Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 41 of 603

If it truly is a Medicare Supplement plan that you have, you can change it any time during the year, there is no open enrolment period for Supplements.

Medicare Advantage has a once-per-year Annual Election Period, but now there is another Open Enrollment period through March where you can change plans. Happy to help if you reach out.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 603

This is the second year that I have been rolled in united healthcare AARP insurance.   I was very happy that they insurance included silver sneakers which I made you serve weekly at my local YMCA. When it came time to re-enroll in insurance for this next year I made sure to find out if Silver Sneakers would be included. The answer we received was that there would be a program similar to Silver Sneakers but called something different. In December after the enrollment. Had ended we received a letter informing us that silver sneakers would not be included. Additionally the new plan would require us to pay for half a membership fee. It was now too late for me to change my insurance. Since Silver Sneakers is important to me I would have changed my insurance so that I continued to receive Silver Sneakers.  Providing his information after the enrollment deadline is dishonest at best and has seriously impacted The positive feelings that I had about my United Healthcare/AARP Supplement Insurance. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 603

No more Silver Sneakers.

This is a joke. I used four different fitness cemters depending upon work, home, etc. One of the main reasons I chose UNITED HEATH CARE was for the Silver Sneakers program. If I had to belong to four gyms, even at half price, it would be cost prohibitive for me.

Unbelievable. I guess that is what our world has evolved to.........all about maximizing the wealth of the shareholders.

Really ugly AARP. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 603

You have made a serious and probably financially disastrous mistake and I shall surely change my AARP United Health Care Medicare Complete Health Insurance Plan as soon as I am legally able to do so.  You say that WELLNESS is your goal yet do not provide this absolutely wonderful way for us to stay fit.  Lots of other insurances do and believe me, thousands of your subscribers will switch because of this stupid decision.  I am appalled and tremendously disappointed.  Dr. Rosalie G. Riegle

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 603

You know AARP I'm really disgusted and angered how dare you take away the silver sneakers benefit. often I look at our government especially the White House and I just see how what a joke we have become and how disgusted I am and how things have turned out and now I'm having the same thoughts about AARP. What say you!!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 603

Discontinuing the Silver Sneakers benefit without prior timely notification may not be illegal but it is certainly unethical. I am surprised that AARP would allow themselves to be a party to this type of crass business practice. I expect the blow back will overwhelm any temporary monetary benefit to United and AARP. It certainly removed any misconception I had that AARP was some kind of altruistic organization that was primarily interested in the well-being of seniors rather than making a buck. I am left wondering when I will ever outgrow my naiviety in believing that such an organization actual exists.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 603

I have the Medicare Advantage plan through United/AARP.  While Silver Sneakers is no longer offered as a benefit in 2019, an alternative is: "Renew Active."  It probably saves United Healthcare money, because they appear to own Renew Active; however, my current gym preferences are on the list, so it's not a problem on my particular plan.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 603

So I joined AARP because the UHC plan was cheaper for AARP members.   Looks to me like UHC pushed back about the lower rates and between the 2 of them they concocted this deal.  UHC lowers the deal total cost and AARP can still claim they are providing a "deal" to their members, albeit only for Advntage plans.  The cost of the gap policy now includes the health club dues we have to pay.  I would have considered other plans not tethered to AARP but included SS.   The fact that this happened without any warning and after we made our plan selection surely makes this whole thing more fishy.  BIG disappointment.  This is what happens when the financial types control the wheels of power.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 603

I wholeheartedly support what this review reflects.

Dropping the Silver Sneakers(NOT informed until after open enrollment closed) is a major blunder.

I guess the CEO of UNITED HEALTH CARE needed a pay raise!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AARP I almost took the Dental plan but then saw how many NEGATIVE comments you had for that plan.

Similar comments now on the United/Silver Sneakers plan. AARP what ARE you doing for the retired? NOT MUCH so far as I can tell. I will not be renewing my AARP, it just isnt worth it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 603

@CarolB353362 wrote:

After much confusion, I discovered that certain states, including some PA plans are still carrying Silver Sneakers.  The real frustration was when I called AARP (# on the back of my card), I was told Silver Sneakers was being dropped.  My rep however told me we still had Silver Sneakers and didn't understand AARP telling me a different story. Everyone was very confused. Turns out I still do have Silver Sneakers.  AARP, please get your act together! Wondering what will happen in 2020. Carol

Actually, Carol, this move by United Healthcare (AARP branded Medicare plans) has been going on for a couple of years.  They are doing it state by state as they set up their new ReNew Active (formerly Optum Fitness Advantage) for their Medicare Advantage customers in those states and their Health Your Way plans for their Medicare Supplemental plans.

This is from 2017 -

November 06, 2017 - Star Tribune Business Report - UnitedHealth Group enters senior fitness market r...

Then in the fall of 2018, more states were added:

December 04, 2018 - NPR - UnitedHealthcare Customers Are Unhappy About Cuts To SilverSneakers Fitnes...

per this link ~

A controversial business decision by UnitedHealthcare, the nation's largest health insurance carrier, is causing the disruption. As of Jan. 1, (2019) the company is dropping SilverSneakers — an optional benefit — for 1.2 million customers with Medicare Advantage plans in 11 states (California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina and Utah) as well as 1.3 million customers with Medicare supplemental (Medigap) insurance in nine states (Arizona, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, North Carolina, Ohio, Utah and Wisconsin).

Unless UHC changes their mind - I wouldn't get too comfortable with that PA. AARP/UHC plan with SilverSneakers - especially if it is a Supplemental (Medigap) plan because there should be a disclosure in your policy stating that any "extra" benefits can be changed or dropped at anytime by the insurer. 

For a Medicare Advantage plan, it has to be reupped each year so plans can change from year to year.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors