Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 71 of 603

sure has been great reading all of the responses to this.      haven't called yet to get the 'secret code' or whatever it is to replace the silver sneakers here in ohio.     and just saw someone mentioned flip50.     never heard of that but will check it out.      the whole thing is ridiculous and has anyone noticed all of the AARP commercials on TV?     no wonder since so many of us aren't renewing!!

valerieb
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 72 of 603

I am angry at United Health Insurace medigap program. I really enjoyed using Silver Sneakers membership of accessing different facilities and classes for my health program. Water aerobic at one site, Zumba at another, and gym time at even a third site.  I think the Silver Sneakers news letter, website, and health information is excellent, top-notch.   I am still receiving their newsletter by email.  So, please consider requesting the e-newsletter on the Silver Sneakers website even if your health insurance provider has stopped allowing you to use Silver Sneakers.  

I also reviewed the new program that United Health is now using.   In my estimation, the website is sorely lacking and the information provided is very minimal.  Shame. 

I know that there is a cost for every service program that the insurer utilizes.  Yes, there is a cost for the call-in that United is now using. But for seniors, it is a real health advantage to be able to access the various exercise classes.  

For me, I will be exercising less because access now to those various classes are financially out of reach. 

I will be looking for a new gap insurance at end of 2019.  Shame on United Health!! 

For AARP,  concentrate on including La Fitness into you current Flip50 benefit.  I would pay the low monthy cost to be able to access all those facilities that visited in 2018.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 603

Yep.  Searched for Renew Active and found the following on their website:

In 2019, Renew Active will be available to members of certain eligible plans in the states of AZ, CA, CT, FL, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MN, MO, NC, NE, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, TX, UT, WA, and WI.

2. Who can use the program?
Plan members of an eligible Medicare Advantage Plan insured by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company in participating states can use this program.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 603

Indiana dropped Silver Sneakers for all plans.  The Flip50 may be the way to go.  Would be even better if LA Fitness joined this also.  I use both the Y & La Fitness.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 603

Sorry - the link to the article from NPR did not work as expected.  Let's try this one:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/12/04/673249571/unitedhealthcare-customers-are-unhapp...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 603

Though a little dated (December '18) here's a link to an article about just this topic: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/12/04/673249571/unitedhealthcare-customers-are-unhap...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 603

A few UHC plans still have the Silver Sneakers, but the Advantage and Supplemental have been dropped. 

I talked with Silver Sneakers and the representative estimated that the cost to the insurance company was $20-$25 dollars per month per member. I'm sure the new plan must cost at least $1.19 per month. So if they loose enough people, their greed will be appropriately rewarded. 

Send the only message that UHC will understand - get a new policy with a different insurance company.

dcobb
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 603

Silver sneakers called me, and I had already gotten the green light from my gym that everything was a missunderstanding and I could go back to the gym, which I did yesterday.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 603

Is SilverSneakers giving a grace period.  I could still use the SilverSneakers at la fitness’ in California when are they going to cut us off

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 603

I was lucky, I had heard there was a change.  But when I phoned UHC they said "there is no date to end the program in Calfornia - but that it was happening in other states"

On my next visit to the gym they had put up notices suggesting that we check our coverage.  The NEXT time I called UHC they said that yes Silver Sneakers woul NOT be covered in 2019.

This was around December 1st - so I had a few days to change insurers - which I did.

Then around December 14th I got the official notice from UHC.

Geoff

Kudos
Views