Highlighted

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 1 of 694

That is NOT a 'Congressional Report' - the voice of two Republican congressmen. I've no dog in this fight, but it is getting so tiring to login somewhere and find some link to a janky document purported to be factual, but when examined, is nothing more than a screed pushing another lame 'alternative fact'

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 694

@VivianR375175 wrote:
After reading this I WON'T choose United Health!! I may not get a great insurance company with the one I choose, either, but this was just wrong. I hear the rates REALLY go up, too.

If you had to choose now, which Plan G Medigap company would you choose (NC). I have my own gym and will use it, but to promise and then remove.... 😞

ALWAYS remember that ANY health insurance policy is a contractual agreement with a start date and end date specified but even then there may be a clause as to certain specified things that can change more often per the contract.

You have certain government (state and federal) protections with Medigap plans because CERTAIN stipulations are defined specifically by those government entities - anything outside of these is subject to the will of the insurance provider. 

Federal government (CMS) defines the benefits in each of the Medigap plans, insurers options on rating methods..  State government may give other specifics on IF and when a person can change plans, how long a specific pre-existing condition may be excluded in any newly changed policy,   State government may also give rules to the insurers on IF and when a Medigap policy may be offered to those under 65 years old as in the case of a disabled person going on Medicare after their 24 month wait period.

These are the ONLY things which each of the Medigap plans HAVE to cover -

Medicare.gov - How to Compare Medigap Policies 

For any additional service or benefit, understand that those are not mandated and could possibly be just a marketing ploy to set themselves apart from others offering the same Medigap plans.

The rule of thumb for any health insurance policy is to READ the policy and understand it.  It is a contract - same as a homeowners or auto insurance policy or any other.  Understand what is a contractual agreement and what is just a periodic add-on that could be stopped (or started) at the will of the insurance provider.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 3 of 694

Opps! Forgot to say I went with Anthem and thus far, good service!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 4 of 694

Good for you! I live in Ohio and left UHC over 2 years ago due to this, went with Anthem...and never looked back. They were cheaper to begin with, didn't raise their rates by near as much the next year, gave me Silver Sneakers as part of the deal AND I don't have to belong to AARP if I don't want to. They keep sending me offers to rejoin. NO WAY!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 5 of 694

I switched to Humana Supplemental (Plan G) and get SilverSneakers free again at the gym I work out at.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 6 of 694
After reading this I WON'T choose United Health!! I may not get a great insurance company with the one I choose, either, but this was just wrong. I hear the rates REALLY go up, too.

If you had to choose now, which Plan G Medigap company would you choose (NC). I have my own gym and will use it, but to promise and then remove.... 😞
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 7 of 694

I'm glad you can use Renew at your current health club. Unfortunately, the health club that I've been going to for over 30 years only participates in Silver Sneakers, NOT Renew. I tried LA Fitness by me using Renew, but still liked my health club better. Plus, LA Fitness was 30 minutes away, mine 5 min. So I left AARP/UHC's supplemental plan and now have a Humana Supplement Plan which offers Silver Sneakers so I can continue to work out at my preferred health club.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 8 of 694

This post is an update to the experience my spouse and I had over the Silver Sneakers debacle with AARP/UHC Medicare Supplement Plan (not Advantage plans!).  We complained vehemently to AARP when the change was made last year to drop the Silver Sneakers benefit to LA Fitness, a gym we have used for several years.  We decided to ride out the change--we paid our $22 per month per person for the year 2019 for our continued gym memberships and hoped that our voices had been heard by those in power in AARP along with maintaining our Supplement Plan with AARP/UHC.  We were very happy to see the change in Renew Active for 2020!  The management with LA Fitness was most cooperative in setting a plan to cancel our contracts, apply our last month fees, and start the new membership under Renew Active with LA Fitness.  We have experienced zero problems. The transition was smooth and easy and we have very positive feelings regarding what transpired.  We believe that AARP listens.  But as any other big organization, it takes time for them to act once the voices are heard. Yes, our Medicare Supplement Plan dues increased.  Yes, we know that AARP is paid by vendors in exchange for the opportunity to have our business.  Yes, AARP is a business.  However, if a member has a grievance, it pays to make your position heard in a positive fashion. AARP works a lot better than the governmental garbage we are seeing on television now.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 9 of 694

The following link is to an official Congressional investigation report completed in 2011 and explains a lot, most likely this link will be removed before much time passes. AARP is not what they seem.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/1446464/aarp-report-final-pdf-3-29-11

aarp-report-final-pdf-3-29-11.jpg

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 10 of 694

"We've gotta protect our phony baloney jobs!".............the governor, Blazing Saddles

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users