Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 131 of 651

If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, one may switch from your Medicare Advantage Plan (excluding Medical Savings Accounts, cost plans, and PACE) to another Medicare Advantage Plan, or to Original Medicare with or without a stand-alone prescription drug plan (Part D), during the Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period (MA OEP).

The MA OEP occurs each year from January 1 through March 31. Remember, you can only use this enrollment period if you have a Medicare Advantage Plan. Changes made during this period take effect the first of the month following the month you enroll. For example, if you switch to a new Medicare Advantage Plan in February, your new coverage begins March 1.

For info, go to https://www.medicareinteractive.org/get-answers/medicare-health-coverage-options/changing-medicare-c... 

or https://medicare.com/medicare-advantage/new-open-enrollment-period-for-medicare-advantage/

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 132 of 651

Not a moot point, I switched away from UHC-AARP. I am disgusted with how they cancelled Silver Sneakers suddenly and without enough warning for many to change policies. I was able to switch to Medical Mutual AFTER the Dec 7 deadline because they have opened up a way to move over to them with NO health questions and open enrollment until I think June. If you are unhappy with this dirty trick, check into Medical Mutual now. I not only got Silver Sneakers back, but I am saving money every month!! Same Plan G, same great coverage. This applies to anyone who currrently has a Medicare supplement and wants to change to Med Mutual.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 133 of 651

I switched away from UHC-AARP. I am disgusted with how they cancelled Silver Sneakers suddenly and without enough warning for many to change policies. I was able to switch to Medical Mutual AFTER the Dec 7 deadline because they have opened up a way to move over to them with NO health questions and open enrollment until I think June. If you are unhappy with this dirty trick, check into Medical Mutual now. I not only got Silver Sneakers back, but I am saving money every month!! Same Plan G, same great coverage. This applies to anyone who currrently has a Medicare supplement and wants to change to Med Mutual.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 134 of 651

Not a moot point. I switched away from UHC-AARP. I am disgusted with how they cancelled Silver Sneakers suddenly and without enough warning for many to change policies. I was able to switch to Medical Mutual AFTER the Dec 7 deadline because they have opened up a way to move over to them with NO health questions and open enrollment until I think June. If you are unhappy with this dirty trick, check into Medical Mutual now. I not only got Silver Sneakers back, but I am saving money every month!! Same Plan G, same great coverage. This applies to anyone who currrently has a Medicare supplement and wants to change to Med Mutual.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 135 of 651

I, too switched away from UHC-AARP. I am disgusted with how they cancelled Silver Sneakers suddenly and without enough warning for many to change policies. I was able to switch to Medical Mutual AFTER the Dec 7 deadline because they have opened up a way to move over to them with NO health questions and open enrollment until I think June. If you are unhappy with this dirty trick, check into Medical Mutual now. I not only got Silver Sneakers back, but I am saving money every month!! Same Plan G, same great coverage. This applies to anyone who currrently has a Medicare supplement and wants to change to Med Mutual.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 136 of 651

I , too switched away from UHC-AARP. I am disgusted with how they cancelled Silver Sneakers suddenly and without enough warning for many to change policies. I was able to switch to Medical Mutual AFTER the Dec 7 deadline because they have opened up a way to move over to them with NO health questions and open enrollment until I think June. If you are unhappy with this dirty trick, check into Medical Mutual now. I not only got Silver Sneakers back, but I am saving money every month!! Same Plan G, same great coverage. This applies to anyone who currrently has a Medicare supplement and wants to change to Med Mutual.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 137 of 651

I don't think we were getting anything for free.  We were paying for SilverSneakers as part of the health insurance package we were buying.  The presence of SilverSneakers made buying AARP-UHC insurance an attractive package.  In my case it was only a few weeks after beginning coverage with AARP-UHC that they changed what they were selling by removing SilverSneakers and replacing it with something that isn't nearly as good.  This changed my evaluation of the value of what I was purchasing through AARP-UHC from "attractive" to "unattractive".  Now I have the same package I used to have with AARP-UHC from Blue Cross - Blue Shield of Arizona for a little less money.  I came out of it okay, AARP-UHC loses my business and BCBS-AZ has a new customer.  Furthermore, I have no reason to renew my AARP membership.  I see only one loser in this situation.

The perks were part of the total package that AARP-UHC was offering.  Then they decided to change the package.  The result is a simple case of business economics.  Offer less value for the same price and you'll lose customers.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 138 of 651

I know same here, I can't get a straight answer from anyone. This is a mess but I don't want to pay when I was getting it free all this time.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 139 of 651

LA fitness waives the initiation fees.  What they do is automatically give you 50% off of their top membership but they are adding a racquetball cost to the membership. 

The membership for all clubs plus any state is 29.99 but they add racquetball courts to the membership which is an additional fee. So when I signed up it just didn’t give you the choice to not have racquetball. I play racquetball so it was fine with me, but most seniors don’t want that.  Another thing is they didn’t give the choice of just going to one club in which the membership is 24.99 a month.  Most people only go to the club near their home.  So what I am paying is 22.00 per month.  50% of  30.00 (15.00) plus 7.00 for racquetball and towels.  My club doesn’t have towels. I have to go talk to them about that.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 140 of 651

Thank you the information!  I too plan to sign up at LA Fitness in Pasadena using the UHC AARP Medigap Plan G benefit.  I need to know if 50% of all standard membership charges are covered, including the initiation fee, monthly dues, and annual fee.

I look forward to seeing what you find out and learning the procedures I need to follow to get the discount.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors