From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 151 of 651

I agree that AARP has both 50 to 64 year olds and over 65.  

The site you put on was in response to why AARP was in favor of Afforable Care Act.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with any these posts or the suits against AARP and revenue from UHC.

Medigap/supplement plans are really all the same for every single plan as laid out by the government.  EX. Plan G is the same medical coverage for all companies. Medicare is the primary for all these supplement plans and supplements pay the left over amounts depending on the plan letter.  There is some cost difference and it seems (maybe because of the money UHC give AARP) that  AARP UHC is not the cheapest.

So when AARP and UHC charges more and takes away a great program like silver sneakers (which is Not part of any regulated plan just great to have),

it makes both AARP (which is like a non profit insurance company) and UHC look like they do not care for the over 65 year members.  These older members have the right to complain and sign up for a a difference medicare supplement company which many are doing! And drop both AARP and UHC which they should.  I'm not sure why persons in their 50's join AARP other than discounts which you can get by AAA and others.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 152 of 651

That's why I posted the address and name of head for the AARP Services, Inc. for people to express their displeasure - 

When AARP gave their responses to this investigation, they posted their response on their website.

AARP 11/2012 - AARP Responds to Congressional Inquiries

They stated that there is a decision making process and this is how they described it:

AARP - AARP Services Inc Decision Process

AARP Services, Inc.

AARP has always been committed to fighting for the 50-plus in both the public and the private sectors. As with policy decisions, AARP-branded product decisions begin with the needs of all those over 50. AARP Services, Inc. (ASI) is AARP’s wholly-owned, taxable subsidiary, which provides quality control and oversight on behalf of AARP for AARP-branded products and services. Feedback from AARP members and the 50-plus market helps ASI explore product concepts, which are then reviewed by the ASI product team, AARP staff and AARP’s Board of Directors to ensure they are in line with AARP’s public policy, social change and membership goals. Once these reviews are complete, product development and implementation begins. Throughout this process ASI oversees and monitors providers to ensure that products with the AARP-brand deliver value to AARP members and hopefully change the marketplace to benefit the entire 50+ population.

This Silver Sneakers coverage problem does NOT include all the membership since only those 65 and over can qualify for a Medicare insurance plan - Medigap or Medicare Advantage - with a few disabled in some states who get SSDI and thus are eligible for Medicare.

AARP is suppose to make decision for their membership - it is a 501(c)(4).

Well the membership has lots of differing descriptions -

• 50 years old or older
  • NOT all of them qualify for Medicare 
  • NOT all of them can afford a Medigap plan
  • NOT all of them are concerned with an exercise program

I feel like I am an unbiased source here - 

I am not a member but do understand their need to bring in income over and above membership dues.  I do not have a Medicare Insurance plan - Medigap nor MA plan.  

The AARP Foundation is where they work for ALL seniors and that subsidiary is a charitable non-profit - 501(c)(3).

Each person that is eligible for a Medigap or Medicare Advantage plan should understand how they work and which one is best for their own needs.  They need to understand the consumer protection which are built into each of them by rules from the Feds and their state.

These "extra" benefits built into ANY Medicare insurance plan can change.  The difference is that switching a Medicare Advantage plan is made very simple by the Annual Open enrollment period.

There is a lot more to consider when switching a Medigap insurer when guaranteed issue rights are not assured.  

The BS Innovative Plan F is probably fine but will they take people from another insurer with only a Plan F,  not Innovative?  Will they do it for someone who has a pre existing condition and not disqualify it from coverage for a set period, or deny them coverage altogether?

Will they not underwrite them and charge them more for their premiums?

Will their premiums not escalate down the road because of their rating method?

AARP United Healthcare Medicare Supplemental plans  are group coverage that uses a Community Rating method in all the states where they sell this coverage.  What rating method does the BS Innovative Plan F use - or is it based on the state where the policy is written?

Community Rating is usually the slowest to rise followed by Issue age and then Attained age.  So sometimes people are making a decision to switch their Medigap plan because they are following this Silver Sneakers "extra" benefit and they are just considering the premium right here and now - what happens when that new "attained age" premium starts to rise each year as they get older (and perhaps sick or sicker).  How are they gonna deal then?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 153 of 651

It always has been a business. Important to see the House Ways and Means Committee report that someone just had removed from the public rolls online...but it is here:

https://seniorsavingsnetwork.org/ways-and-means-committee-report-on-aarp-removed-from-site/

The Blue Shield Innovative Plan F is a great plan..more benefits and less cost. We can help with that. (800-729-9590).

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 154 of 651

Attention all those who think they cannot switch to another company until next December. Medical Mutual of Ohio is currently allowing those of us who have a Medicare Supplement with another company to switch to them with no health questions asked and you can do this for a few more months. I did it after December 7th and got my Silver Sneakers back AND saved money each month. I will not be sorry I made this move!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 155 of 651

I too will continue to follow this. 

And like many of you, I've just dropped United Heath Care in favor of Anthem Blue Cross!  My coverage is effective January 1st.  I went with Innovative F which is the "F Plan" with some vision and hearing aid benefits.  Obviously, it has Silver Sneakers too!  And best of all, the total cost is LESS than United Health and by paying a single annual payment, you get a bigger discount!

We need to all remember, AARP has become a "business."  I do think that some work they do is really and helpful for seniors but it's a business making money!   

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 156 of 651

Remember when Coca Cola introduced their new formula, then changed back right away? Remember when Netflix discontinued DVDs and said you could only stream, then changed back right away? 

Well, I have left UHC and my husband will leave on his birthday (Calif), but I will continue to watch their decisions just out of curiosity.  They are either incredibly smart or ridiculously stupid. Either way, their strategy will likely make a good case study for upcoming marketing students.

Will be a long time before I will trust AARP or UHC.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  I hope everyone finds a reasonable solution for their exercise needs. Here's to a helathy 2019. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 157 of 651

Guess what? I typed in HealthYourWay.com like you mailer suggested and I got sent to a TRUMP health care place. You sell outs! 

Im handicapped and LA Fitness and your other choice places have no pools. I can only do water exercises. Silver Sneakers was accepted at the Cuyahoga Falls Natatorium. Thanks for nothing. You increased my premium and lowered the care. Humana plans get Silver Sneakers. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 158 of 651
Well that is a whole lot of nothing. This is the same post they put out earlier and does not adequatley address the issue. It's facinating to me that if AARP and UHC and Silver Sneakers all decided to drop from UHC because not enough people were participating, why are other insurance companies picking it up? Why is it now available in the Advantage Plans? I am seeing lots of ads in print and on TV now for Medicare Advantage Plans SHOUTING that they now have Silver Sneakers. Such a load of you know what coming from AARP/UHC. It's all about $$$ folks......but then we already know that.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 159 of 651

Thank you so much for doing the research on this and posting the links.  Reluctantly I am now convinced that AARP is not living up to the values it preaches. I will be ending my membership with them accordingly.  They are NOT looking out for the welfare of seniors.  This organization is strictly a money-making FOR PROFIT organization and should be stripped of its Non-Profit Status.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 160 of 651

Google UHC CEO compensation for previous years. I’m dropping AARP also.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season