Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 111 of 602

Google UHC CEO compensation for previous years. I’m dropping AARP also.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 112 of 602

The only reason I joined AARP was to get the United Healthcare Supplement. With UHC not continuing with Silver Sneakers, I see no need to continue with either of these organizations. The 24 Hour Fitness would not accept the confirmation code from UHC for the 50% off. UHC says that 24 Hour needs to call them - they would not call 24 Hour to help rectify this problem. 

There are many AARP UHC members in my former Silver Sneakers or whatever it is being called now. I have spent a lot of time talking with membership at 24 Hour and being forwarded from AARP to many people in UHC - but, no one except me, a customer, is doing anything to try to fix the problem. And the listing for fitness centers shows my 24 Hour fitness as having a pool, which it does not. Would love to have had a senior-friendly pool to use.

I am on disability and what might not seem like a lot of money (50% off of membership fee) to some is impossible for me.It is good to know the AARP really doesn't care, because it did not seem to fight for the Silver Sneakers benefit to continue.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 113 of 602

To add a bit more about the relationship of United Health Group ( United Healthcare ) and AARP, specifically in the realm of branded Medigap plans and their cost to beneficiaries -

Court House News Service 02/18/2018 - (Florida) - Class Claims AARP Bilking Seniors Through Insuranc...

In this case, the wording of "commissions" equals "royalties".

The actual case filing -

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/AARP-and-UnitedHealth.pdf

I do not know where this case stands at the present time but it is interesting especially since many of you here feel that AARP owes some advocacy in the regards of specific (special) coverage to members - 

Is it "Royalties" or if it "Commissions" - ??  Or are they somewhat the same ?

Royalties - Royalties are payments of various types to owners of property for use of that property. Royalties usually deal with payments for the right to use intellectual property, like copyrights, patents, and trademarks.

Commissions - a fee paid to an agent or employee for transacting a piece of business or performing a service especially : a percentage of the money received from a total paid to the agent responsible for the business.

Seems to me that the choice that is made here by these definitions would determine whether or not there is any responsibility for advocacy in respect to the represented membership of the organization.

Just some thoughts -  Anything involving money and business is always more complicated than what it might seem on the surface - be that business model FOR-profit or NON-profit.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 114 of 602
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 115 of 602

@don1cobb wrote:

And wouldn't it be interesting to know how much AARP is paid to flog these policies to us. 

Here is AARP's 2016 Non-profit report (Form 990) - that is the last one that I could find.

https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/about_aarp/annual_reports/2017/form-990-2016-aarp.pdf

Royalties - which are a non-tax item for charitable organizations under unrelated income defined by the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicr80.pdf

are shown in Part VIII - Statement of Revenue, page 9, line 5 -  Form 990 -Royalty amount of $ 880,148, 099.  Now this is the total amount from all of the AARP Insurance Plan programs for this reporting period - I am assuming from their description that these are only the ones for which you have to be a member of AARP in order to participate.

On Schedule O page 2, AARP describes this Royalty income as this:

The AARP Insurance Plan is a grantor trust established by an Agreement and Declaration of Trust for the purpose of making group health insurance and other health-related products and services available to AARP, Inc. members. Agreements between AARP, Inc., AARP Services, Inc., and several insurance companies enable AARP-branded insurance products to be made available to AARP members.

At the direction of the third party insurance carriers, the Plan pays AARP, Inc. a portion of the total premiums collected for the use of its intellectual property, which is reported as royalties in the consolidated statements of activities.

BTW, the amount a company pays to AARP for these royalties, I.e. the use of their intellectual property - the AARP name - is also deductible as a business expense on the company's return - a cost of doing business.

So, if a person also deducts the amount of this insurance on their personal return - Schedule B - it becomes a tax expenditure for taxpayers - meaning it cost tax money to give this deduction since it has never been taxed at any level.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 116 of 602

Are we being too hard on UHC?

After all, they only make (as in profit) about a Billion dollars per month. And they only have $38 billion in the bank.  (per SEC filing 10-Q for the third quarter 2018). And the top two executives only make $18 million eachper year. 

And wouldn't it be interesting to know how much AARP is paid to flog these policies to us. 

So maybe we arn't being too hard after all.

dcobb
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 117 of 602

I am leaving AARP and UHC because of this.  Active seniors are healthy seniors and cutting gym membership is counter-productive...except for stockholders, of course.  And executives.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 118 of 602

I called UHC today (1/3/19) to get the code needed to take advantage of the half price membership offer. I was told that the program is not yet set up and codes aren’t available. In addition, the letter I received in December listed 2 gyms I could join. One location has been closed for several years and the other gym gets bad reviews for lack of cleanliness.  Since  the local gym is unacceptable, my plan was to join a Y in a city I visit frequently that offers Silver Sneakers and then be able to use Y facilities when I travel.I was told that I had to use the code  in my local area and there is no Y in my area.  Just way too many hurdles.  Appears that UHC and AARP don’t have our best interests at heart.

Come on AARP, advocate for us as you are being paid to do and insist that UHC reinstate Silver Sneakers. There are other insurance companies out there and perhaps AARP should look into moving insureds to one of those. Otherwise individuals can do it for themselves and leave AARP behind.

Bottom line, Silver Sneakers offers many health advantages and discontinuing it is not in members best interests.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 119 of 602

Good idea.  It might be effective to print out your email and mail it to the AARP mailing address.  I don't have AARP's address offhand but I am sure it can be found online.  I think their headquarters are in Washington D.C.  Maybe going "old school" will make AARP sit up and take notice.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 120 of 602

As soon as I can secure another supplement I will cancel UHC.  Even if I never used Silver Sneakers it’s a slap in the face of each of us.  My wife has UHC through the state of NC and they did NOT lose Silver Sneakers.  Her premium is basically nothing each month and I pay $182.. Totally unbelievable.....

Kudos
Views