Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 21 of 693

Sadly, not completely accurate.   There is NO Fitness option in my County in 2020.  (It has been explained to me by an insurance broker friend that it is not profitable here.)

I have changed my insurer as a result.  Naturally, I feel very let down by the AARP/UHC coalition.  I won't die from it and .....now I know.....

Good luck everybody.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 22 of 693

That's fine for those wanting to stay with United Health Care.   I dropped them last December in favor of the Medicare Supplemental plan offered by Anthem Blue Cross.  For me, it was cheaper and I kept Silver Sneakers.   Everyone needs to look at what works for them.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 23 of 693

i started this chain and am hapoy to report uhc aarp has heard our protest and seniors can now join gyms again for free! thank you aarp and uhc and all those who pushed back! 

let's get active! no longer called silver sneakers but still the benefit is there! 

thanks all!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 693

Not all plans have dropped Silver Sneakers. Some Medicare advantage plans still include them. My plan had it in 2018, switched to offering one discounted membership in 2019, and now this year are again offering a new free coverage very like Silver Sneakers, the new plan is called Renew Active.

. Be aware that you don't have to be covered by a SS plan in order to take SS classes. You just need to join a gym that offers the classes.

Silver Sneakers has a page where you can plug in your information and find out if your insurance includes SS coverage, and then farther down the page, you can look up what gyms in your area offer the SS membership and classes. 

https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/CheckEligibility

My AARP UnitedHealthcare Medicare Supplement Plan (a Medigap Plan 'F' plan) now offers very similar free coverage through their RenewActive plan this year. I take the classes at LA Fitness, where all the group classes, including Silver Sneakers classes are free, in addition to use of the gym, equipment and pool. You should contact your provider to find out if either Silver Sneakers or Renew Active is one of the benefits of your plan. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 693

That would be too bad. I need a fitness FREE plan. I was about to look into Silversneakers. My neighbor is at Snap Fitness using Silversneakers and I thought how ideal it's just down the road. But now you are not supporting Silversnealers so I guess you will have some unhappy seniors.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 693

The site still lists Silver Sneakers as a benefit.  Silvers Sneakers offices sees no termination in their website.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 693

Amen

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 693

I have now signed up to a competing g insurer over this issue. Chose my gym (250 visits a year) over my Dr. (1 visit per year) when AARP/UHC chose profit over wellness.  (Fyi....in my County, AARP/UHC dropped fitness riders completely..i.e. replaced with zilch)

Life goes on.

Good luck all 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 693

Yes the medigap plan uses a different program for gyms.  Apparently AARP has made some deal with Planet Fitness and won't discuss other gyms.  This is useless for me as PF is over 30 miles a way and doesn't offer any of the programs I use - as in yoga classes.   My local gym which is on silver sneakers is 1 mile away - I am at the gym 5 days a week so the travel amoubts to a cost of  $8 a day for approximately 250 days or $2000 a year.  Plus I had to pay $600 for my wife and myself to remain at our current gym in 2019.  Plus, Humana is less expensive for the Plan F I am enrolled in.  

Thanks for being such a great insurance sales company AARP instead of representing older folks. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 693

IMHO  Now is a good time to bail from Plan F if you can.

@ChristineS148307 wrote:

Hi GaiL1-thanks for your informative replys.  You provide us with good stuff! 

I'm wondering what you think about whether the community rated plans (UHC Standard Plan F in California) will have their rates go crazy without the ability to add new members after january 1, 2020. 

Isn't the community rated plan based on "average age" of all in the  plan?  If so, seems to me that without newer, younger people joining the plan, that the rates will go sky high as we get older.  Or is it really only increased due to inflation?  wonder what "other factors" means......

🙂 

I do believe Plan F premiums will go into a death spiral. But even before considering that, compare Plan F vs Plan G premiums TODAY. In Illinois, Plan F annual premium run about $400-500 more then Plan G. Yet plan F only saves you a $200 deductible! You'll pay more in premiums then the Plan will save you in $

As I understand community rated.. everyone in the geographical area share all the plan's cost. Plan cost increases each year w/inflation but also increases as the number in the plan drop off. Give the cost of Plan F ain't worth it compared to G, I'm switching. I think many others will too. All of which will continue to drive Plan F prices through the roof

p.s. Also, be aware that, at least in Illinois, switching from AARP UHC Plan F to  Plan G requires medical underwriting! Meaning the sooner you switch plans the more likely you don't have to worry about not meeting underwriting criteria.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors