Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 11 of 651

It would be good news if UHC saw the light and again provides the gym membership benefits they promoted to get customers to choose their plan, just before dropping the benefits.  That said, after checking the Renew Active gym participants list, the nearest one to us is over 40 miles away now.  When we chose the plan, our local fitness center had just completed registering with Silver Sneakers.  They indicated that they could not afford to participate with UHC’s changed program, which occurred shortly after, because the contract would be detrimental to their costs.  Hope that all changes for 2020. Still very disappointed in UHC’s deceptive marketing practices.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 651
You are indeed fortunate, as the AARP/UHC enrollment forms require an active AARP membership number.  

However just maybe, as you posted earlier, there is hope on the horizon for Medigap/Supplemental insurance plan members.  Currently 'Renew  Active' is only for Advantage plan members, but United Healthcare is purportedly offering it as part of the 'At Your Best By UnitedHealthcare' starting January 2020.  Whereas their customer service representatives are not yet aware of this, the sales person I spoke with was able to pull up some preliminary information to indicate it's really going to happen.  If 'Renew Active' becomes available for Supplemental Plans, it will include almost all of the facilities that where available under the 'Silver Sneakers' program.  And you can access multiple gyms.  If true, kudos to AARP/UHC.     
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 651

My AARP UHC Supplemental F is offered through my pension fund (retired teacher) and they do not require us to be AARP members. I never joined, was somehow given a membership for 6 months of last year (that's when i turned 65 and started the new plans), but I was dunned to re-up (pay) this year and didn't. My insurance is still valid. None of our annual enrollment handbooks specify having to join AARP to enroll in AARP UHC plan F

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 651

p.s. i forgot to mention that starting this january 1, 2020, my aarp/united healthcare supplement plan f will pay for all of my gym membership.  so starting then my fitness center will be free!  of course i'm even more grateful to have this improved benefit.  btw, i'm in california

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 651

none of the insurance plans i have had in the past have had any kind of gym membership benefit.  i didn't even know about silver sneakers until i got a letter from aarp that it was being dropped as of this past january 1, 2019.  so my gym dropped out of the silver sneakers program.  in its place i'm paying 1/2 of the normal gym membership fee which makes me very happy.  also, i thoroughly researched premiums for plan f with many other insurance providers and aarp was the lowest by around $40+/month.  of course each situation is different, but having not had access to any gyms nor any other benefits (free wellness coaching, for instance, offered by united) i am very thankful that these are available to me now

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 651

If you read my posts I am only speaking about Supplemental Plans and claimed no knowlege of Advantage Plans since I have never used them. My independent agents told me years ago to stick with the Supplemental Plans as long as I could afford them.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 651

We should all drop AARP until United brings back Silver S eskers!

i already left United!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 651

If Renew Active becomes available for Medigap policies in January it will be a complete surprise.  Both for me and for the UHC service representatives that I have spoken to. Never one to believe in the 'tooth fairy', but I will explore this further before I switch this October. 

Unfortunately, 'At Your Best' is not free, very limited and appears to be another sham. See below: 

Program Summary

The At Your Best program is currently being offered to plan holders of an AARP Medicare Supplement Plan insured by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company.

Membership Details

• The program provides general access to facilities and waives the enrollment fee for eligible members. 
  • The At Your Best member pays Snap Fitness monthly membership rate of 50% of the retail rate that would be normally charged. This includes new as well as existing members of Snap Fitness. 
  • Optum pays Snap Fitness the remaining 50% of the retail rate if the At Your Best member visits Snapfitness 4 or more times within the calendar month.
  • You may charge to such member a one-time access card fee of the lesser of (i) $20.00 OR (ii) your normal access card fee if such fee is less than $20.00.

Fitware Sign Up Instructions

You will enter this member as a Single–Reciprocal member with dues set to your full regular rate. We have created a group within Fitware labelled At Your Best which will discount your member’s monthly rate by 50% when billing is run.

This program requires the membership to be Single-Reciprocal, no prepaid memberships. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 651

@goliath wrote:

. . . . and remember they are AARP endorsed and you have to have an AARP membership to enroll. Just sayin'...

You have to be a member for access to an AARP endorsed Medigap plan (Supplemental) but NOT for an AARP endorsed Medicare Advantage plan.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 651

I'd really be interested in knowing how many members UHC lost in the last two years when they decided SS was so popular they should offer their own program for a 50% discount (because there was more money to make off their subscribers) instead of for free like they had been doing. I know they lost quite a few- to the point that now they are offering it for FREE... I'm assuming to retain the members they have... and remember they are AARP endorsed and you have to have an AARP membership to enroll. Just sayin'...

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season