Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 71 of 639

Renew active...what a joke.  Instead of helping pay our exercize expenses, we get another glossy, coffee table magazine with pictures of other people(models) exercizing.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 639

I totally agree that AARp seems to be doing a bait and switch ad.  We were told when we moved to this area we would have Silver Sneakers...We go to our local Y, and they tell us United Healthcare has dropped the program.  Now we get this nice glossy Renew magazine where we can watch other seniors exercizing, instead of exercizing ourselves!!Big woop!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 639

@sf2889546 wrote:

I will definitely look next year to another plan that has it, I feel that we've been snookered and I will also not renew my AARP membership after it expires.

If your live in a state that has the "Birthday Rule" or some other special condition that forces you to wait til the month of December for your best results, Fine  But if not, you don't have to wait - you can switch Medigap plan anytime but you might have to go through underwriting.

Medicare.gov - Switching Medigap Policies

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 639

Well, not a happy camper here. I've been with United Healthcare since 2014 and have used Silver Sneakers several times a week. When I signed up again in December, I was assured by the representative that I would retain it. Needless to say, I walked into my LA Fitness today and they told me my membership was canceled. I have a supplement plan F, so it is not one of the cheaper plans. I will definitely look next year to another plan that has it, I feel that we've been snookered and I will also not renew my AARP membership after it expires. Now they even back door you when you try to remain healthy. Certainly not a fan anymore. This is a total failure to your loyal members.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 639

If you have a Supplement Plan, and you live in a state where some of the other supplement plans offer silver sneakers you can change now. I switched to Humana supplement F plan (in Arizona). It is $20 cheaper a month and it includes silver sneakers. It is the exact same F Supplement coverage Plus silver sneakers.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 639

I did not receive ANY communication from AARP that it was dropping Silver Sneakers. I only started looking into this because this week (Feb. 6, 2019) I received a letter from my local YMCA informing me that my SS membership was being cancelled! The excuse they gave was gibberish, implying that SS had changed reimbursement. There was no mention of AARP or United Healthcare.

I did receive a letter two days earlier from AARP carrying on about its "HealthYourWay.com" website, but never said anything about SS so I didn't bother with it.  It claims 50% off "participating" YMCAs and fitness centers. But the website does not show a list of them! Looks spotty and very vague.

The rates on my AARP medigap plan have gone up 41% since 2014. So now I have more 2019 ToDo's: A new health plan, new health club and not renewing AARP membership.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 639

If it truly is a Medicare Supplement plan that you have, you can change it any time during the year, there is no open enrolment period for Supplements.

Medicare Advantage has a once-per-year Annual Election Period, but now there is another Open Enrollment period through March where you can change plans. Happy to help if you reach out.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 639

This is the second year that I have been rolled in united healthcare AARP insurance.   I was very happy that they insurance included silver sneakers which I made you serve weekly at my local YMCA. When it came time to re-enroll in insurance for this next year I made sure to find out if Silver Sneakers would be included. The answer we received was that there would be a program similar to Silver Sneakers but called something different. In December after the enrollment. Had ended we received a letter informing us that silver sneakers would not be included. Additionally the new plan would require us to pay for half a membership fee. It was now too late for me to change my insurance. Since Silver Sneakers is important to me I would have changed my insurance so that I continued to receive Silver Sneakers.  Providing his information after the enrollment deadline is dishonest at best and has seriously impacted The positive feelings that I had about my United Healthcare/AARP Supplement Insurance. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 639

No more Silver Sneakers.

This is a joke. I used four different fitness cemters depending upon work, home, etc. One of the main reasons I chose UNITED HEATH CARE was for the Silver Sneakers program. If I had to belong to four gyms, even at half price, it would be cost prohibitive for me.

Unbelievable. I guess that is what our world has evolved to.........all about maximizing the wealth of the shareholders.

Really ugly AARP. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 639

You have made a serious and probably financially disastrous mistake and I shall surely change my AARP United Health Care Medicare Complete Health Insurance Plan as soon as I am legally able to do so.  You say that WELLNESS is your goal yet do not provide this absolutely wonderful way for us to stay fit.  Lots of other insurances do and believe me, thousands of your subscribers will switch because of this stupid decision.  I am appalled and tremendously disappointed.  Dr. Rosalie G. Riegle

Kudos
Views