed my plan to Humana- you can change C-F  supplemental providers at any time. LA Fitness her i come Smiley Happy

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 32 of 622

aarp should be ashamed to be depriving people of gyms and fitness programs and then lying about

replacing the plan

let's protest

everybody call today

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 33 of 622

If you have a Medicare Advantage plan, you have until March 31st to switch.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 622

Fit50 is a ripoff it costs 39 bucks monthly. Just another way to squeeze more money out of you while providing less service. I will be switching health plans next year

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 622

Fit50 is a ripoff it costs 39 bucks monthly. Just another way to squeeze more money out of you while providing less service. I will be switching health plans next year

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 622

Medicare plans change by state.

Silver Sneakers has a icon for Health Plan Partners and Ohio has 16 partners.

Anthem medigap/supplement is cheaper than AARP.  Alot depends on which Medigap Plan.  F is becoming much more expensive because it is being discontinued for new seniors. AARP is usually more expensive because UHC pays AARP 5% commission.

Some YMCA's do not accept Silver Sneakers or have weird policies for their 'home' YMCA.

In Ohio wife and I saved about $8 to $12 per month each going from AARP to another company that has silver sneakers.

Again.  All medigap/supplement plans are secondary to medicare primary and just pay the percentage that medicare does not.  So 1 company is not really any better than another.  Premier health network in ohio for a period did Not accept UHC or AARP UHC advantage plan.  Since medicare was primary for the AARP supplement plan, it was accepted.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 622

1. Never heard of this "Fit50". The letter I received from AARP/UHC calls their New and Improved plan "HealthYourWay.com" It offers 50% off membership at "participating" health clubs including YMCA's. However, there are apparently NO global agreements with club networks. AARP wants US to go out and sell their program to individual clubs. My local Y never heard of it and said, effectively, pay uo or you are out.

2. I had checked the Silver Sneakers link of eligible health plans and - there is a HUGE catch (Surprise!). For Blue Cross, only their Advantage plans are eligible. NOT the Medigap plans. The eligible Medigap plans of other insurers were WAY more expensive than even AARP/UHC.

3. YMCA appears to be dropping Silver Sneakers entirely. I suspect it was AARP/UHC that was the major supporter of it, and financial backer.

4. It has been nearly impossible to get reliable, accurate information about what is going on anywhere, from anyone. People either don't know what they are talking about or are being devious.

5. Situations in your particular geographic area may be different. Medicare supplemental plans are all different, depending on the state. Health clubs may be the same way. YMCA's are organized into regions which appear to be autonomous is setting policy. Those in my metro region do not appear to have any senior discounts. You will need to research your own situation. And do NOT rely on what just one person tells you. Multiple sources and get it in clear writing.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 622

Okay, this is all very wierd. I belong to LA Ftiness in Chicago, and there were signs saying that SS was being cancelled, due to change with UHC/AARP. I watched a line of people being told this. An email to AARP brought forth a response: cannnot answere with the information you provided. Then a search on the AARP website said somthing about Fit50? Anyone had the chance to check this out as an option?

Some tooling about on the net brought this: https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans?state=IL

This NPR article seems to give the most information: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/12/04/673249571/unitedhealthcare-customers-are-unhapp...

Hope this helps!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 622

Read some of the back posts for lots of information. Many of the Medigap policies provide SS and with those policies you can see any doc that accepts medicare. In my opinion, if you can afford them, they are much easier to use and there are no surprises about what you'll be paying/ or denials if you need medical care.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 622

To date I have refused to stop my original Medicare plan with a gap policy and move to a Medicare Advantage plan.  I want to be able to use any physician or health professional system anywhere in the USA.  I had a medical condition that needed surgery and was so rare that I could only go to another state and pay out of pocket. But after 10 years of suffering, a local surgeon took cutting-edge-training and I was able to get that needed surgery. It took only 20 minutes and normal healing time...I now live a normal pain free life.  So in answer to your situation, I do feel sorry that you have lost your wide access to your physicians of choice now and in future unless you move back to the original Medicare insurance.  It is a shame that Silver Sneakers is being cut out of insurance policies.  My experience with Silver Sneakers is that the fitness and health company is excellent in reputation, services, website, newsletter, videos, and has wide varity of health information for seniors.  

Kudos
Views