Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 11 of 693

@TheodoreV321949 

AARP Services, Inc., founded in 1999, is a wholly owned taxable subsidiary of AARP that manages the range of products and services offered as benefits to members.
Parent Organization:  AARP
Subsidiary:  AARP Financials, Inc.

They do the picking and the choosing of benefits for the most part - they do the negotiations.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 693

United Health Care pays AARP a huge stipend each year.   It goes to say that it's not in AARPs' interest to negotiate with UHC.  One would think with over 38 million members there would be some sort of bargaining power.   

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 693

The American Association of RETIRED Persons, (AARP), has over 38 million members.   Its' mission is to "work to address the needs and interests of middle-aged and elderly people in the United States".   One would think with that kind of power AARP could negotiate lower rates and benefits with United Health Care, (UHC).  

Then one, digging deeper, would discover AARP receives a huge stipend fron UHC each year.   So much for addressing the needs of elderly people.

We are also led to believe that we will receive "special" rates from UHC, but only if we are members of AARP.   Shame on me for accepting this as true.    I found several insurance companies offering the same policies as UHC at much lower rates.  Unfortunately, like UHC, these companies only offer "Silver Sneakers",  as part of "Advantage" plans.  

Fortunately, I found a company that offers the exact plan I had with AARP/UHC plan at a MUCH lower monthly rate.  Silver Sneakers is not offered with this company.  The good news is that the savings on my premium was such that I could afford to pay my full monthly gym membership fee and still have extra dollars left!

By the way, I've also cancelled my AARP membership and joined another association for mature citizens.   Studying where AARP spends its' members money made that decision for me.

I wish you all well!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 14 of 693

I did not know till this morning that AARP dropped Silver Sneakers. We should be informed by mail before this happened. I go to 2 gyms and so far nobody has told me about this . Just waiting to see what happens but if I lose my memberships I will be very disappointed because as we get older we need the gyms,I can't afford to go if I lose thid

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 693

I am having a hard time getting my YMCA to accept the Renew Active plan. However, there are multiple YMCAs signed up in the near by communities that have signed up. They accepted this last year but are refusing it this year. I am currently being charged a monthly membership and have to pay for classes every 6 weeks which is getting very costly. Can someone Please tell me why a YMCA would refuse to sign up and if there is anything I can do? 

Thank you,

MJK

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 693

I also switched to Humana plan F, same benefits, real Silver Sneakers, and cost less. AARP is a ripoff company that takes money form seniors for-profit through advertising. Very disappointed in them for supporting UHC when they dropped Silver Sneakers. I had no issues with UHC and their medical insurance end, had them for over 15 years, but it was going to cost me over $250 for the Community Fitness Center just down the road. Unacceptable, now it is free with Humana Plan F and is costing me less.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 693

Kind of like closing the barn door after the horse left, isn't it? I went to Anthem and saved significant money in the process, so I guess I should thank AARP and UHC...but I won't be back. Now I know I can't trust them to do what's best for seniors, not their bottom line. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 693

What is now provided does me no good because the gyms only have bicycles and NO POOL. My Dr. has prescribed water exercise, which is often recommended for seniors, ie AARP members. I still feel AARP let us down!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 693
Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

=====================================================================

This thread started on 10/16/2017. People had time to find another insurance company.

So why do we have people still crying about it?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 693

I'm happy that UHC/AARP heard our voices and decided to add the free gym benefit similar to Silver Sneakers.  The big difference I see is that we only get ONE free gym membership whereas with Silver Sneakers, we could join multiple gyms (as long as they accept SS). This was handy for those snow birds who have a gym in say Florida and one at home in New York.  That did not affect me so I'm OK with just having my one gym membership here locally.

Just remember that there is no requirement to provide us with free gym membership and any insurance company can drop that benefit at any time.  So all of you who fled UHC/AARP to Blue Cross or others still run the risk of losing that benefit in the future, just like those of us who stayed  with UHC run the same risk.  At least alot of you got a cheaper premium when you moved-bonus!

Go forth and workout at your gym!!  🙂 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors