Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 31 of 603

Just joined AARP for the purpose of using UHC as my supplemental, only to discover that Silver Sneakers was discontinued.  Disappointing.  Fortunately, I found this forum first before signing up.  UHC has now lost me as a potential customer and I will just let AARP expire in a year.  There are other insurance companies that still offer SS.  Besides, there are already too many ads from AARP trying to separate me and my hard earned money, some of dubious value or savings.  Thanks all for your insights.  This helped me from making a mistake. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 603

I would love to know who exactly made this decision   I’m sure UHC intends to profit in some way and estimates of those future profits were presented to management. I would assume they would have estimated the loss UHC would incur due to this business decision. Not only those people who will get rid of UHC ASAP but future signups. Finally this UHC decision most likely drives the healthiest people out of their plans

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 603

Not only is there more mail from AARP trying to sell stuff and to “remind” me of all of the benefits of belonging, there is also an email and snail mail deluge from United Healthcare touting their so-called ‘great new Health and Wellness program’  WHAT A CROCK OF ..........

In no way is HealthYourWay an acceptable replacement for Silver Sneakers - my birthday is coming up in July and it will be time to leave both UHC and AARP.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 603

Have any of you who have posted to this thread seen a major increase in "offers" from AARP via e-mail?  I'm getting a lot of e-mail from AARP.  Of course none of the "offers" are of interest to me, but it looks like someone is tracking who is posting and using this info to mount a marketing campaign designed to tell us how wonderful AARP is!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 603

Renew active...what a joke.  Instead of helping pay our exercize expenses, we get another glossy, coffee table magazine with pictures of other people(models) exercizing.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 603

I totally agree that AARp seems to be doing a bait and switch ad.  We were told when we moved to this area we would have Silver Sneakers...We go to our local Y, and they tell us United Healthcare has dropped the program.  Now we get this nice glossy Renew magazine where we can watch other seniors exercizing, instead of exercizing ourselves!!Big woop!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 603

@sf2889546 wrote:

I will definitely look next year to another plan that has it, I feel that we've been snookered and I will also not renew my AARP membership after it expires.

If your live in a state that has the "Birthday Rule" or some other special condition that forces you to wait til the month of December for your best results, Fine  But if not, you don't have to wait - you can switch Medigap plan anytime but you might have to go through underwriting.

Medicare.gov - Switching Medigap Policies

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 603

Well, not a happy camper here. I've been with United Healthcare since 2014 and have used Silver Sneakers several times a week. When I signed up again in December, I was assured by the representative that I would retain it. Needless to say, I walked into my LA Fitness today and they told me my membership was canceled. I have a supplement plan F, so it is not one of the cheaper plans. I will definitely look next year to another plan that has it, I feel that we've been snookered and I will also not renew my AARP membership after it expires. Now they even back door you when you try to remain healthy. Certainly not a fan anymore. This is a total failure to your loyal members.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 603

If you have a Supplement Plan, and you live in a state where some of the other supplement plans offer silver sneakers you can change now. I switched to Humana supplement F plan (in Arizona). It is $20 cheaper a month and it includes silver sneakers. It is the exact same F Supplement coverage Plus silver sneakers.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 603

I did not receive ANY communication from AARP that it was dropping Silver Sneakers. I only started looking into this because this week (Feb. 6, 2019) I received a letter from my local YMCA informing me that my SS membership was being cancelled! The excuse they gave was gibberish, implying that SS had changed reimbursement. There was no mention of AARP or United Healthcare.

I did receive a letter two days earlier from AARP carrying on about its "HealthYourWay.com" website, but never said anything about SS so I didn't bother with it.  It claims 50% off "participating" YMCAs and fitness centers. But the website does not show a list of them! Looks spotty and very vague.

The rates on my AARP medigap plan have gone up 41% since 2014. So now I have more 2019 ToDo's: A new health plan, new health club and not renewing AARP membership.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors