Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Regular Contributor

Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

I guess like all who have the "silver sneakers" card will become another worthless trash item.

United Health Care will discontinue your membership starting 1/1/18.

I am glad I went and purchased my own gym since but it is my guess that many others

do not have the money or the room for it like I do.

I had been using mine for treadmill and sauna during the cold times. the rest of the year i was

wlaking locally or golf course walking and swinging.

I think AARP might just search out another insurance company....as I might do on my own.....

Contributor

I too am very disappointed about AARP and UHC dropping the Silver Sneaker program. Having bad knees, the only exercise I can comfortably do is swim. The YMCA does not have a pool in my area. It has been a joy having 24 Hour Fitness and the Silver Sneakers program that has given me access to pools that otherewise,  I could not afford to go to. Sure wish UHC and AARP would reconsider this decision. Feeling very discouraged,

Contributor

My wife and I also are VERY disappointed that AARP/UHC are dropping silver sneakers.

With health care costs soaring it really seems that encouraging people to excersize and stay healthy would benefit everyone.

Humana  still includes  SLIPPERS !!     looking to switch plans..   united health  pays AARP   fees to advertise .. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Dear AARP, Frankly, I am astonished by your response. It was my understanding that AARP were advocates for Seniors, not UHC. This email says absolutely nothing about the concerns many of us have over this. By discontinuing the opportunity for millions of Americans to have access to a free fitness program in a local gym, you will in effect be cutting off the opportunity to stave off hundreds of diseases. It was AARP who previously argued how important physical exercise is for Seniors; that it controls Diabetes, Dementia, Parkinsons, Cardiovascular disease, Arthritis, etc. etc. Without free access to gyms, millions of Americans will be heading for disaster. Shame on you, AARP. It is hard to get many Americans to go to exercise. And by charging them the 50 percent to go to a fitness facility, UHC will be forcing them to pay and sum of money many of them can't afford for something they will not be motivated to do. It was the free aspect that motivated many of them. What, I can go to a gym for free? Let's go! Many a senior has thought this and improved their life through exercise. Silver Sneakers is such a wonderful program. How could you just let it go? And, come on now, do you really believe that watching videos and sitting immobile in front of a computer or TV to get information is anything but worthless to the health of seniors, as compared with actually getting out there to a gym? They may look at exercise videos, but most of them will not be motivated to get up and do them all alone in their own home. There's absolutely no motivation. Added to this, people are sick of watching a talking head telling them what to do. It can even undermine their desire to improve their health. There is no better motivation than going to a room dedicated to exercise that has other people like you exercising. I do not understand how you are allowing this to happen to a health plan that you partner with? It is difficult to see anything other answer than greed as a motivation for this new policy. If it is greed, I have a way to save you and the whole healthcare industry alot of money. Cut off the funds for the useless informational and exercise videos that involve just sitting inactive at a computer and send Seniors back to the free gyms!

Contributor

I agree with what everyone is saying.

My point is that AARP is receiving a portion of our premium from United Healthcare as compensation as Endorserer.  What is AARP using this money for?  I am sure that it is a signicant amount and should be used for those who are buying the supplement insurance and not AARP general budget.

What do you think?

Regular Contributor

For sure.  AARP is selling the right to use their name as an endorser.  What is most annoying is how AARP always portrays itself as being the hero fighting for seniors.  This is not the first thing that doesn't sound right.  I keep getting solicited by The Hartford Insurance Company which is endorsed by AARP.  Over the past 20 years I have called them twice to see what their rates are and they are three times as much as I am paying with my current insurance.  

AARP getiing to big  !!!!   Democrats    need more  $$$$  .  AARP big  donator>>>>

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Totally agree with you. Have not heard a peep from AARP.  Do they really care about overall Senior health or only the money?  We shall see. 

We will be looking into alternative insurance as well and not renew our AARP. 

We totally agree and are looking for another insurance provider and urging all our AARP friends to do the same.

same here tinley park,Il
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I just received a letter saying aarp united healthcare is dropping silversneaker

I am paying a high premium.  I will immediately change to another insurance that has this program

WHAT IS AARP DOING ABOUT THIS!! 

Shame on them for not fighting for this

benefit for seniors.  If this doesnโ€™t change I will no longer enroll in AARP

Jane 

Orange CT

Honored Social Butterfly

Many of the (state specific) prospectuses for 

AARP Medicare Supplement Plans insured by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company

Contain the following language when any of these (and other) EXTRA bendefits are covered -

SILVERSNEAKERSยฎ
AARP ยฎ VISION DISCOUNTS
NURSE HEALTHLINE

Disclaimer: 
These are additional insured member services apart from the AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan benefits, are not insurance programs, are subject to geographical availability, and may be discontinued at any time.

So make sure you read the small print especially for Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plans offered by any insurer.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The letter from AARP/UHC is a sham.  I'm in AZ, and one of the listed participating fitness centers, 

Curves, has closed most of it's fitness centers and will all be closed in AZ by the end of this year.

I approached the manager of my current fitness center with the SS termination letter and was told that AARP/UHC is asking the listed locations to provide a 50% discount but not providing any compensation to offset the retail rate. They have refused to offer any discount under this program.  I tried another listed provider and was told the same thing. 

The bottom line is that UHC is getting out of the fitness program and trying to force fitness centers to discount their prices to retain some members.  I've also been told that AARP might end it's endorsement of any Medicare plan and will be of no assistance in our plight.  This was a decision made by UHC and I doubt if complaining to AARP will make any difference. 

Contributor

I I use silver sneakers all the time also my husband very disappointed it will be canceled. Will be going elsewhere for insurance this october. No worry we will find someone who cares about us older ones. Shame on you. Good byyyyyy.

Regular Contributor

because of the ACA affordable care act, I believe all insurance companies have to provide the same benefits at the same costs. there are a few that add extras like the "silver sneakers" and or eye and dental. if usung a advantage plan some people near me have been getting prescriptions at the cost of the deducatble. funny thing is the drug costs less if cash. so check.

those that may want the silver sneakers you might see if the next insurer has it available next year. there is a open window coming up so you have the option to change insurers. it is my guess that NHC thinks most will be too lazy to change. but if you are on a short budget you might want to do that.

best to all!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Perhaps you can grandfather in people who are actually using Silver Sneakers since you say you are concerned that not many people use it. Those who do use it find it to be a great advantage to their health and no doubt, cuts down on medical expenses, which should greatly help United Health Care.

This is a shortsighted change and I believe will result in a loss of members and a change in providers.

Your assertion that anything you are doing to replace Silver Sneakers is an advantage or even a good deal is smoke and mirrors.

AARP is supposed to be looking out for seniors. There is a plan out there that would gladly accept the AARP endorsement that has Silver Sneakers. AARP is letting it's members down by staying in bed with UHC. AARP should be representing it's members, not bowing to the demands of an endorsed provider

AARP, you should be ashamed.

Contributor

I am now looking in to other supplemental plans since AARP has decided to drop silver sneakers.  Your letter letting everyone know about this was very deceptive.  You are not doing us a favor by giving us a 50% reduction at places that we often could join for free.  Our local YMCA are free with silver sneakers as is our local JCC.  Other plans offer silver sneakers and are the same price as AARP.  I thought you were working for, not against, seniors.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Well the UHC insured folks that I work out with at several gyms, are really upset. Those of us who seriously try to take care of our good health are being penalized and from UHCโ€™s perspective, the healthy ones may be leaving UHC and the โ€œnot so healthy onesโ€ will be their remaining insured. The UHC bean counters may be running the wrong numbers. And considering AARPโ€™s constant promotion of good senior health, I am surprised they continue to endorse UHC. Itโ€™s all about money, I suppose.

That said I suggest to all those that are affected and are seriously upset by UHC's decision to write  their congressmen. Perhaps with a little political pressure, and some from AARP, UHC may reconsider their rather poor decision.

Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

========================================================

Check into another insurance company...most states have more than one. In my small population state we have several companies to chose from.
Kid
0 Kudos

Very disappointed in this article.  Makes me concerned about maintaining my expensive F plan with United Healthcare.  Certainly there are other less expensive options.  I make extensive use of my Silver Sneakers option and don't want another "50% gym costs" added to my already expensive insurance costs.

Regular Contributor

I havenโ€™t seen a reply from an AARP representative explaining this decision. Do they still  endorse United Healthcare or are they looking into alternatives?  Are they listening?  Where are you AARP?  Do you really care about Seniors and their health?  We shall see........

Regular Contributor

I chose UHC over my husband's objections because I thought the AARP endorsement meant something. Plus, I could justify in my own mind paying a higher premium than he pays because I got a free membership to the local YMCA. I was impressed that UHC promoted wellness by giving members an incentive to exercise. Now they are taking that away and I see no reason not to switch to less expensive coverage. Perhaps I will apply the savings to purchasing more exercise DVDs to use at home. Very disappointed in AARP for not helping us keep this benefit!

Honored Social Butterfly

Eaamon posted..

I think AARP might just search out another insurance company....as I might do on my own.....

==================================================

We have Montana BC BS Medicare Advantage and they will continue to have "silver sneakers" in 2019.

We have Gym membership and I do not know of any classes.

The cost of our plan is going up 24%...from $61 a month to $85 a month. The good news is its covering Dental which they did not last year... Dental Services (Non Medicare covered Preventive) "In and Out of Network...You pay $0 copay for up to 2 oral exams per year. This includes up to cleanings a year and 1 X-ray per year".
Kid
Regular Contributor

I don't think AARP will do anything.  United Health Care has cut this program in other states in the past and AARP didn't care.  Silver Sneakers hasn't been offered in all 50 states in quite some time via UHC.  They are just finishing off what was already started.

I see my primary care doc next week and intend to ask which insurance company in  CA that he thinks is best.  Between him and his billing lady, I should walk out with some good suggestions.  I already have an enrollment appt to make the change.

Good luck to you.  I envy your monthly costs - CA is so darn expensive!

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

I am also upset. Tried sending emails. Not only is the cost going up, the locations are extremely limited. I feel we have been betrayed by AARP who claims to be the seniors advocate.  They are willing to sponsor United Healthcare regardless of the negative impact of discontinuing SilverSneakers. The programs being substituted are neither convenient nor affordable. 

0 Kudos

Why did you drop silver sneakers this was so great for us seniors most of us canโ€™t afford to buy a membership and have more monthly fees .AARP United health I have always raved about you to others to whom did not gave AARP United Health and have had most of them change . So Iโ€™m so sad I will not be able to continue going to the gym yet you want us to stay healthy well this is how we are able to stay healthy. 

Thank you

Donna Sherman

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Roxanne when you get the recommendations for CA insurance with SS, please share with the group!

Thanks, Chris

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am joining the chorus for those calling for AARP to stop this plan by United Healthcare to dump Silver Sneakers.  Having to pay 50% to stay in my gym will cost an additional $300 per year on top of the increase United Healthcare has already announced for premiums.  I have contacted Silver Sneakers which gave me a list of other supplemental insurance companies that are continuing to offer Silver Sneakers (here in California that includes Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of CAlifornia, Care First, Humana, and Scan).  Come on AARP, you're suppose to be fighting for us.  Don't let United Healthcare get away with this ... or I, and I am sure a lot of others, will dump you just like you plan to do with Silver Sneakers.  There are too many other insurers who obviously care more about preventative health than United Healthcare.

It doesn't appear that all "F" plans are losing this benefit -- shame on United Health Care!  They market with attractive benefits and rates, and then reduce the benefits and consistently raise rates.  AARP needs to re-think their branding and providing Good Housekeeping seal to UHC.  I plan to contact AARP to register a complaint.  

Contributor

I absolutely agree. I have been a member at our local Wellness Center for many years, and now with yet another premium rate increase for 2019, higher drug prices and just about everything else, I may have to discontinue my membership.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP