Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 11 of 603

I switched also, to Humana Supplemental G, and I'm all set to go to my favorite health club!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 603

I did - changed my plan to Humana- you can change C-F  supplemental providers at any time. LA Fitness her i come Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 603

aarp should be ashamed to be depriving people of gyms and fitness programs and then lying about

replacing the plan

let's protest

everybody call today

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 14 of 603

If you have a Medicare Advantage plan, you have until March 31st to switch.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 603

Fit50 is a ripoff it costs 39 bucks monthly. Just another way to squeeze more money out of you while providing less service. I will be switching health plans next year

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 603

Fit50 is a ripoff it costs 39 bucks monthly. Just another way to squeeze more money out of you while providing less service. I will be switching health plans next year

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 603

Medicare plans change by state.

Silver Sneakers has a icon for Health Plan Partners and Ohio has 16 partners.

Anthem medigap/supplement is cheaper than AARP.  Alot depends on which Medigap Plan.  F is becoming much more expensive because it is being discontinued for new seniors. AARP is usually more expensive because UHC pays AARP 5% commission.

Some YMCA's do not accept Silver Sneakers or have weird policies for their 'home' YMCA.

In Ohio wife and I saved about $8 to $12 per month each going from AARP to another company that has silver sneakers.

Again.  All medigap/supplement plans are secondary to medicare primary and just pay the percentage that medicare does not.  So 1 company is not really any better than another.  Premier health network in ohio for a period did Not accept UHC or AARP UHC advantage plan.  Since medicare was primary for the AARP supplement plan, it was accepted.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 603

1. Never heard of this "Fit50". The letter I received from AARP/UHC calls their New and Improved plan "HealthYourWay.com" It offers 50% off membership at "participating" health clubs including YMCA's. However, there are apparently NO global agreements with club networks. AARP wants US to go out and sell their program to individual clubs. My local Y never heard of it and said, effectively, pay uo or you are out.

2. I had checked the Silver Sneakers link of eligible health plans and - there is a HUGE catch (Surprise!). For Blue Cross, only their Advantage plans are eligible. NOT the Medigap plans. The eligible Medigap plans of other insurers were WAY more expensive than even AARP/UHC.

3. YMCA appears to be dropping Silver Sneakers entirely. I suspect it was AARP/UHC that was the major supporter of it, and financial backer.

4. It has been nearly impossible to get reliable, accurate information about what is going on anywhere, from anyone. People either don't know what they are talking about or are being devious.

5. Situations in your particular geographic area may be different. Medicare supplemental plans are all different, depending on the state. Health clubs may be the same way. YMCA's are organized into regions which appear to be autonomous is setting policy. Those in my metro region do not appear to have any senior discounts. You will need to research your own situation. And do NOT rely on what just one person tells you. Multiple sources and get it in clear writing.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 603

Okay, this is all very wierd. I belong to LA Ftiness in Chicago, and there were signs saying that SS was being cancelled, due to change with UHC/AARP. I watched a line of people being told this. An email to AARP brought forth a response: cannnot answere with the information you provided. Then a search on the AARP website said somthing about Fit50? Anyone had the chance to check this out as an option?

Some tooling about on the net brought this: https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans?state=IL

This NPR article seems to give the most information: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/12/04/673249571/unitedhealthcare-customers-are-unhapp...

Hope this helps!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 603

Read some of the back posts for lots of information. Many of the Medigap policies provide SS and with those policies you can see any doc that accepts medicare. In my opinion, if you can afford them, they are much easier to use and there are no surprises about what you'll be paying/ or denials if you need medical care.

Kudos
Views