Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 101 of 651

Just found out from our fitness center that my Silver Sneakers benefit was no longer active.  I am disappointed in AARP and United Healthcare for promoting this benefit during my fall sign up for first time Medicare supplement plan and then discontinuing it without notifying me.  Seems like a bait and switch tactic.  I so sorry I was promoting this insurance to my same age friends. guess I can switch companies for a few months yet since It is my initial sign up and will check into this.   I agree with others that many health conscious individuals will likely be seeking other insurance companies so not good for the insurance pool and cost containment in the long run.  The integrity of AARP and United Healthcare is very much in question for me.  Have been a long time member of AARP.  Very disappointing.  I hope they reconsider this soon and that AARP steps up as the advocate for senior health that they promote themselves to be.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 651

AARP is essentailly an insurance company.   May be licensed under United Healthcare AARP but they are an insurance company!   Send a letter to you respective Senators!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 651

I truly feel betrayed by AARP.  Never received a letter.  Otherwise I would have shopped for another HC provider.  Timing is suspect.  No answers and no one seems to care.

It will cost me $330 annually to keep my YMCA member that I use almost daily.  I will not renew with either United Health Care or AARP.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 651
Thank you for posting. I contacted AARP and was offered no help.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 651

Perhaps this AARP subsidiary, the one that actually sells the branding,  would be the one to listen to your views and concerns.

AARP Services, Inc.

OUR MISSION To inspire new and innovative business practices, guide consumers to make informed choices, and deliver products and services that better ful ll life-stage needs.

WHO WE ARE AARP Services is a unique advocate for consumers in the marketplace. We strive to make businesses more responsive and attentive to the dynamic 50-plus population. AARP Services, founded in 1999, is a wholly-owned taxable subsidiary of AARP

The PURPOSE

The primary role of AARP Services is to provide quality control, on AARP’s behalf, for the products and services made available to AARP members by leading businesses.

The AARP Services staff: >

• Researches what people 50-plus want and need; >
  • Negotiates special features uniquely suited for consumers 50-plus, as well as differentiated value; >
  • Monitors providers of commercial offers to AARP members to improve customers’ experiences, particularly their overall satisfaction, ease of doing business, and the timeliness and accuracy of offers; and >
  • Provides consulting services to outside companies.

SOCIAL IMPACT AARP’s extensive social-change efforts are primarily supported by the royalty income that AARP receives from licensing its brand to third-party service providers.

MARKET INFLUENCE Just as AARP’s founder shook up the marketplace in the 1950s with pioneering group health insurance and a mail-order pharmacy, AARP Services is leveraging market forces to help people live healthier, more secure and happier lives.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 651

I received a solicitation for a donation in the mail from the AARP Foundation.  I will be returning the request to them with a letter stating that I cannot support them in light of the action of AARP/United HealthCare eliminating the Silver Sneakers Fitness Program.  Hopefully, it will garner some attention.  I cannot support a program that will not support my interests as a member.  Please do likewise. Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 651

This is my fourth posting on our experience with issue of Silver Sneakersprogram being dropped by the AARP endorsed United Healthcare.  I received a telephone call today from an AARP/UHC representative regarding the issues in my previous post in our attempts to sign up for the "new" benefit with our gym, LA Fitness.  As all have read, the "new" fitness program for us in CA is a 50% reduction in the monthly dues and $0 initiation fee, with the sign-up required to be on the HealthYourWay.com website which directs the user to a "special" LA Fitness enrollment page.  The monthly fee on the enrollment page is $22 and the initiation fee is waived.  If one researches the monthly dues at LA Fitness, they will find either $29.99 or $24.99 per month dues depending upon the level of membership desired.  The enrollment/initiation fee is a negoitablefee from our experience.  LA Fitness has told AARP/UHC that their "signature" membership ( I assume that it is an "all club" membership.  There was no descriptor listed on the webpage.) retails at $44.00 and the deal for the AARP/UHC subscribers is thus $22.00.  There is NO negoition of this fee, even though the information above was described.  The representative also informed me that their "new" program will reach out and involve a greater number of the AARP/UHC subscribers and thus promote  fitness to a greater number of seniors.  My remark in turn was that no senior who is getting their fitness benefit from the use of a gym membership will quit that and start exercising in front of a computer screen.  The mission to improve the health of seniors by promoting regular exercise as the Silver Sneakers Program does, is being ignored and contrary to AARP looking out for the seniors (its members).  I did ask the AARP/UHC representative whether she has read the postings.  She admitted to reading some.  I pointed out that there are many other members with the opinion as mine and that there have been over 13,000 veiwings. There are few, if any, topics that have garnered this much interest.  However, she made no indication that the issue will be re-visited. The policy of the gym membership benefit is as they have dictated. Unfortunately for the AARP members, there has not been any posting indicating support from the AARP governing positions or directors.  Until the Board supports the effort, not much can be done short of changing Medicare Supplement Plans, not contributing to AARP functions and Political Action Committee (PAC) effort requests, and cancelling the AARP memberships.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 108 of 651

@valerieb187708 wrote:

well, just checked FLIP50, and sadly, since it's touted as AARP - i don't trust anything they support or recommend, so i'll just (hopefully) shovel snow, run up and down the steps, garden in the spring, and feel energized not get ripped off by AARP again!    

Tivity Health is the company that owns both the Silver Sneakers program and the FLIP50 program.  

Tivity Health announces AARP FLIP50 Healthy Lifestyle Program

Edited to add:  you could also check to see if the Silver Sneakers FLEX program is offered in some area in your community - sometimes they offer this program, depending upon the extent of their classes, at a very cheap price even if you aren't eligible via an insurance plan.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 651

tax exempt?      sickening.     but not surprising.      bottom line is always $$$$.    and we all pay for it.     disgusting.     so glad i won't renew and will change insurance companies.    

valerieb
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 110 of 651

Don’t think AARP should be tax exempt. Don’t represent me anymore.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors