Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 201 of 688

@don1cobb wrote:

And wouldn't it be interesting to know how much AARP is paid to flog these policies to us. 

Here is AARP's 2016 Non-profit report (Form 990) - that is the last one that I could find.

https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/about_aarp/annual_reports/2017/form-990-2016-aarp.pdf

Royalties - which are a non-tax item for charitable organizations under unrelated income defined by the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicr80.pdf

are shown in Part VIII - Statement of Revenue, page 9, line 5 -  Form 990 -Royalty amount of $ 880,148, 099.  Now this is the total amount from all of the AARP Insurance Plan programs for this reporting period - I am assuming from their description that these are only the ones for which you have to be a member of AARP in order to participate.

On Schedule O page 2, AARP describes this Royalty income as this:

The AARP Insurance Plan is a grantor trust established by an Agreement and Declaration of Trust for the purpose of making group health insurance and other health-related products and services available to AARP, Inc. members. Agreements between AARP, Inc., AARP Services, Inc., and several insurance companies enable AARP-branded insurance products to be made available to AARP members.

At the direction of the third party insurance carriers, the Plan pays AARP, Inc. a portion of the total premiums collected for the use of its intellectual property, which is reported as royalties in the consolidated statements of activities.

BTW, the amount a company pays to AARP for these royalties, I.e. the use of their intellectual property - the AARP name - is also deductible as a business expense on the company's return - a cost of doing business.

So, if a person also deducts the amount of this insurance on their personal return - Schedule B - it becomes a tax expenditure for taxpayers - meaning it cost tax money to give this deduction since it has never been taxed at any level.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 202 of 688

Are we being too hard on UHC?

After all, they only make (as in profit) about a Billion dollars per month. And they only have $38 billion in the bank.  (per SEC filing 10-Q for the third quarter 2018). And the top two executives only make $18 million eachper year. 

And wouldn't it be interesting to know how much AARP is paid to flog these policies to us. 

So maybe we arn't being too hard after all.

dcobb
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 203 of 688

I am leaving AARP and UHC because of this.  Active seniors are healthy seniors and cutting gym membership is counter-productive...except for stockholders, of course.  And executives.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 204 of 688

I called UHC today (1/3/19) to get the code needed to take advantage of the half price membership offer. I was told that the program is not yet set up and codes aren’t available. In addition, the letter I received in December listed 2 gyms I could join. One location has been closed for several years and the other gym gets bad reviews for lack of cleanliness.  Since  the local gym is unacceptable, my plan was to join a Y in a city I visit frequently that offers Silver Sneakers and then be able to use Y facilities when I travel.I was told that I had to use the code  in my local area and there is no Y in my area.  Just way too many hurdles.  Appears that UHC and AARP don’t have our best interests at heart.

Come on AARP, advocate for us as you are being paid to do and insist that UHC reinstate Silver Sneakers. There are other insurance companies out there and perhaps AARP should look into moving insureds to one of those. Otherwise individuals can do it for themselves and leave AARP behind.

Bottom line, Silver Sneakers offers many health advantages and discontinuing it is not in members best interests.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 205 of 688

Good idea.  It might be effective to print out your email and mail it to the AARP mailing address.  I don't have AARP's address offhand but I am sure it can be found online.  I think their headquarters are in Washington D.C.  Maybe going "old school" will make AARP sit up and take notice.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 206 of 688

As soon as I can secure another supplement I will cancel UHC.  Even if I never used Silver Sneakers it’s a slap in the face of each of us.  My wife has UHC through the state of NC and they did NOT lose Silver Sneakers.  Her premium is basically nothing each month and I pay $182.. Totally unbelievable.....

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 207 of 688
Agreed 100%. Let’s not allow UHC to rest one minute without bashing them and AARP.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 208 of 688

I felt like sending AARP an email about Silver Sneakers and UHC, so I did.  It's not perfect, but I think it gets the point accross. I wonder if I'll get some sort of response? Here's what I wrote:

"Your Continued association with United Health Care as they discontinue their involvement with the Silver Sneakers program goes against everything you stand for. You're supposed to stand up for us, not stand idly by while we lose benefits. Your formerly good name is inextricably connected to United Health Care while they act in their own interest instead of ours. Why did you allow this to happen? You had the power to say "NO!", but you remained silent. You could have reminded United Health Care that you can lend your name to whichever company you choose. But you remained silent. You and/or UHC thought you could placate those of us who value Silver Sneakers by offering us other choices, none of which is a reasonable alternative. That action suggests that you think we're not smart enough to see what's happening, which is insulting. Why do you insult your members? Have you been reading your own forums? There's quite a lot of activity there concerning this issue. Most people plan to switch away from UHC as soon as they're able. Not only that, but many people are so disappointed, or angry, with AARP, that they will be canceling their membership in your organization. I can't say that I blame them, as you have failed your fundamental purpose in your complacency on this issue. What do we need AARP for? We can lose benefits on our own without your "help". I suggest that you reconsider your actions, and reassert yourself. Each of your millions of members is an individual to whom you owe your best efforts. On this health care issue, you've let every one of your members down. Sincerely,(myself and my member number)"

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 209 of 688

I also just switched. As a healthy, active senior I enjoy and participate in Silver Slippers. I agree that we are the ones UHC would want to keep. My last employer had a similar health program to the one that UHC is now using--a bunch of resources that to me were useless. I will not renew my AARP membership either.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 210 of 688

I just switched away from UHC to another insurer.  Saved over 25$  I expect those healthy seniors the ones that UHC would want to keep will also do so.  As consumers when a company maintains a high price and then removes services like Silver Sneakers the smart move is to walk away.  Hear that AARP who is looking out for us  RIGHT?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users