Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 201 of 678

My husband and I had a lot of difficulty just signing up for LA Fitness. For me it was trying to enter the code on LA Fitness website. Had to call UHC to know where that was hidden on their webpage. Once that was found the LA Fitness mobile app was confusing. I was to create an account and needed to put in a barcode. The one given wouldn't work so by chance I tried a key tag number that was listed on the email sent regarding my membership. That worked. Then it askes for 5 digits but not any info could be seen as to what that was. Finally figured out that it had something to do with monthly billing. Lots of wasted time and frustration. 

My husband couldn't access healthyourway to get his code. He spent 45 minutes with several people without resolving the problem. He tried again the next day and was told there was trouble with the website and they gave him his code. 

This change has made it very difficult for seniors to get a membership due to problems with their website and LA Fitness website. This was not thought through. The added cost will also keep many from even using gyms. Very poor decision making. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 202 of 678

Why did you drop silver sneakers this was so great for us seniors most of us can’t afford to buy a membership and have more monthly fees .AARP United health I have always raved about you to others to whom did not gave AARP United Health and have had most of them change . So I’m so sad I will not be able to continue going to the gym yet you want us to stay healthy well this is how we are able to stay healthy. 

Thank you

Donna Sherman

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 203 of 678

I am also upset. Tried sending emails. Not only is the cost going up, the locations are extremely limited. I feel we have been betrayed by AARP who claims to be the seniors advocate.  They are willing to sponsor United Healthcare regardless of the negative impact of discontinuing SilverSneakers. The programs being substituted are neither convenient nor affordable. 

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 204 of 678

I went to healthyourway.com and got my code on the 31st Dec. I followed the link and at first it showed the rate everyone else got.  You have to put the confirmation number in to show the discount.  It did waive the initiation fee but it signs you up to LA fitness signature where you use the club everywhere and it included racquetball and towel service. I play racquetball so that part was fine.  They did give 50% off of 29.00 membership plus the 7.00.    Where I am disappointed is what if I didn’t play racquetball why should I pay for it and I only use the one club it would be nice if I had the choice of that. The price for one club is 25.00. I don’t care about the $2.00 difference in membership but as I said if I only use one club and don’t play racquetball my dues should be 12.50 a month. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 205 of 678

And those of us who have already moved to another insurance provider should email them and tell them we'll leave them too if they get rid of SilverSneakers or Silver and Fit.  After all, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure (unless you're using the metric system).

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 206 of 678

For those who are trying to enroll in the fitness benefit that replaced Silver Sneakers, you need to call UHC to obtain a confirmation code to take to you gym. Call the number on the back of your ID card. For me this was 1-800-523-5800. Right now the phone lines are very busy. I was first on hold for 20 minutes and when a representative finally answered she said she could not hear me. When I called back the representative said that their system to enter info to retrieve my confirmation code was not working and asked that I call back in a few hours. I also tried to obtain my confirmation code online at Healthyourway.com. But, alas, that wasn't working either and I was directed to call the above reference phone number. Sigh!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 207 of 678

This is my second post regarding the Silver Sneakers issue.  Please be reminded that according to the letter, to get this special benefit from AARP/UHC, the member must use the website provided.  I was given a website on United HealthCare's (UHC) which would activate the new program for 2019.  UHC would not give me permission to access the site until January 1, 2019.  Thus, one of the first things on my agenda for 2019 was to access the site.  Here is my experience for a CA member:  The discount "deal" for LA Fitness was no deal at all.  The offer on the site was identical to the membership arrangements given by the club for walk-ins- $99 activation fee and $29.95 per month.  If you had a previous membership with LA Fitness (that the member was paying themselves) $25 activation and $24.95 a month.  These so called deals are a far cry from 50% off the monthly dues and waived activation fees.  Again, AARP needs to listen to its membership and act accordingly.  If UHC refuses, then AARP should withwraw any and all endorsements from them.  There are many other insurance companies who would gladly assume the AARP members and their retirement dollars. As of this posting, there have been over 13,000 views on this topic.  That should indicate the weight of this concern to all involved.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 208 of 678

Everyone needs to write a letter to UHC, since they don't have an email address and let them know of our extreme dissappointment!!!

United Health Care

POBox 30607

Salt Lake City, Utah   84130-0607

Flood them with letters!!!!

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 209 of 678

The main reason I joined AARP was to prevent exactly what is happening, a business wants to make more money so they cut benefits and raise prices. So UHC thinks they will make more money and they don't care that many of their customers will be denied a valuable health benefit as well as the benefit that many derive from the social contact. I realize not everyone uses Silver Sneakers, but many people do. Just in my small town there are over 800 memebers loosing their Silver Sneakers benefits. Our only option is to join a much smaller gym and pay for the privilege. But if you expect any better treatment from UHC you must be new around here.

However, AARP is a different story. They are supposed to protect us and champion our causes. So what did they do to protect us in this situation - nothing. They must realize that this move will result in the degradation of their members health and well being. Yet no action was taken, only the lame excuse that "we didn't cut your benefits, UHC did". Yes, but you have done little to stop this injustice. Oh wait, you do derive substantial financial benefits from endorsing UHC insurance. Now I get it. You view us members as a source of money, not as people to be protected. And the joke is on us, we pay for that privilege. 

Well don't count on that revenue stream from me in the future. I can be taken advantage of without your help.

dcobb
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 210 of 678
Did you try Humana? I was able to beat UHC rate by $50 and they have silver sneakers.
Kudos
Views