Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 61 of 603

tax exempt?      sickening.     but not surprising.      bottom line is always $$$$.    and we all pay for it.     disgusting.     so glad i won't renew and will change insurance companies.    

valerieb
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 603

Don’t think AARP should be tax exempt. Don’t represent me anymore.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 603

Not sure why AARP (tax exempt insurance company) want to try and duplicate silver sneakers.  Silver sneakers has programs and help, not just using a fitness center.

SilverSneakers Newsletter <support@silversneakers.com>

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 603

Thank you for posting this information.

I too am disgusted that this program has been dropped.  I did not recieve any notice from AARP that they were terminating the program or receive any list of possible insurance aletrnatives that may include the program. 

Replacing it with a 50% off program does mean hardship for some seniors- most gymns have additional fees that must be paid resulting in large expenditures for so many that have- like me- used the program for many years.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 603

Do you think AARP has seniors as their most important focus? Well according to an investigative report the U.S. Congress did in 2011, their focus is on making money for themselves, not in the wellbeing of seniors. In 2011 they were the 6th largest insurance company according to the report. They are a nonprofit organization and pay very little to no taxes on the billions they make from endorsements from insurance companies such as UHC and other products they put their branding on. Congress at the time wanted the IRS to investigate their nonprofit status, but that was never done. Most likely due to their heavy lobbying efforts of the AARP to Congress.

Another interesting thing that happened was the report disappeared from the government website in 2012 (other reports are still available from that time period) but I managed to find another link which you can see below. There is also a video posted of some of the investigative hearing on the SeniorSavingsNetwork.org website. You can also find the report at their website.

Very interesting reading, especially if you are a senior and have AARP/United Health Care as your insurance. Finding this report and related information all came about because UHC dropping Silver Sneakers for their own crappy program that no one wants to accept plus what was free now will cost 50% of the gym fee. Oh, by the way, UHC is raising their rates in the spring.

Bottom line, don't trust anything AARP says or at least take it with a grain of salt. They are not interested in your well being. Here is the link:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y9sunpht

Most likely this post will disappear quickly from the forum (just as the report did from the Congressional website), so make sure you download the PDF so you can share with your senior friends.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 66 of 603

Medical mutual is not listed in my state Or in several others that I checked. Seems Ohio only.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 603

Medical mutual is not listed in my state Or in several others that I checked. Seems Ohio only.  And I noticed that the deductibles for all Gap programs have increased at least $2,000. Wow.  I understand that the federal gov is trying to radically change Medicare and trying to push everyone into an Advantage/HMO type policy.   We need to eliminate the concept of 'in-network'.  Let everyone then have a lower cost gap policy that will allow all to select own doctors, hospitals, clinics, and labs.  Insurance companies could then eliminate 1/3 of their costs trying to get medical folks to sign in-network contracts.   

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 603

Check out Medical Mutual of Ohio, I switched to them with the F plan and it was cheaper includes Silver Sneakers!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 603

AARP/UHC has a problem.

AARP sold its name. No longer represents me.

Google UHC CEO compensation for 2018!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 603

well, just checked FLIP50, and sadly, since it's touted as AARP - i don't trust anything they support or recommend, so i'll just (hopefully) shovel snow, run up and down the steps, garden in the spring, and feel energized not get ripped off by AARP again!    

valerieb
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors