Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 111 of 666

So I joined AARP because the UHC plan was cheaper for AARP members.   Looks to me like UHC pushed back about the lower rates and between the 2 of them they concocted this deal.  UHC lowers the deal total cost and AARP can still claim they are providing a "deal" to their members, albeit only for Advntage plans.  The cost of the gap policy now includes the health club dues we have to pay.  I would have considered other plans not tethered to AARP but included SS.   The fact that this happened without any warning and after we made our plan selection surely makes this whole thing more fishy.  BIG disappointment.  This is what happens when the financial types control the wheels of power.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 112 of 666

I wholeheartedly support what this review reflects.

Dropping the Silver Sneakers(NOT informed until after open enrollment closed) is a major blunder.

I guess the CEO of UNITED HEALTH CARE needed a pay raise!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AARP I almost took the Dental plan but then saw how many NEGATIVE comments you had for that plan.

Similar comments now on the United/Silver Sneakers plan. AARP what ARE you doing for the retired? NOT MUCH so far as I can tell. I will not be renewing my AARP, it just isnt worth it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 113 of 666

@CarolB353362 wrote:

After much confusion, I discovered that certain states, including some PA plans are still carrying Silver Sneakers.  The real frustration was when I called AARP (# on the back of my card), I was told Silver Sneakers was being dropped.  My rep however told me we still had Silver Sneakers and didn't understand AARP telling me a different story. Everyone was very confused. Turns out I still do have Silver Sneakers.  AARP, please get your act together! Wondering what will happen in 2020. Carol

Actually, Carol, this move by United Healthcare (AARP branded Medicare plans) has been going on for a couple of years.  They are doing it state by state as they set up their new ReNew Active (formerly Optum Fitness Advantage) for their Medicare Advantage customers in those states and their Health Your Way plans for their Medicare Supplemental plans.

This is from 2017 -

November 06, 2017 - Star Tribune Business Report - UnitedHealth Group enters senior fitness market r...

Then in the fall of 2018, more states were added:

December 04, 2018 - NPR - UnitedHealthcare Customers Are Unhappy About Cuts To SilverSneakers Fitnes...

per this link ~

A controversial business decision by UnitedHealthcare, the nation's largest health insurance carrier, is causing the disruption. As of Jan. 1, (2019) the company is dropping SilverSneakers — an optional benefit — for 1.2 million customers with Medicare Advantage plans in 11 states (California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina and Utah) as well as 1.3 million customers with Medicare supplemental (Medigap) insurance in nine states (Arizona, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, North Carolina, Ohio, Utah and Wisconsin).

Unless UHC changes their mind - I wouldn't get too comfortable with that PA. AARP/UHC plan with SilverSneakers - especially if it is a Supplemental (Medigap) plan because there should be a disclosure in your policy stating that any "extra" benefits can be changed or dropped at anytime by the insurer. 

For a Medicare Advantage plan, it has to be reupped each year so plans can change from year to year.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 114 of 666

After much confusion, I discovered that certain states, including some PA plans are still carrying Silver Sneakers.  The real frustration was when I called AARP (# on the back of my card), I was told Silver Sneakers was being dropped.  My rep however told me we still had Silver Sneakers and didn't understand AARP telling me a different story. Everyone was very confused. Turns out I still do have Silver Sneakers.  AARP, please get your act together! Wondering what will happen in 2020. Carol

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 115 of 666

I just received a response from AARP. 3 weeks ago, I wrote this to AARP in a Facebook message(among other places):   "Your Continued association with United Health Care as they discontinue their involvement with the Silver Sneakers program goes against everything you stand for. You're supposed to stand up for us, not stand idly by while we lose benefits. Your formerly good name is inextricably connected to United Health Care while they act in their own interest instead of ours. Why did you allow this to happen? You had the power to say "NO!", but you remained silent. You could have reminded United Health Care that you can lend your name to whichever company you choose. But you remained silent. You and/or UHC thought you could placate those of us who value Silver Sneakers by offering us other choices, none of which is a reasonable alternative. That action suggests that you think we're not smart enough to see what's happening, which is insulting. Why do you insult your members? Have you been reading your own forums? There's quite a lot of activity there concerning this issue. Most people plan to switch away from UHC as soon as they're able. Not only that, but many people are so disappointed, or angry, with AARP, that they will be canceling their membership in your organization. I can't say that I blame them, as you have failed your fundamental purpose in your complacency on this issue. What do we need AARP for? We can lose benefits on our own without your "help". I suggest that you reconsider your actions, and reassert yourself. Each of your millions of members is an individual to whom you owe your best efforts. On this health care issue, you've let every one of your members down." 

Today I got this response:  "Thank your for your feedback . We have indeed received quite a bit related to Silver Sneakers, and we are making sure it gets to folks who work with our partners."  Not exactly an encouraging response, but it was good to confirm they've heard from more than just a few people. 

I responded to this message with this: "Thank you for your response. Frankly, it was unexpected. Remind the "folks" to whom you refer to look at how many people in California are using Silver Sneakers, not just people who have a plan with United Health Care, but also people with a Medicare plan at other companies. That's a much bigger number than your folks may have looked at. Do your folks realize not one of those seniors is going to consider UHC without Silver Sneakers? It makes sense for any company to consider how a decision they make will affect their potential market, but I don't believe your folks looked at the potential market. After all, they are the same people who thought it would be okay to end Silver Sneakers late in the year and not give people adequate notice before the Medicare enrollment period."

Maybe, in another few weeks, AARP will have more to say in another message. I'll keep you posted.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 116 of 666

Just found out from our fitness center that my Silver Sneakers benefit was no longer active.  I am disappointed in AARP and United Healthcare for promoting this benefit during my fall sign up for first time Medicare supplement plan and then discontinuing it without notifying me.  Seems like a bait and switch tactic.  I so sorry I was promoting this insurance to my same age friends. guess I can switch companies for a few months yet since It is my initial sign up and will check into this.   I agree with others that many health conscious individuals will likely be seeking other insurance companies so not good for the insurance pool and cost containment in the long run.  The integrity of AARP and United Healthcare is very much in question for me.  Have been a long time member of AARP.  Very disappointing.  I hope they reconsider this soon and that AARP steps up as the advocate for senior health that they promote themselves to be.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 117 of 666

AARP is essentailly an insurance company.   May be licensed under United Healthcare AARP but they are an insurance company!   Send a letter to you respective Senators!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 118 of 666

I truly feel betrayed by AARP.  Never received a letter.  Otherwise I would have shopped for another HC provider.  Timing is suspect.  No answers and no one seems to care.

It will cost me $330 annually to keep my YMCA member that I use almost daily.  I will not renew with either United Health Care or AARP.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 119 of 666
Thank you for posting. I contacted AARP and was offered no help.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 120 of 666

Perhaps this AARP subsidiary, the one that actually sells the branding,  would be the one to listen to your views and concerns.

AARP Services, Inc.

OUR MISSION To inspire new and innovative business practices, guide consumers to make informed choices, and deliver products and services that better ful ll life-stage needs.

WHO WE ARE AARP Services is a unique advocate for consumers in the marketplace. We strive to make businesses more responsive and attentive to the dynamic 50-plus population. AARP Services, founded in 1999, is a wholly-owned taxable subsidiary of AARP

The PURPOSE

The primary role of AARP Services is to provide quality control, on AARP’s behalf, for the products and services made available to AARP members by leading businesses.

The AARP Services staff: >

• Researches what people 50-plus want and need; >
  • Negotiates special features uniquely suited for consumers 50-plus, as well as differentiated value; >
  • Monitors providers of commercial offers to AARP members to improve customers’ experiences, particularly their overall satisfaction, ease of doing business, and the timeliness and accuracy of offers; and >
  • Provides consulting services to outside companies.

SOCIAL IMPACT AARP’s extensive social-change efforts are primarily supported by the royalty income that AARP receives from licensing its brand to third-party service providers.

MARKET INFLUENCE Just as AARP’s founder shook up the marketplace in the 1950s with pioneering group health insurance and a mail-order pharmacy, AARP Services is leveraging market forces to help people live healthier, more secure and happier lives.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season