Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 181 of 679

It always has been a business. Important to see the House Ways and Means Committee report that someone just had removed from the public rolls online...but it is here:

https://seniorsavingsnetwork.org/ways-and-means-committee-report-on-aarp-removed-from-site/

The Blue Shield Innovative Plan F is a great plan..more benefits and less cost. We can help with that. (800-729-9590).

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 182 of 679

Attention all those who think they cannot switch to another company until next December. Medical Mutual of Ohio is currently allowing those of us who have a Medicare Supplement with another company to switch to them with no health questions asked and you can do this for a few more months. I did it after December 7th and got my Silver Sneakers back AND saved money each month. I will not be sorry I made this move!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 183 of 679

I too will continue to follow this. 

And like many of you, I've just dropped United Heath Care in favor of Anthem Blue Cross!  My coverage is effective January 1st.  I went with Innovative F which is the "F Plan" with some vision and hearing aid benefits.  Obviously, it has Silver Sneakers too!  And best of all, the total cost is LESS than United Health and by paying a single annual payment, you get a bigger discount!

We need to all remember, AARP has become a "business."  I do think that some work they do is really and helpful for seniors but it's a business making money!   

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 184 of 679

Remember when Coca Cola introduced their new formula, then changed back right away? Remember when Netflix discontinued DVDs and said you could only stream, then changed back right away? 

Well, I have left UHC and my husband will leave on his birthday (Calif), but I will continue to watch their decisions just out of curiosity.  They are either incredibly smart or ridiculously stupid. Either way, their strategy will likely make a good case study for upcoming marketing students.

Will be a long time before I will trust AARP or UHC.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  I hope everyone finds a reasonable solution for their exercise needs. Here's to a helathy 2019. 

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 185 of 679

Guess what? I typed in HealthYourWay.com like you mailer suggested and I got sent to a TRUMP health care place. You sell outs! 

Im handicapped and LA Fitness and your other choice places have no pools. I can only do water exercises. Silver Sneakers was accepted at the Cuyahoga Falls Natatorium. Thanks for nothing. You increased my premium and lowered the care. Humana plans get Silver Sneakers. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 186 of 679
Well that is a whole lot of nothing. This is the same post they put out earlier and does not adequatley address the issue. It's facinating to me that if AARP and UHC and Silver Sneakers all decided to drop from UHC because not enough people were participating, why are other insurance companies picking it up? Why is it now available in the Advantage Plans? I am seeing lots of ads in print and on TV now for Medicare Advantage Plans SHOUTING that they now have Silver Sneakers. Such a load of you know what coming from AARP/UHC. It's all about $$$ folks......but then we already know that.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 187 of 679

Thank you so much for doing the research on this and posting the links.  Reluctantly I am now convinced that AARP is not living up to the values it preaches. I will be ending my membership with them accordingly.  They are NOT looking out for the welfare of seniors.  This organization is strictly a money-making FOR PROFIT organization and should be stripped of its Non-Profit Status.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 188 of 679

Google UHC CEO compensation for previous years. I’m dropping AARP also.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 189 of 679

The only reason I joined AARP was to get the United Healthcare Supplement. With UHC not continuing with Silver Sneakers, I see no need to continue with either of these organizations. The 24 Hour Fitness would not accept the confirmation code from UHC for the 50% off. UHC says that 24 Hour needs to call them - they would not call 24 Hour to help rectify this problem. 

There are many AARP UHC members in my former Silver Sneakers or whatever it is being called now. I have spent a lot of time talking with membership at 24 Hour and being forwarded from AARP to many people in UHC - but, no one except me, a customer, is doing anything to try to fix the problem. And the listing for fitness centers shows my 24 Hour fitness as having a pool, which it does not. Would love to have had a senior-friendly pool to use.

I am on disability and what might not seem like a lot of money (50% off of membership fee) to some is impossible for me.It is good to know the AARP really doesn't care, because it did not seem to fight for the Silver Sneakers benefit to continue.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 190 of 679

To add a bit more about the relationship of United Health Group ( United Healthcare ) and AARP, specifically in the realm of branded Medigap plans and their cost to beneficiaries -

Court House News Service 02/18/2018 - (Florida) - Class Claims AARP Bilking Seniors Through Insuranc...

In this case, the wording of "commissions" equals "royalties".

The actual case filing -

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/AARP-and-UnitedHealth.pdf

I do not know where this case stands at the present time but it is interesting especially since many of you here feel that AARP owes some advocacy in the regards of specific (special) coverage to members - 

Is it "Royalties" or if it "Commissions" - ??  Or are they somewhat the same ?

Royalties - Royalties are payments of various types to owners of property for use of that property. Royalties usually deal with payments for the right to use intellectual property, like copyrights, patents, and trademarks.

Commissions - a fee paid to an agent or employee for transacting a piece of business or performing a service especially : a percentage of the money received from a total paid to the agent responsible for the business.

Seems to me that the choice that is made here by these definitions would determine whether or not there is any responsibility for advocacy in respect to the represented membership of the organization.

Just some thoughts -  Anything involving money and business is always more complicated than what it might seem on the surface - be that business model FOR-profit or NON-profit.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views