Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 41 of 651

The letter I received back in February called their program "HealthYourWay.com" This is the trickery these places employ, keep changing names so consumers don't know what they are getting. Or not getting.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 651

I gave up on AARP/UHC months ago and went with a high deductible plan from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The cost of the AARP Plan F was skyrocketing and is projected to do so far into the future. That is because new entrants into Medicare are not allowed to sign up for it so the pool of participants will be just the aging population and not offset by younger, healthier people. The substantial money I save will fund a reserve to cover the deductible if necessary, pay for a membership to a health club close to me and have some left over. I talked with the people who handle insurance at my doctor's office and they said BC/BS is a good insurance company. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 651

UHC did this in Ohio about a year and a half ago. RetireMED®iQ, an independent health plan advisory service, negotiated with Anthem and was able to offer a cheaper plan with the same coverage, that included Silver Sneakers. UHC wanted it's subscribers to pay for it's "new improved plan" that included a few gyms. (Translation: more profit for them.) There was no improvement for the consumers. I have been VERY happy with Anthem and glad I moved. There were also several other plans that picked up Silver Sneakers. My friend took one of those and is also pleased. If you have an advisory health plan service in your area, they can help you at no charge (at least they do in Ohio). You  might also look thru the archived posts here, as there was a great deal of information provided in the posts back then and some of those posts, I believe, were from California. That was in the Fall of 2017 throughout 2018. You also aren't required to join AARP with these other plans.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 651

They already have a free heath care service offering gym memberships. It's called Renew and it replaces Silver Sneakers. The problem is that this program doesn't include as many health clubs as the Silver Sneakers program they had before. I signed up with a health club that participates in Renew, but it was much further away from my home. Also, I heard that at some club the Renew program only discounted your membership, rather than being free. So I'll be curious what they will be offering come January 2020. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 651

I received the same notice and called the # to see what gyms will be included in my area.  After waiting on hold for 30 minutes I gave up.  I'll find out later.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 651

I just received notice from AARP/UHC that coming January 1, 2020 they will be offering, at no cost to us, new health care services including participating gyms and fitness centers. I live in Arizona and have their Medicare supplement plan. You can go to AARP website to check it out.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 651

I live in Chicago so unfortunately, I can't help you. The agent/advisor I went to was recommended by a friend so I'm not sure where she found him or how. Sorry I couldn't offer more help. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 651

Where can I find an agent in the East Bay, California area.    How did you locate someone that you can trust?

I could have used Silver Sneakers for the last four years and didn't.    Now I need it and it's gone.   With the price we are paying AARP/UHC I cannot believe that they took that benefit away.

Tks for any assistance!

H.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 49 of 651

I also resent UnitedHealthcare for being so non-transparent about eliminating SS. I suspected something last fall and called them several times asking what was going on with SS. They acted like they didn't know anything yet. They just said they were calling it Renew. Not until I RENEWED with them did I find out that they dropped SS. Very dishonest of them! Thankfully, I found out that I had until the end of March to switch plans so that's what I did!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 651

My reply was directed towards a poster who is in Illinois, as am I. That posting chain of connectivity was lost. 

You are, of course, correct that every state is different, with their own laws written by their own legislatures. I think many people do not realize that and assume that various postings here and on the internet apply to everyone.

I also will never enroll in an "Advantage" plan. Not right for me. I like the docs I have.

From what I have been able to discern (yeah, from the internet, and maybe Illinois), it is only Advantage that has the annual enrollment period. After your first enrollment in Supplemental/"Medigap", changing plans requires going through underwriting, regardless of birthday or annual period. Maybe that varies by state or the posting I came across is wrong. The source appeared authoritative. I went through underwriting which took a couple weeks, but passed.

My health club of choice is the YMCA. It appears they have dropped Silver Sneakers entirely. At least overall. HOWEVER, I was never able to get a straight answer out of any of those people, local or regional. Wretched communication. SS website only shows one YMCA in the entire Chicago metro area - not the one I use. Why the one? IDNK.

From my own ordeal with this and from reading other postings, I am reluctantly convinced that people should at least talk to an agent. This whole thing is confusing and internet postings are not reliable because, again, each state is different. And every situation is different. And too many people don't know what they are talking about.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors